Windows Auto Upagraded to 10

3,263 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bmks270
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Windows 10 upgrade moved to recommended update status late last week. Since I have the 'install all recommended updates' option selected Windows went ahead and upgraded to version 10.
I didn't mind too much at first, because newer is better right? Right?!
Well, my computer has been running super duper slow since the update. Boot ups are 10x longer. Programs aren't working. The Internet is slow as ****.
I think next computer I get is an Apple. My father has one and it runs pretty slick.
Pman17
AG
Apple all the way! Haha, my dad has my old plastic MacBook from 2009 running the latest OSX. It has a Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of ram. I installed a SSD and it runs like a new MacBook Air.

I mostly use my Windows 10 gaming PC and Surface Pro 4, but my MacBook Pro 1st gen Retina still keeps up.

And Apple doesn't force you to upgrade. My friend still had Mountain Lion on his Mac a few weeks ago and I was like Dude, upgrade! The UI is prettier and so he did with no complaints or problems with speed.
Bregxit
AG
My wife's PC auto upgraded as well but it is doing just fine. I like 10.
Cloud
Such shady upgrade tactics...
Kampfers
AG
#1 - Windows 10 runs and boots much faster than 7/8
#2 - your OS should make little to no difference on your internet browsing speeds

This leads me to believe there is a second, confounding factor you have not mentioned or detected

#3 - lol at PMan bragging on his RETINA MacBook like it is some decrepit piece of hardware. At most it is what, 3-4 years old?

In the end apple is no better at supporting their legacy hardware than Windows is. My sister was able to use her MB for about 5 years before they stopped supporting it. Don't take this as an apple-hating post, I have a MB Air for work and love it (in addition to my W10 gaming PC, which I also love). I just think the Apple circlejerk is quite tiresome and not based entirely in reality.
hatchback
AG
You can revert back to Windows 7 within 30 days of upgrading. This happened to one of the computers at work and our design software isn't ready to run on Win10 just yet, so I was able to downgrade.
3rd and 2
AG
I reverted back last night after posting. Working good now.
fta09
AG
I should have posted about this last week. I caught that it was set to auto-upgrade for me but I was able to cancel it. Complete horse sheet that they do that.
Rex Racer
AG
Built a PC in late 2009, so it's almost 7 years old. Was running Windows 7 on it at first, then upgraded to 8, 8.1, and 10. No issues. In fact, it boots up faster today than when it was brand new.

Sounds like PEBKAC, to me.
NCNJ1217
AG
I have a question about this. My computer is rather old (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, etc.), and replacement is off the table right now, but I am worried about my HDD's. If I were to buy and install an SSD, would I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 and install it to the new SSD? Or what hoops would I have to jump through to get the operating system and critical components off the older drives?
PatAg
AG
quote:
I have a question about this. My computer is rather old (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, etc.), and replacement is off the table right now, but I am worried about my HDD's. If I were to buy and install an SSD, would I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 and install it to the new SSD? Or what hoops would I have to jump through to get the operating system and critical components off the older drives?

I believe you would need to do one of two things
Use cloning software, clone the HDD after upgradr and migrate to the SSD
Or you can buy a new version of win 10 and fresh install. With this you would have to reinstall all programs and transfer all data. This way is supposed to be better/cleaner but definitely more of a hassle.
fta09
AG
A fresh install probably isn't a bad idea anyway. Just backup your important files and enjoy the speed of an SSD.
Ganondorf
AG
You should be able to install 7 then upgrade to 10 on the new solid state.
WoMD
Our X-ray processor pc did that last week. And of course, the software (the only program on the damn computer) stopped working. How can you just force an update like that without permission...?

Good thing the rest of our office is apple...
rynning
AG
My wife's PC did it this week, and she hates it. I clicked the Start button and it was hard to look at. Something moved! Wait, something else moved! What was that?! There goes another one! etc., etc., etc.

