DirectTV picture quality?

1,542 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Collective
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to switch cable services soon. Used to have FiOS, which had GREAT picture quality, but with their sale to Frontier, not going back there. I've been VERY unhappy with Dish's picture quality, especially during dark scenes. Way too much ghosting.

How is DirectTV in that regard?
AgsWin2011
AG
Seems pretty good to me. AT&T Uverse also has good picture. Not sure if Uverse is still around since AT&T bought DirecTV. Had DTV for 5 years. Wish it was a little cheaper but you get what you pay for. I'm happy with it. If you decide to switch to it let me know. I'll give you my account number referral and we will both save $100.
stridulent
AG
Great quality TV service imo
CoolaidWade
AG
I've had Dish for over ten years and just switched to DirectTV. The difference in picture quality is night and day. I was on the bubble because all my research said the PQ was "only slightly" better but in my house it's a giant leap in quality.

Life mentioned before, the blacks on Dish was ghostly and looked cheap where on DirectTV it's a solid black. The picture just looks like it's in HD where it never did on Dish. Plus there were some channels on Dish where the picture quality was ALWAYS horrible.... FX, The CW were the main ones but on DirectTV they are just as good as the other channels.

Got a two year lock since I have ATT wireless as well so it's just 60 dollars for the Ultra package for two years.

Side note...... I like Dish for everything else other the Picture Quality. The DirectTV interface is really sluggish. I don't like the DVR at all. It's half the size plus you can't organize it for crap. It's just a jumbled list where with DISH we had nice, neat folders. Plus on certain shows you can't fast forward after you record them. Plus a whole bunch of other stuff where DISH just had much better technology.

But at the end of the day the quality of the picture is the main thing so I made the switch.
Gigem314
AG
I've had both and I must say that DTV has the better picture quality.

That being said, it's not enough for me to switch back (currently with DISH). I really like the Hopper, and my bill (after all the 2 year promo stuff) stays below $90/mo.

One thing that helped me with DISH's 'grainy blacks' was switching from 1080i to 720p. Cleaned up the blacks a lot, with very little difference in clarity if any at all. Most channels aren't even broadcasting in 1080p these days anyway.

DTV's picture quality wasn't perfect either though, and I was going to end up paying over $100/mo at minimum after all their 'promo' price adjustments. So it's a trade-off.
nwspmp
I think the equipment may also have something to do with the picture quality. I switched from DTV to Dish and to me the picture quality is significantly better (and honestly more reliable), but that was also going from the first gen Genie to the newer Hopper (not the 4k, yet...)
Absolute
AG
Anyone try the dish wireless Joey receivers? Exploring options to fios and wireless receivers would be kind of nice, but not a requirement.
TPS Reports
AG
I have an install appointment with Dish a week from today so bummer reading posts about poor picture quality. I have been pretty happy with Uverse but it is not available at the new house and I chose Dish for the Hopper 3 and some other cool features, on top of 2-year price lock. PQ issues are magnified on a large projection screen so hoping I don't regret it!
nwspmp
I run one of the wireless Joeys to our bedroom and it works just fine. I've not noticed any picture quality issues or problems. It's just worked.

And as far as picture quality, I've not really noticed any problems, at least no more than I ever had with DirecTV. They're both worlds better than Suddenlink though.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Anyone try the dish wireless Joey receivers? Exploring options to fios and wireless receivers would be kind of nice, but not a requirement.

I have a wireless Joey. I love it. I switch it between two tvs, as there is one that I don't use often, but it gives nice flexibility.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.