Wifi question

1,121 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Reload8098
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just installed ADT WiFI security cameras and now the speed on all other devices (laptop, tablet etc.) has noticeably dropped. I have a Netgear 2.4/5 and the fastest speed available in our area through Comcast. Is there anything I can do to boost speed?
SlackerAg
AG
Is there a way to reduce how often ADT captures video and/or reduce the capture frame rate? Sounds like their feed is eating up most of your Wi-fi bandwidth.
Reload8098
AG
There probably is but because of where the cameras are placed and the distance they need everything thing they can get to function properly. I looked at some newer Netgear routers last night that have 3 or 4 antenna's on them and claiming huge improvements in speed (the're certainly more expensive). Does that make sense?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Are the cameras on their own wifi run by ADT, or do they go over your home network?
What's the bandwidth usage per camera?
How many cameras were installed?
Are they on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?
What's your internet connection speed?
Reload8098
AG
I'll have to call ADT to get answers. The cameras are on their own router that's connected to my router.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
I'll have to call ADT to get answers. The cameras are on their own router that's connected to my router.
When you have a chance, hardwire your laptop into your router and then disable the wireless adapter on your laptop (to ensure you're using wired connection). Run a speed test. Unplug your laptop from the router and then get back on wireless and run it again. Compare results.

You should have one of two scenarios occur:
1. Bandwidth is the same on both. - Your cameras are eating up all the bandwidth.
2. Bandwidth on wired is great, wireless is terrible - Check the wireless channel you're using. More than likely your ADT router is interfering with your home router wireless.
eric76
AG
I wouldn't think that the cameras would be passing data over the Internet unless they are being monitored at that time.
Reload8098
AG
They only record if there is motion.
dubi
AG
Are the pics being uploaded to ADT or stored inside your house on a hard drive?
Reload8098
AG
If there's motion then it is stored on a cloud. Other than that, no recording.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.