HBO Now rant

2,042 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Vernada
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I signed up for the HBO Now trial through Roku like everyone else for the new season of GoT. Got my wife hooked and we are binging so she can catch up. The trial ended tonight, no big deal, I'll just renew. Nope errors out.
Go to my Roku account and it shows an old CC even though I updated it. No worries, I'll update it. Type all that jazz in, try to renew, error. Roku still shows the last four of the old CC even though it took my new info.

Tried going through HBO itself and I have to use a provider. Sure thing, I'll renew through iTunes. Can't do that, email address is already in use.

Screw this, I'll just use another email address. Put that in and it just gives me another free month.

I tried to get you to take my money HBO, I really did.
kb2001
AG
This comes to mind

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

I can give you my comcast info if you want it. We have Internet Plus right now; it's internet, about 10 channels including HBO, and a nice discount over just internet

Pman17
AG
I just use my parents DirecTV login since they pay for all the movie channels. lol

Yay for old school parents!
BQ2001
AG
quote:
This comes to mind

I can give you my comcast info if you want it. We have Internet Plus right now; it's internet, about 10 channels including HBO, and a nice discount over just internet

That comic is so spot on. I really don't mind paying for HBO, I want to support GoT, VEEP and Silicon Valley. It just shouldn't be that hard. Either way, I have another free month so it worked out ok.

We are halfway through season 4, and it's really hard not to give anything away especially after this last weeks episode.
titanmaster_race
Side rant:

I can't use HBO GO on my PS4 because COMCAST is a dooosh
MichaelJ
AG
quote:
quote:
This comes to mind

That comic is so spot on. I really don't mind paying for HBO, I want to support GoT, VEEP and Silicon Valley. It just shouldn't be that hard. Either way, I have another free month so it worked out ok.

We are halfway through season 4, and it's really hard not to give anything away especially after this last weeks episode.

I don't have a solution. But it really sounds like your roku is the problem. Not hbo
stridulent
AG
https://order.hbonow.com/
hph6203
AG
The issue is that they signed up for a free month through their Roku box and then ended up with a invalid credit card. On a lot of subscriptions on the Roku are filtered through Roku's system and use the attached credit card that Roku has on file. They then tried to use their iTunes ID to sign up, but it's likely the same e-mail address as the one that's registered with Roku so HBO views it as a duplicate account.

The problem is that iTunes, Amazon and Roku all want to get credit for registering an individual because I imagine they get some sort of incentive from HBO, but it confuses the entity that you're actually paying your fee to by adding a layer of separation between you and the content provider.

Roku is trying to be a cable provider/playing the middle man without clearly supplying infrastructure to actually deliver the content. Not saying it's malicious, but it is a screwy process and the failure is on Roku's part for not making that clear.
njw92
AG
Roku's billing is a mess. I signed up for a month of a college sports channel through Roku to watch the Ags baseball play Houston. Roku charged me but the authorization didn't go through to the 3rd party who ran the channel. After missing an hour of the game talking to Roku, they told me my only option was to call the 3rd party provider and complain. WTH, you're selling and billing and won't fix the issue?
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Same thing happened to me OP. Contacted Roku support, and your cc will update in 24 hours.

Still couldn't get it to work, unplugged the Roku for 5 minutes, then everything worked flawlessly.
Predmid
AG
My condolences.

HBO:Now through amazon fire is a breeze.
BQ2001
AG
Oh, I'm fine, I'm getting 2 free months out of the deal. I just don't get why I can't create an account on HBO and just pay them directly for a username and password. I was able to create one with a secondary email through iTunes and the un/pw worked fine on the Roku. Seems overly complicated for Roku/Apple/Amazon to take my money (or try anyway) and then give a cut to HBO, but I'm sure they have some agreements in place with the 3rd parties to prevent that.
Vernada
AG
dealing with BS right now.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.