Keep Losing Wireless Internet Connection

2,196 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pman17
LightningDammitt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

I live in Bryan, and use Suddenlink for internet... I have two laptops that connect to the router wirelessly.

One laptop, the newer one, Core I7 keeps losing connection. The other computer is fine, and always has been.

For the last two months, whenever my I7 laptop does an update, or reboots, I lose my internet connection. The tray tool says I am connected to the Suddenlink connection, but that there is no internet connection. The other laptop never loses its connection, and works fine with every update and reboot. Both systems run Windows 10.

Diagnosing the connection resets the router, and then suggests unplugging the router and plugging it back in. AFTER unplugging and replugging, the I7 laptop connects to the internet via Suddenlink with no problems.... UNTIL an update or reboot.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the I7 laptop keeps losing it's connection?
FatZilla
AG
Have you updated the drivers for your wireless radio in the laptop that's acting up? How about the routers firmware?
LightningDammitt
AG
quote:
Have you updated the drivers for your wireless radio in the laptop that's acting up? How about the routers firmware?
I just updated the wireless driver... After downloading and installing, I rebooted... and...

It APPEARS that this fixed the problem! Connected right after the reboot!

Thank you SOOOO much!
flakrat
AG
Good deal.
LightningDammitt
AG
Well... It WAS fixed for a few days... now I am back to rebooting the router every day...

Any other ideas?
LightningDammitt
AG
Help?!

TTT...
TX scallywAG
AG
The router may be your issue. Is it sl equipment or personally provided?
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
SlackerAg
AG
The wireless router might need to be set to a different channel for fewer collisions with others.
LightningDammitt
AG
Yes... It is provided by SuddenLink...
Agmechanic
AG
You need to spend money on a real wireless router. Sign up for newegg.com's daily blast. They run specials on routers at least once a week. Turn the wireless off in the SL crappy router and use the new one
Pman17
AG
Yea, invest in your own router. I quit using provided routers 3 years ago, best decision! The problem is these IPs give you a cheap router that doesn't have enough processing power or even rated for Gigabit connections. If you've been with the IP for several years, your router may be outdated. Best to replace a router every 4-5 years like a computer because the wireless bands change and processors get more advanced to handle more devices. When you have too many devices on a router, you can also experience problems with your IP addresses where one device will kick the other one off. Also good to refresh your router IP directory start fresh and re-add devices.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.