I'm being bombarded by telemarketers on my cell phone!

3,781 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What the heck is going on lately? Some of are spoofed as local cell phones, some are from random numbers around the USA and Canada... 90% of the time if you call it back the number won't go through.

I don't want a free three night vacation.
I don't want to consolidate my (non-existent) credit card debt.
I don't want whatever the heck they are selling.

Is there anything I can do? There must be a do not call list for cell phones, but I'm guessing these scumbags just ignore it?
boy09
AG
Life Pro Tip: Throw cell phone in trash to avoid telemarketing calls.

But seriously, https://www.donotcall.gov/. I still get some calls, but it's not near as bad as it was before registering. And it takes a couple of weeks for the calls to start dropping off.
G Martin 87
AG
You can block the number on your phone, too. (Although that only works for that specific number.) If I'm not in the middle of anything important when I get one of these calls, I'll answer it and immediately tell them to put my number on their Do Not Call list. Federal law requires them to do so if you ask. Sure, the scummier telemarketing companies may ignore the request, but I haven't had any problems.
WoMD
I've been getting random calls daily as well, but only within the last month or two. Each time comes from a different area code/state. I just don't answer them, and they never leave a message. Annoying, but at least they aren't calling from a local number (which I would answer).
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Thank you for registering your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry. You successfully registered your phone number ending in 4*** on December 08, 2004. Most telemarketers will be required to stop calling you 31 days from your registration date.

Visit https://www.donotcall.gov to register another number or file a complaint against someone violating the Registry.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Please do not reply to this message as it is from an unattended mailbox. Any replies to this email will not be responded to or forwarded. This service is used for outgoing emails only and cannot respond to inquiries.

A lot of good that did twelve years ago.
Mathguy64
AG
I get them regularly on my cell. Many of the numbers are cell numbers from my local area code. I'm assuming they are being spoofed. It's frustrating because I tend to answer local cell numbers. Whenever I do they are two types: Marriott hotels or someone selling an obamacare policy.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
I'm assuming they are being spoofed. It's frustrating because I tend to answer local cell numbers.
This. Those cock lickers are getting smarter. I've had a Bryan number since college and I have seen a LOT of recent calls with the same prefix lately.
Moogoo the Mangler
When the day of The Cleansing comes, telemarketers will be among the first to perish at the hands of Gazuga.
Ag03 CQE
AG
I use an app called Calls Blacklist. I set it to automatically reject any number not in my contacts. The phone never even rings, but it does show that I missed a call. If it's someone I know or it's important, they'll leave a message and I'll call them back.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I've been getting these too. I just block the number. Or answer it and give them the most long drawn out dead end conversation they've ever had.
EMY92
AG
The problem with answering is that they now know that it's a good, live number. They can then turn around and sell your number to other scumbags.
heddleston
AG
quote:
When the day of The Cleansing comes, telemarketers will be among the first to perish at the hands of Gazuga.

this is an awesome sock. also, im not sure how i feel about telemarketers going first. is that merciful? if so, i think they should go 3rd or 4th. let them dangle a bit.
WoMD
quote:
The problem with answering is that they now know that it's a good, live number. They can then turn around and sell your number to other scumbags.

I think that was the initiating factor. Somewhere along the line someone sold my number. I wish there was a way to find that person and go Gregor Clegane vs Oberyn on their faces.
SlackerAg
AG
I'm suddenly getting them too. On your iPhone, you can select "Do Not Disturb" mode which will only allow callers in your Contact List. All other calls are blocked, but can get thru if they call back within 3 minutes.

The downside is, the mode silences all your other alerts (but fortunately not the alarms)
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:
Thank you for registering your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry. You successfully registered your phone number ending in 4*** on December 08, 2004. Most telemarketers will be required to stop calling you 31 days from your registration date.

Visit https://www.donotcall.gov to register another number or file a complaint against someone violating the Registry.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Please do not reply to this message as it is from an unattended mailbox. Any replies to this email will not be responded to or forwarded. This service is used for outgoing emails only and cannot respond to inquiries.

Turn the tables on them. The donotcall.gov website has a handy button for filling an FTC complaint if you are getting calls to a number that has been registered.
KT 90
AG
quote:
I'm suddenly getting them too. On your iPhone, you can select "Do Not Disturb" mode which will only allow callers in your Contact List. All other calls are blocked, but can get thru if they call back within 3 minutes.

The downside is, the mode silences all your other alerts (but fortunately not the alarms)

If it is the same # calling you, you can block the caller on an iPhone without having to disable the other features of your phone that you would rather have active.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Turn the tables on them. The donotcall.gov website has a handy button for filling an FTC complaint if you are getting calls to a number that has been registered.
The problem is the numbers are spoofed so you don't have a legit number to file a complaint about.
AggieBob08
AG
FTC Complaint won't do anything. They only go after people based on trends in the data of who is being reported.
GetThoseKeysMilo
If they are spoofing numbers the do-not-call list and the FTC are pretty much not going to be able to do anything. The people who spoof numbers are typically not telemarketers, they are scam artists who like to prey on older people (and stupid people). I've had a message left one time by a Middle Eastern guy saying I didn't pay a debt of $5,000 and that if I did not pay immediately his lawyers would come arrest me. I feel bad for anyone, typically the older people, who just blindly trust anyone who calls them on the phone.

There isn't going to be a way to stop these scams until the networks start installing means to prevent number spoofing.
Mathguy64
AG
I got another today. Starwood suites. Local cell number. They left a message this time. Guess I will call them back tomorrow.
cr0wbar
AG
Sigh- I get 1-2 every two weeks for home security systems. California, New York, Florida, etc.....
jopatura
AG
I always answer, tell them to take me off their list, and block their number. I was getting 3 or 4 a day and now I'm getting 3 or 4 a week. I started doing the same to my home phone and it went down drastically as well.

The true scams will never stop calling. If it's a scam my local police department wants to hear about then I'll report it.
KidDoc
AG
I get regular calls for pay day loans for Tyrone on my number I've had for over a year. I block them every time but it is really annoying when I'm on call and need to pay attention to my phone in case it is the ER.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Any idea of NoMoRobo works?

I set my default ringer to a silent ringer I downloaded and set everyone I normally want to hear from to a different ringtone.

I still hear message notices, and I have my work number forwarded to my cell so I don't ever give my cell out to strangers.

I also don't think I've ever gotten a spam
call forwarded through work - we use Ring Central
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.