Law Firm security issues

2,649 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AGSPORTSFAN07
Bradley.Kohr.II
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, today's CLE is covering that law firms which do acquistions and family law are becoming common targets for a modified version of Stuxnet - available for $600, and a $25 "app" to turn a smartphone into a bug...

$25 to hack any Gmail, Yahoo or FB account...

If it wasn't coming from the TX Bar association, it would sound nuts...

Huzzah...
Pro Sandy
AG
Stuxnet targeted scada

But yes, vulnerabilities exist for sale and many for cheap. Cheap ones not likely to be as successful, especially is you practice good security hygiene. Don't click unknow links, run antivirus, don't plug in random thumb drives, etc..

Emails, use two factor authentication. Also password manager software will allow you to use passwords that are not easily brute forced.
jagouar1
AG
These things will target the companies and places that are willing to pay and who generally do not have well funded IT departments. It is not surprising at all the companies that have fallen victim so far.

There probably is an opportunity to serve just that market and design solutions specifically for these fields but they have to be willing to pay and that has always been the problem with many industries.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Lawyers are conditioned to pay for services. Something which could specifically be aimed at ensuring compliance may be of value.

Lawyers pretty much deal in nothing but confidential data - the CLE mentioned law offices are increasingly being targeted as the soft way to obtain trade secrets/personal identity info/etc.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A non-datamining DNS might also be a good idea, though I suppose TOR would be useful for that as well.

Im not sure there's a bottom to this rabbit hole, unless I'm just too ignorant of this stuff to understand it.
kb2001
AG
Most industries believe their data to be highly sought after, none of it is particularly true. I work in health care, and people are paranoid about data security. Not because of hacker threats, but because there are criminal penalties for failing to secure data in accordance with the mandated standards. The pertinent standard for HIPAA compliance that I have to deal with most is ISO 27001. which goes so far as to require internal communications to be encrypted as well. PCI standards don't even go that far. The reality is that randoms care about money, and your data is only valuable to them if they can get paid for it. They aren't likely to steal your data and sell it, they are likely to encrypt your data and make you pay to decrypt it. In this case, the government will recommend that you pay them to get your data back, learn your lesson, and move on. The only time you really need to be concerned about somebody wanting your data is if your data includes credit card numbers in bulk (thousands of them), or if you've made an enemy who is personally after you.

For the OP, it seems like you've recently become aware of the real threats that exist in the interconnected computing world, and it's freaking you out. A person with little compouting background reading articles about this stuff is like a hypochondriac reading WebMD. If you are really concerned about cybersecurity, find the applicable security standards that are required for your industry, and either implement them yourself, or pay an outside company to do it. If you use 3rd party for things like email, just make sure they are certified to those standards. Resorting to TOR to browse the web, or getting rid of your smart phone is paranoia more than security. If it's government you're worried about then turn off your computer, if they want to get in you cannot reasonably stop them. TOR is traceable if they really want to, they've demonstrated this before. Frankly, lawyers have the least to worry about from government, because government actually respects confidentiality for lawyers, not true for many other professions, like doctors. They won't come after you unless you give them a reason

Remember, you don't have to figure this all out yourself, somebody who knows what they're doing already has, and has auditable security standards defined for your industry. If you're really concerned about it, hire a firm like KPMG to audit you, remembering that it's a full time job to work with auditors
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Oh, not worried about the government, provided they are held to the standard requiring warrants - as long as a lawyer takes steps to force it to that stage, I believe he's met his duty to his clients, and if they've obtained a warrant against an attorney, pretty much, he either has a monster as a client or has joined a cartel.

This is more about blocking discovery in law suits and maintaining privilege.

It is imperative that a third party not have access to client info - say like leaving notes on another case out on your desk where a lawyer who stops in for a chat sees it

With the advent of the cheaper "hacks", it's becoming more of an issue, as clients may use these things, then dump the info on their lawyer, at which point they've handed him evidence of a crime - I will see if I can find some cites. I remember one was O'Brian v O'Brian, but that won't help
tamusc
AG
This is the third thread you've started dealing with this, so I assume as kb suggested above, that you've never really been exposed to some of the threats that are out that prior to the CLE you are attending.

As has been said in both this thread and others, ditching a smart phone for a flip phone doesn't really provide nearly as much security as you think it does, especially weighed against the benefits of a smartphone. Just practice smart data security, as most successful hacks depend on social engineering, usually as the initial entry vector. This includes the things kb mentioned above like not plugging in strange USB drives (how Stuxnet infected the Iranian systems originally), don't click on links in emails, use strong passwords/password managers, etc. None of that is anything new.

If you are totally paranoid, use an iPhone or one of the Android devices built for security, use encrypted email for protected communication (I believe you've already switched to Protonmail), use an end to end encrypted messaging platform for voice and text (WhatsApp, Telegram, etc), use a good antivirus program like ESET NOD32, use either a real network security appliance or a router running DD-WRT (that offers far more security options than stock router firmware) depending on your budget, don't bring your phone into a meeting that you are really paranoid about a recording being made of and practice smart data security as mentioned above.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Yeah, might have flipped out a bit. Professionally, I'm supposed to be the paranoid a**hole looking for how/when/at what risk when a deal tanks, and I missed this stuff completely.
tamusc
AG
Understandable. I want my attorney to be paranoid about such things, but not so much that he cannot function.

I work in healthcare and deal with the issues kb mentioned above as well, so I understand. Not only are we dealing with similar security concerns, but we also have the spectre of huge fines hanging over our heads as well. You should see some of the emails we get from corporate IT regarding security, especially after several hospitals were publicly hacked, had their networks encrypted and held hostage.

Ultimately, it's about managing risk by taking some of the steps already outlined and applying a little common sense.
eric76
AG
Would it be too much to use an internal network that isn't connected to the outside at all and a separate network for those computers that need internet access?

You could connect the two with a firewall that blocks anything coming in or out of the internal network that did not originate strictly from the other network or has the other network as its destination and then limit the ports with the firewall to only those necessary.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
That's pretty common and already laid out in the new offices under construction - it's actually very handy, and is a great way to limit access to Printer's which can print checks etc as well
eric76
AG
There's an article linked from Drudge today about this very topic.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/05/11/anti-virus-pioneer-john-mcafee-warns-mobile-phone-snooping/84266838/
Stat Monitor Repairman
This $*** is no joke. I've noticed several incidents over the past couple weeks where I've mentioned something in conversation and seen some online ads come across related to what I was talking about.

Today, I just called and left a message for my vet about a refill of a specific type medication for my dog. About 10 min later I get a call from an unknown number. I reverse searched it and it turns out to be a shady online retailer of this type of medication. Not sure if there is another explanation but this is concerning. No email traffic related to subject matter. Only voice call. WTF?
TMoney2007
AG
John McAfee is pretty much a crackpot at this point.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Do you use google voice?

Welcome to the new era - landlines - from phone companies, and postal mail.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Yep. Have my phone linked to Google Voice but wasnt using it at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if thos mfers arent monitoring all voice traffic on the phone. AT&T was the carrier on the call.

Surprised I havent gotten a pop up while typing this saying "We understand you arent happy with your google account and apps..."

Man. I like the convienence of Most google apps, but this is going to have to get shut down. Gonna have to revamp my entire system it looks like.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
The problem with the Health Care industry is that as smart as Doctor's are, they're morons when it comes to taking care of their patient's personal identity information. They send your private data including SSNs up into CSPs like Dropbox and pass it all around the world wide web like it's no big deal. As a consumer of Health Care, I take interest in how they treat my personal information. If they're negligent, then yes they need to have their systems protected from themselves.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.