PS Vue

39,164 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dodger02
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those using...
Do you like it? Why/Why not?
Does it have streaming and On Demand? Limitations?
Can streaming be recorded (sports, awards shows, etc...)?
How does it work on non-PS devices?
Any buffering/lag issues?
ryanhnc10
AG
Love it! Now has all the local channels so I don't have to use an antenna.

There is a cloud DVR that will keep your shows for 28 days. Could be a bit more user friendly in notifying you when a new show is ready to watch.

When you flip a channel it'll take a second or two for the quality to reset. Only experienced a bit of lag a couple of times in 3 months. Nothing that has lasted more than a minute or two.
ryanhnc10
AG
Also I use it on a PS4 an Amazon Fire stick and via a chrome cast and they all work fine
chjoak
AG
Saw that you can only stream on 1 PS4 at a time. Can you stream on more than 1 Firestick at a time?

Any on demand content?
ryanhnc10
AG
I have 1 ps4, an iPhone, a fire stick, and a chrome cast. I don't have multiple of the same device to test your question but I can stream from ps4 and the other devices at the same time without issue.

It will not work if you go to a friends house and try and use their ps4 to stream your service. You can watch some things on your phone outside your house but others are mobile restricted.

There is on demand content, but it's organized differently. For instance I added showtime and I favorited the show penny dreadful. The previous 5 or 6 episodes of this season are on demand and it'll automatically have the new episodes available as they air.

WoMD
How often do they add new channels to the service? I'll sign up the day they add MLB Network and BBC (I might be able to live without this one).
hph6203
AG
quote:
Saw that you can only stream on 1 PS4 at a time. Can you stream on more than 1 Firestick at a time?

Any on demand content?

Pretty sure that's only a limitation if the PS4, because it's attached to your PSN account and you can only login to one PS4 at a time with your PSN account. They advertise 5 concurrent streams as a feature, so imagine that means on any device.

PSN sucks is why it can't be multiple PS4's, not PS Vue's fault.
kyledr04
AG
Do they have local channels in College Station? Hard to tell from the website.
hph6203
AG
It doesn't. You might be better off that it doesn't. In Dallas it costs $10 more per month because of the local channels and doesn't include ABC. You can get an antenna and a DVR box like Tablo or Tivo.
ryanhnc10
AG
ABC was added within the last couple of weeks in Houston. I now have all the main local channels
flintdragon
AG
I'm on the 1 week trial for the Aggie regional baseball games. I don't think I will subscribe because:
1. I don't have PS4
2. the only app is on fire stick and when I used it, it was almost unusably slow and I hated the interface. Don't know if it was the stick or the app but I don't plan to use it ever again. That's how bad it was.
3. tried watchespn casted to chromecast last night the audio kept getting out of sync quickly.
4. I mainly wanted it for ESPN/SECN and AMC access which your login works on watchespn and amc.com. I can do the same thing with a slingtv account which is $10 cheaper.

I may try it again when they release other viewing options.
Whitetail
AG
So if I have 3 TV's, how many say elite slim packages do I need?

I can stream on different TV's different content or do I need to bundle packages?
coastalAg
AG
PS Vue is much faster on the FireTV than it is on the Fire Stick. However, based on what you want it for, I agree that Sling is a better option.
coastalAg
AG
quote:
So if I have 3 TV's, how many say elite slim packages do I need?

I can stream on different TV's different content or do I need to bundle packages?
You only need one package and some combination of PS3/4, Amazon FireTV, Chromecast on each TV you want to watch content on. The service allows up to 5 simultaneous streams.
Whitetail
AG
Wow, well that changes things... I might have to do this. At least try it during the summer when there are less sports and new TV shows.

Paying $123/month for dish and $74/month for internet.
LitreBoy
AG
How about regional Fox Sports channels like FSSW? I saw some mention of these as I was doing some research.
WoMD
quote:
How about regional Fox Sports channels like FSSW? I saw some mention of these as I was doing some research.

At least one of the packages comes with the local sports channel based on location, at least as claimed on their website.
MBAR
AG
I have it in college station and it has FSSW. I went with Vue over sling (and obviously over suddenlink) because they had the best availability for sports channels. ESPN, SEC, the fox sports channels, NBC Sports, Bien TV, and the regional FS. Its nearly perfect and much cheaper than cable.
Krys
AG
What do you guys do about movie channels? I think PS Vue is a much better option than what I have now (xfinity) but I would still like to have HBO for game of thrones, and I enjoy watching a movie on demand every week or so.
Whitetail
AG
I'm considering Netflix with the savings.
Skitch05
AG
HBO Now allows you to stream the whole library for $15 a month without a contract. Only downside is you can't watch live and have to wait until the next day for new episodes.

For on-demand movies, we just find something on HBO Now/Amazon Prime/Netflix, or pay to rent from Amazon if needed.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Love PS Vue. It has DVR cloud capabilities and all the channels we need at a reasonable price and no commitment. If you have decent internet do not hesitate.

In my experience it works best when the PS4 is wired direct. We got all sorts of buffering when we tried it on WiFi. But via Ethernet it goes instant HD and stays that way.
Krys
AG
Thanks skitch, I think your setup is exactly what I'm looking to do.
ryanhnc10
AG
Vue does allow you to subscribe to Showtime if you like that channel. It also has Epix which has a decent amount of on demand movies.
ebag02
AG
Actually with HBO Now you can watch shows the minute they premier. You do have to wait a few hours for live shows like Bill Mahar.
Krys
AG
oh so you can watch GoT live?
ebag02
AG
Yes

http://help.hbonow.com/app/answers/detailHBO/a_id/20/~/are-shows-on-hbo-now-available-at-the-same-time-as-broadcast-hbo%3F
Skitch05
AG
Sweet, thanks! That must be new-ish, because that didn't work when I tried it out awhile back.
Sex Panther
AG
Really enjoying this so far...

Does anyone know if a remote would be a good purchase to use instead of the standard controller?
Tabasco
AG
quote:
Love PS Vue. It has DVR cloud capabilities and all the channels we need at a reasonable price and no commitment. If you have decent internet do not hesitate.

In my experience it works best when the PS4 is wired direct. We got all sorts of buffering when we tried it on WiFi. But via Ethernet it goes instant HD and stays that way.
What was your internet speed when wifi buffering occurred?
fav13andac1)c
AG
18 mbps
Tabasco
AG
Wow, 18 and it buffers? That may be a deal breaker for me. Would be fine if you are single and in an apartment, but I guess a home with multiple tvs (where hardwiring would be no good) is no Bueno.

Maybe I will try the trial for a week and see how it works wirelessly.
hph6203
AG
Its a hardware issue, not a service issues. PS4's WiFi, for whatever reason, is awful.
MBAR
AG
quote:

Does anyone know if a remote would be a good purchase to use instead of the standard controller?
The "official" remote is terrible, just FYI.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

The "official" remote is terrible, just FYI.

Hmm... that sucks. I'd like to get one. Anyone have a non-official one that works well?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.