iPad issue

1,789 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by srob2004
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought an iPad from someone on TexAgs that was new in box. Once I opened it and tried to set it up, it required credentials for an IBM employee to finish setup. I contacted the seller and he told me that he won it from IBM at a tech conference and that there were no strings attached as far as he knew. Seems like some marketing person grabbed an iPad from IT without realizing it had some sort of custom IBM-locked firmware on it, right?

So all that aside, how do I get the thing working? I am updating iOS so I can try to boot to DFU mode, but I'm not sure if this will help. I also have an appointment at a Genius bar for tomorrow. Any ideas in the mean time?
m-walker
AG
Put in recovery mode and restore the OS with iTunes?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Tried that. After doing some more digging, it appears that the iPad needs to be de-registered from IBMs Mobile Device Management system...which can probably only be done by an admin. Hoping the Apple store will take care of me but since I don't have a receipt I kinda doubt they will.
TXAGFAN
AG
Kinda a **** move for Aggie seller not to take it back...
GarlandAg2012
AG
He offered to take it back, but it wouldn't be any good to him either, so I'd like to just solve the problem. I'm in Dallas and he's in Houston so if I can't get it resolved by the next time I'm down there I will return it to him for a refund.

Don't always assume the worst in your fellow Ag.

I have hit up the conference and IBM Research on Twitter, and have emailed a couple people who work at their Austin facility in enterprise and cloud computing to see if anyone can help. Once I get in contact with the right person it is a simple fix I think. Just hoping someone out there notices and cares enough to take the time to help.
Charpie
AG
He made money off an iPad that wasn't his to sell. Send it back and get your money back.
tamusc
AG
To confirm, the seller doesn't work for IBM, correct?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Correct, he does not.

It was his to sell, he won it as a door prize. Whoever did the giveaway at the conference messed up and forgot to tell their IT dept that they were giving away one of their iPads.

I am now in touch with someone from IBM and hopefully it will be resolved early next week.
tamusc
AG
Good to hear and it doesn't surprise me at all that some marketing person just pulled from their normal supply without checking that it was good to give away.
MGS
IBM still has employees in the U.S.?
An Ag in CO
AG
quote:
IBM still has employees in the U.S.?

I think the total number of IBM employees in the US is currently between 70,000 - 75,000.
BQ2001
AG
Tried removing the device management? Depending on how it was setup, removing it could help restore it.

Settings-general-device management
Azariah
AG
Why doesn't he reach out to the people who gave it to them, and ask them to get it removed?
GarlandAg2012
AG
I can't get to the settings menu, can't get through initial setup without and IBM username and password.
GarlandAg2012
AG
He doesn't have their contact info. I reached out to the conference and they forwarded my message on to an IBM person involved with the conference and she is looking into it.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just to close the circle here, I ended up getting in contact with a Director at IBM. She sent me an overnight shipping label, had the iPad restored with the settings removed, and overnighted it back to me. Pretty stellar service in my opinion!
tamusc
AG
Glad to hear it!
srob2004
AG
Garland, I'm glad you were able to get things fixed up. I was getting ready to email you today after I just got back from out of town over the holidays.

To the "uninformed" above...and trust me I wanted to type something much worst, but I prefer to get the facts before I question the honor and validity of a fellow Ag. But hey, if taking pot shots at people you don't know or don't know the situation of works for you, I guess whatever floats your boat...

Anyways, to follow up what Garland said...

1) I sold this to him with no strings attached by the person I won it from. It was a raffle at a convention. It was NEW IN BOX. I checked it thoroughly for it being already opened or used , etc. Nothing and I verified with the raffle that it was NIB and I sold it as such.

2) Garland emailed me back and told me the above issue. I immediately emailed him back and apologized big time and said the above from #1. I also offered to meet him to either.... Buy it back in full, Help him troubleshoot the issue completely, or work with him and do whatever I could to make it up to him. I would never short change another Ag nor would I do something that would harm them financially or otherwise.

3) He said that was going to do the above (contact Apple support and contact IBM). And I told him if he could not get it to what he expected (a fully new/fresh iPAD) that I would meet him and give the money back ASAP.

No one in my family uses apple products so while I've been doing PC/server/network/automation support for years, I am really green in the i-world so I didn't have a solution right off hand other than what he was going to try.

Hopefully that clears the air. This is not directed at Garland and he has been really awesome through this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.