So it's possible to go back? How?
fta09
AG
I bought Stardock's Start10 for my work laptop. It replaces the new Windows 10 start menu with one that you can make look like the old Windows 7 menu or a couple of other choices. You get a free 30 day trial and after that it was about $5 to purchase.
Frisco
AG
Classicshell. Net
Agmechanic
AG
I constantly have to go through the office and uninstall the Windows 10 upgrade notices. Microsoft will get sued over this.
ham98
if you don't want the win 10 upgrade
birdman
I had Windows 10 forcibly uploaded on work computer. I hate it. Dealt with the nonsense for few days and reverted back to better Windows 7. The underhanded tactics are despicable. And Windows 10 is a downgrade from Windows 7.

The boot up might be faster. But the slower Windows 7 still took less than a minute. Big deal.

Internet was definitely slower with Windows 10. Has nothing to do with my connection. Maybe it's because so much crap is running in background. Or because Microsoft is constantly sending information to headquarters. Don't know or really care.

Nobody mentioned Edge? Did Microsoft pull that off the Windows 95 scrap heap? Edge is pile of wet garbage.

My personal laptop had Window 8 on it. So the change to Windows 10 was welcomed.
tamusc
AG
quote:
I had Windows 10 forcibly uploaded on work computer. I hate it. Dealt with the nonsense for few days and reverted back to better Windows 7. The underhanded tactics are despicable. And Windows 10 is a downgrade from Windows 7.

The boot up might be faster. But the slower Windows 7 still took less than a minute. Big deal.

Internet was definitely slower with Windows 10. Has nothing to do with my connection. Maybe it's because so much crap is running in background. Or because Microsoft is constantly sending information to headquarters. Don't know or really care.

Nobody mentioned Edge? Did Microsoft pull that off the Windows 95 scrap heap? Edge is pile of wet garbage.

My personal laptop had Window 8 on it. So the change to Windows 10 was welcomed.
People still use MS browsers when they have a choice?
Bregxit
AG
quote:

If you accepted all default settings I could see performance issues...like the sharing wifi connection settings and the crap that sends usage info to MS. We turned all that off. Took an extra 30 seconds during setup.

Regarding Edge, yes it is a pile of dung and I think MS has acknowledged that. IE comes with 10 also. Just click on the search bar and type in iexplore.exe then pin it to your task bar and delete the Edge shortcut.

7 was great and so is 10.
birdman
Edge was terrible browser. But I was mostly speaking about Microsoft trying to make it your pdf reader. It's truly awful.

I'm not a Luddite, but I'm sticking with Windows 7.
bmks270
AG
Windows 10 is way better than 7 in my opinion. I like the Microsoft is attempting to be more fully featured with their ecosystem between edge, outlook email, and one drive and office.

That said, execution is not there yet. Edge needs to be more like Firefox or Chrome with ability to add extensions. I think edge is fine as my default pdf viewer, I haven't needed any other viewer yet. The said edge is way too limited as a browser.

Windows 10 has an email desktop app that integrates with www.outlook.com email address/Microsoft account which I use for my personal email, and the interface looked great and runs from desktop instead of opening a browser to get your email.

I haven't used any of the office 365 stuff, but the included 1TB of cloud data is a good deal packaged with the office suite. Google drive 1TB of storage is more than office 365. I use office 2010 and will keep using it until it loses compatibility.

On my laptop I had windows 7, updates and problems kept frustrating me so I installed Linux mint, and used that for about 2 years on my laptop, there were some hurdles setting up some things I needed, but I got the hang of it.

After 2 years of Linux, I needed a 3D modeling suite on my laptop that isn't available on Linux so I went and installed Windows 10 on my laptop. It runs great. The laptop I got around the beginning of 2011, so it is betweem 5 and 6 years old, core i3 11". I ugraded it to 8 GB ram and 256 GB SSD about a year ago.

The most annoying windows 10 feature maybe the updates, if that is an issue the get the Pro version so you can schedule the updates. Problem solved.

Windows 10 seems to be moving more toward the apple and chromebook model of coming with all of the basics and requiring fewer outside apps to be installed. Really I think Word and Excel should be included with windows, or at least windows pro, but they are too valuable.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.