CableLynx instituting data caps

5,562 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SociallyConditionedAg
GetThoseKeysMilo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I guess marathoning is now going to be a little trickier in my household. That, and I just dumped Dish and now have PlayStation Vue. I have no idea how much data I typically use but it has to be quite a bit considering how much video I stream per month.

They have not released a pricing structure in my area, but if they raise my base rate I'm just going to cancel. The unlimited data was the best part of that service.

On average, you people with data caps, how much data do you typically use in a month?
DanHo2010
AG
We're on Suddenlink in CS and we just had to move from 450 GB to unlimited because we were blowing through it. Three people who watch a lot of Netflix, plus online gaming, plus Sling TV, and 450 turned out to not really be that much.
aggieforester05
AG
Yeah, I got this notice too, it's total BS and the complete opposite direction the industry should be moving. I sent them a heated email and put it out there on social media so others in my area would complain, but I doubt it will help. They just want to raise the rates on cord cutters or try to get them to buy their crappy cable package. I wish there was another option in my area, but there is not. I guess you can provide as crappy of service as you want if you have a monopoly.
Average Joe
AG
Cable and television companies seem to think you have to force charges on people instead of making a product with worth paying extra for.
aggieforester05
AG
$15/50gb over 500 is ludicrous. These data caps are going to really start to suck when 4K streaming becomes the norm.

I pay $72/ month for my service. A conservative estimate of 10K households within their local service area puts their monthly revenue from internet alone at least $650K after local taxes are deducted for the Longview/Kilgore area. You can't tell me that there isn't enough room in their operating expenses to invest in the infrastructure necessary to support increasing demand. This is purely a money grab!
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Yep, and ours is always slowing down or stopping at night. It's just a money grab.
Pro Sandy
AG
I use 300GB+ per month. That is with cable, so if I 'cut the cord', ID be through the roof.
eric76
AG
I think only about 3 or 4 of our Internet customers have ever exceeded 450 GB per month. Max is around 550 GB per month.

We did have one customer used 80 GB in half a day once. I throttled them back and then started logging their traffic to figure out what they were doing. It turned out that one of their computers was trying to scan the entire world for computers with port 3389 open.

I blocked all outbound traffic from their site to port 3389. Also, from the logs it was clear that they had three "phone-home" addresses to connect to between blocks of addresses to scan so I blocked all traffic to those as well. And then I called the customer's IT guy and told him what I had done.
tamusc
AG
As 4K streaming becomes more common, you'll see that number start to go up pretty quickly. On Netflix, 4K streaming burns through about 11 GB an hour, which means you can hit a 450 GB in roughly 40 hours of 4K viewing. That really isn't that much, especially if you're talking about more than one user.

Then add in game downloads and updates that can easily be another 50-100 GB a month, plus just regular old browsing and 450 GB is not enough anymore or at won't be within the near future (1-2 years).
stridulent
AG
I wonder how many of these internet companies that are adopting this data cap also have a TV division. I know Uverse and Suddenlink do. Seems like a great, although unethical, strategy to combat people "cutting the cable" and going with online streaming services.
aggieforester05
AG
Their efforts will never sway me into buying another crappy cable or satellite package. They will sway me to switch providers to avoid their crappy data caps though.
eric76
AG
quote:
As 4K streaming becomes more common, you'll see that number start to go up pretty quickly. On Netflix, 4K streaming burns through about 11 GB an hour, which means you can hit a 450 GB in roughly 40 hours of 4K viewing. That really isn't that much, especially if you're talking about more than one user.

