Operas Surf Easy VPN

1,095 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MGS
Cepe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody tried this yet?

I am trying it now and it seems good. No lag on anything. I like the idea of extra security on my phone too.

Not sure what all it protects from.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

UmustBKidding
Contrary to popular belief VPN's do not provide security. They provide transport encryption/protection so that your data is hidden between the endpoints. Typically one of the endpoints is behind some secure perimeter so you are assured that its completely intact when it arrives inside. But when the endpoint is on the wild internet all they do is redirect you entry point. Browser exploits, drive by downloads and other exploits work just as well through VPN and TOR. And most VPN's only provide minimal anonymity, at least TOR by design randomly selects exit points on each connection.
As far as surfeasy, and for that matter any vpn service you better really trust the owners of the exit nodes and the code that encapuslates the transport. In surfeasy case shortly that will be a Chinese consortium. Not my first choice for handling data I want to keep private.
So public VPN away if your intent is to look like you are elsewhere and avoiding some region block on a streaming service. Or TOR away and hope you exit nodes are not owned by rogue actor. But typically without immaculate hygiene you are going to still leak your address.
But for security, neither is a solution

Cepe
AG
Thanks! Good info to know.
MGS
I might be a little hesitant to use it since Opera is now owned by a Chinese company.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.