Fixing a MacBook question

1,273 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by third coast..
Post removed:
by user
revolutionAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Was told that my mid 2012 MBP needs a new graphics card. $400 to repair and $600 to replace the card. Is that a good price? I've seen many used ones for around $600 so to be, buying a used one seems to make more sense. Thoughts?

Does anyone here fix computers ir recommend someone in the league city to Galveston area?

Any info is appreciated and TIA
$400 to repair??? that sounds really high. i get that its a mac, i have a MBP as well, but that sounds ridiculous.

I've done some repairs to my iMac, not too difficult. I haven't looked into doing any repairs on a laptop. The biggest obstacle i'm guessing is just getting the shell open.

I would look online for repair guides for that model mbp and see if it's something you can do yourself.

replacing a video card on a normal computer is really easy. i know macs are a little different as far as repair ease.

also, for a grand you might even think about just putting that to a new computer no?
Post removed:
by user
SlackerAg
AG
I would search for your specific model #'s (the MBP's year isn't enough since they have early-2012 & late-2012 models) NVIDIA video card type & see if you can order a replacement from Amazon cheaper.

Opening the laptop isn't difficult, but they use tiny Torx-5 screws...I had to buy a small screwdriver set. I've opened mine to upgrade RAM & replace a fan before.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
sawemoffshort07
AG
On two different models I have:
1) Upgraded to SSD, upgrade RAM
2) Same as 1, and replaced the logic board
nwspmp
What type of repair are they offering? IIRC, the problem was that a solder type was getting brittle after use, and the only real fix (since the graphics "card" is actually the intergrated Intel graphics and a separate dedicated graphics chip on the main logic board) is to reflow the solder, and there have been some DIY ways, but honestly, I'd not trust it to be easily done at home. Replacing the logic board is actually not really difficult. This particular year uses a Philips #00 screwdriver to hold on the bottom casing and only that and a T6 Torx screwdriver are needed (spudger can be done with a number of home items; but the spudger is cheap if you play a bit safer). Logic boards online are around $400-$500 typically. A brand-new, tested one may be a bit more.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Logic+Board+Replacement/10369

Who's offering the repair? Is it an Apple Store, or a third-party? If it's Apple Store, I'd imagine the only thing I can imagine they'll do is replace the logic board; no skinny-jean wearing "Genius" is going to reflow a logic board.

That said, one option, if it is an Apple Store, is to ask them about a Depot Repair or Flat Rate Repair. Essentially, if they offer it for you machine, it's typically a $310-$350 charge, and they send it back to the hardware repair depot at Apple, who then replaces anything on the entire system that's out of spec or failed. If you do this, definitely back the system up, as there's zero guarantee that your data will come back with it. There's different pricing tiers for the Depot repair, but since this is a non-accidental-damage related repair, it should be the lowest one, around $200-$400 at most.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
revolutionAG
Let us know what happens!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
nwspmp
quote:
Oh, and I think the battery had at least one bad cell, does anyone know if they replace batteries at the depot repair?
From other's reports, if the battery fails some internal test, it'll be replaced in that cost. None of the ones I've had to send in have needed it, so I can't speak to that personally, but some here reported it as replaced.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/35vt6u/a_review_of_the_depot_repair_service_for_my/
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.