Then add in game downloads and updates that can easily be another 50-100 GB a month, plus just regular old browsing and 450 GB is not enough anymore or at won't be within the near future (1-2 years).
What I find interesting is that we have more and more customers who only have smart phones. They just find our network much less expensive than exceeding the limited data caps on their smart phones.
stridulent
AG
quote:

I just received email notice last week that Uverse plans to cap base data package at 50 GB per month starting in May. That is a bit ridiculous.
stridulent
AG
Just changed to Charter. Only other service available in our area. They don't have a data cap.
tamusc
AG
Wow, that is absolutely ridiculous.
aggieforester05
AG
Great, they were my only alternative. I hope somebody else will come in to fill the gap so I can tell cablelynx to eff off.
GetThoseKeysMilo
The email I just got says the data cap is 500gb a month. Since I live by myself at the moment it should be okay but will be irritatingly close some months. If they raise my base rate from what I'm paying now on top of setting a cap there will be fire and brimstone. And it so happens my internet is currently down and has been all day.
BrazosWifi
Data caps are no fun.

I had a customer move 1.2TB last month on a 6mbps plan. All netflix.

Our solution is to upgrade equipment to stay in front of demand. I don't know why wireline services don't do this, except for greed.
aggieforester05
AG
So these greedy aholes started enforcing the data cap yesterday. I checked my data usage and it was 27 gb for what was a pretty normal day at my house. That puts me well over 800 gb for a 31 day month. I contacted Cablynx about upgrading to a 1 TB plan and it is $99/month for the first year and $139/month after that. Holy hell, $140 a month for internet and you're going to limit me to 1TB? Please internet guys out there, come to Longview and put these guys out of business.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
We need to get rid of this monopoly on Longview. I'm going to bust through this cap quick!
MSCAg
AG
AT&T started enforcing their data caps (they've always had them, but never really talked about).

Two months ago, they sent a letter saying starting in the next month, they were going to enforce a 250 or 500 gig cap. The only kicker was their web tool for tracking your data wouldn't be ready till the day the caps started.

Held me nose and switch to TWC - faster, cheaper, and no caps.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Well, I just got off the phone with Longview Cable and I upgraded to the enhanced package. There's a current promo for $10 a month more with a 750 GB cap and a 50 mbps speed. It seems convenient that the cap was implemented and they're now offering this promo.
aggieforester05
AG
There was a petition and a few people complaining on facebook, but not much. I'm really hoping we see some public backlash when people's bills start rolling in. It could be very expensive if they didn't know about the cap. I've hated Longview Cable since the early 90's when LBT managed to get them to avoid putting MTV (when MTV was good) on their package. I reached out to Network Communications to see if they might do residential anytime soon and they said no. I really hope we get a good competitor here to put Longview/Kilgore cable out of business or at least drop their data limits. I shouldn't have to be worried about usage every time I want to use the internet. Anyone with an understanding of the internet beyond an elementary level knows that aggregate bandwidth usage is irrelevant.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Does the city have an exclusive contract with them? I wish we could get a competitor.
SF2004
AG
With sling TV announcing the ATV app I revisited dropping cable and going with them (getting your content elsewhere is not CUTTING THE CORD).

Investigating AT&T's internet only was promising but they slam you with the data cap. Not to mention that Sling TV is still garbage, in order to get all then channels you need (lets face it the only reason you need cable is sports) you have to spend at least $50/Mo. Not to mention that for ESPN (and disney in my case) it is still in the single stream option. A single stream from a service (that took a dump during the rose bowl no less) for $50 isn't worth the hassle.

I then started doing more looking and you can significantly cut your bill and integrate your content to one device (ATV in my case) with an HDHomerun Prime.

In the end I was chasing probably a $20-$30/Mo savings (which I first had to recoup purchasing equipment) and giving up a ton of flexibility (I am not the only person in my house).

Lastly, did every one really think they would just bend over and take it? Unless the FCC outright bans data caps AND makes them provide the advertised speed 95% of the time this will continue.

You have to pay for content, especially sports.
Pro Ag
AG
Frontier has screwed way more customers and had local news folks after them and it hasn't changed a thing with their ****ty service.

As folks have said on this thread and others, this will keep happening until the government treats it like other utility services.
coastalAg
AG
My options are Uverse and Xfinity. They both offer a 1TB data cap at the speed I wanted.

