Getting Rid of Dish - How to get things off DVR?

2,085 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Salty Aggie
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going from Dish to Direct due to a pretty sweet deal I received & Brent helping me switch over. It's about a week til we make the official switch, but I wanted to see if anyone had a way to save the movies & shows we have DVRd so we can access them once the Hopper is gone.
JAW3336
AG
I could be wrong but I don't think it is possible.
tamusc
AG
You can't just copy the actual recording files off and then watch them on your computer or other device.

The only wasy I'm aware of is to hook the analog video output up to a video capture cared on your PC, then play the actual recordings on the DVR while recording the video output with the video capture card. It's basically having to rerecord everything again. Even then, there are some limitations based on the channel the show was recorded off of (like HBO).

Hooray for the MPAA and the DRM it forced on us!
Bulldog73
AG
I figured that to be the case, Jaw, I was just hoping someone smarter than me may know a way.
lexofer
AG
There were a couple of shows I wanted off my old DVR because I was in them so I got a video to USB input thing for my computer but the quality was pretty bad. You can also get a video card to bring HD video into your computer and save but those are a lot more expensive. Probably not worth it for just regular TV shows. Record them again later or find them on demand somewhere.
JAW3336
AG
It is a pain to switch, or have your DVR crap out and lose everything, especially a kids fav show.
TX scallywAG
AG
Do you have the Hopper 3 with Sling? You can "prepare for mobile" which allows you to DL to a device to watch offline.

No sure if the playback is encrypted or done through the Dish app, or the local clients stock media player...Worth trying though.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
CoolaidWade
AG
Whoa, thanks for the reminder! I forgot I wanted to do that deal for DirectTV before May 1st. Totally forgot....
FatZilla
AG
Need a HDFury like device to strip hdmi protection and download your show.
95_Aggie
AG
In a year you'll be paying more and wish you were back with Dish
Bulldog73
AG
I hear you, but it's a two year set price and agreement, which is why I'm jumping.
Aero95
AG
Not sure if you had it enabled or not, but I've got a USB drive connected to my earlier Dish DVR and now my Hopper. It still encodes everything so you're stuck with the Dish device for playback, but you might consider dumping the stuff you want to save on to a USB drive, and then in 25 months when you switch back you might still be able to view them.
Salty Aggie
AG
I am looking at DTV because of a good deal (2 yr fixed price, PLUS unlimited AT&T data service) but am in the same boat with over 500 movies recorded on an external usb hard drive connected to my Dish DVR.

Question I have is this: Can I purchase a used stand-alone Dish DVR ($70 on ebay) and use it only to play these movies while using DTV to watch satellite TV? Or would I need to activate it through Dish still to have it turn on and play my recordings from the external USB?

Thanks & Gig'em
FatZilla
AG
quote:
I am looking at DTV because of a good deal (2 yr fixed price, PLUS unlimited AT&T data service) but am in the same boat with over 500 movies recorded on an external usb hard drive connected to my Dish DVR.

Question I have is this: Can I purchase a used stand-alone Dish DVR ($70 on ebay) and use it only to play these movies while using DTV to watch satellite TV? Or would I need to activate it through Dish still to have it turn on and play my recordings from the external USB?

Thanks & Gig'em

It should work as its just decoding using hardware in the box. You could have dish temporarily disable your box to test the theory. I don't believe its software based as even before i activated my new receiver, i was transferring off my hdd the shows i had recorded.
Salty Aggie
AG
Thanks.
I am calling Dish tonight and will test my current dvr.
permabull
AG
Salty Aggie
AG
Looks like you can't use the dvr without a subscription - because the dvr won't work without the smart card that is in there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.