Excel question

1,627 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by powerbelly
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This should be easy, I'm just drawing a blank. How do I put information in cell A1, look down column B until the number matches, and display the information in column C that corresponds to the match in column B?
trueaggie2782
AG
Sorry, information would be displayed in A2
Brenner
AG
=VLOOKUP(A1,B:C,2,0)
ATL Aggie
AG
Just as an FYI, HLOOKUP() works the same way for when the data is displayed horizontally.
trueaggie2782
AG
Thanks for your help. I actually had to use index and match because I had to specify a column in the array and use the numbervalue function on it. Couldn't seem to make that work with vlookup.
Shawdaddy
AG
If you use INDEX MATCH the columns don't have to be right next to each other, and the arrays don't have to be the same size.
Vernada
AG
VLOOKUP has to be one of the laziest functions in Excel.
aezmvp
VLOOKUP is the quintessential analyst tool. I'm an analyst now but if I have to hire anyone I'll really just sit them down and make them use that. If they can't... no hire.
trueaggie2782
AG
Yep. I just wanted to explain the scenario in the easiest way possible. Truth be told, the matched array was actually on a different sheet. When copied into excel, it came in as data requiring the use of the numbervalue function.
blumpkin
AG
quote:
VLOOKUP is the quintessential analyst tool. I'm an analyst now but if I have to hire anyone I'll really just sit them down and make them use that. If they can't... no hire.
It takes 5 minutes to learn vlookup. Stupid reason for a no hire.
aggiesherpa
AG
Index match ftw
AgLiving06
Somebody who knows the benefits of index/match is much more valuable to me as an Analyst than Vlookup.

Sumifs is another good way to know if they've gone beyond the basics.
Vernada
AG
quote:
Index match ftw

That's what I was getting at with my earlier post. VLOOKUP isn't nearly as flexible as it should be. Index match is solid though.
trueaggie2782
AG
New question. I'm starting to doubt this can be done but here goes.

I have multiple tables in one sheet. I want to be able to sort each table separately. Is this possible?
powerbelly
AG
quote:
Index match ftw
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.