The thing that pushed me towards Xfinity is AT&Ts data capture policy on Gigapower. In order to get better pricing you have to agree to let AT&T to read all of your traffic so they can target advertising based on your browsing.

I do not like the idea of the monthly data cap, but the good news is I am still staying well under my 1tb limit since switching to streaming services only.
aggieforester05
AG
quote:
With sling TV announcing the ATV app I revisited dropping cable and going with them (getting your content elsewhere is not CUTTING THE CORD).

Investigating AT&T's internet only was promising but they slam you with the data cap. Not to mention that Sling TV is still garbage, in order to get all then channels you need (lets face it the only reason you need cable is sports) you have to spend at least $50/Mo. Not to mention that for ESPN (and disney in my case) it is still in the single stream option. A single stream from a service (that took a dump during the rose bowl no less) for $50 isn't worth the hassle.

I then started doing more looking and you can significantly cut your bill and integrate your content to one device (ATV in my case) with an HDHomerun Prime.

In the end I was chasing probably a $20-$30/Mo savings (which I first had to recoup purchasing equipment) and giving up a ton of flexibility (I am not the only person in my house).

Lastly, did every one really think they would just bend over and take it? Unless the FCC outright bans data caps AND makes them provide the advertised speed 95% of the time this will continue.

You have to pay for content, especially sports.
Paying for content? Yes, I do pay for content and a lot of it. I also pay $70/ month to have that delivered to me. I'm on track right now to have that increase to at least $150/month for delivery. That's how much I was paying dish network for content and delivery. Cablelynx is a bunch of greedy *******s that are not paying for any content I consume! I use 10-30 gigs a day and their meter shows the last two days I used almost 200 gig. They were normal days, but how do I prove their meter is ****ed up and I didn't actually use that? I can't wait for someone to put them out of business, but right now my only other option is uverse, which is only available at my residence now at 375 kbps and an even lower data cap.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
aggieforester05
AG
Now my meter shows I used 260 gb yesterday. Is there a way to file a complaint with the fcc for this if they don't deduct it off my bill? We streamed yesterday, but never more than one tv at a time and we don't have 4K. I also checked the network traffic on my computer and there was nothing unusual.
SF2004
AG
quote:
Now my meter shows I used 260 gb yesterday. Is there a way to file a complaint with the fcc for this if they don't deduct it off my bill? We streamed yesterday, but never more than one tv at a time and we don't have 4K. I also checked the network traffic on my computer and there was nothing unusual.

Yeah, that's wrong. A non-compressed blu ray is still only 35gb or so.

I see what your saying now, there is zero chance you are using that much data.
aggieforester05
AG
FYI, Zoom Broadband does offer wifi services in parts of Longview. It's who we use at work and it's not too bad. It's not as stable or fast as Longview Cable, but there are no data limits and they have much better customer service. I called them about my house and unfortunately they don't have coverage there, but they are looking to expand their coverage in Longview in the next couple of months.

SlobberKnock
AG
quote:
Frontier has screwed way more customers and had local news folks after them and it hasn't changed a thing with their ****ty service.

As folks have said on this thread and others, this will keep happening until the government treats it like other utility services.
Totally agree on point about Frontier. Had Verizon Fios. Service was great. Frontier takes over and my bill jumps 15 with no changes. I call and ask what we can do to get my bill down. They basically say nothing. Mentioned that their rates are higher and I actually have a good deal and say if I was to change anything it would go up 20 more. Course I find this out after getting put on hold and transferred to wrong dept. etc. I even said "there is nothing you can do?? you will lose a customer..." No transfer to retention dept. Just said nope. Cancelling now and going to TWC. It will lower my bill and actually improve internet. Using cable card with hdhomerun prime and windows media center for dvr streaming to xboxes for now. Blows me away how quickly Frontier sank the Fios service.... Truly horrible
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
I upgraded to the 'enhanced' package to get 50 Mbps and a 750 GB cap, but I'm only getting 37 Mbps at the modem. Not only that, but they said it's only 45 Mbps service according to the tech.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.