*****Total War: Warhammer*****

9,151 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PvL-Vorbeck07
PvL-Vorbeck07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I"m sure any Total War fans are aware of the next title in the series. Total War: Warhammer

https://www.totalwar.com/product/total-war-warhammer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_War:_Warhammer
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER

I've always, with the rare exception, been a huge fan of the Total War games. Recently been playing a Warhammer mod of MTW2 that was really good and that I enjoyed. For those in the know, what are your thoughts, concerns, etc., for this new Total War? Always loved Total War and also enjoyed the Lore and dark Gothic Fantasy world of Warhammer though i'm not into all that super nerd table top stuff. Being that it is set in a dark Fantasy setting like Warhammer instead of a traditional historical setting gives it endless options for content, etc. This could be their best one yet if they don't F it up like they did Rome 2 and Attila....

I've been trying to find the ability to get the Limited and High King editions of the game but man they aren't kidding about it being "Limited"!! And the High King edition ships from England is like $188 bucks roughly!! WTF

From what i've seen, it's looking pretty good though people are b1tching about DLC that should be in the base game, etc. Eh, what's new there? That's how it works these days. Still, it's looking real good a month out.
AggieBob08
AG
I am so excited about this. My two favorite computer games are Total War and Warhammer.
Drake aTm
AG
I'm surprised there aren't more total war threads.

I've been playing total war forever. Til this day I still go back and play original RTW and medieval 2(still the best games of the series IMO, especially with mods).

I haven't played the warhammer mod for medieval 2, but third age is a MUST have especially if you're a big lord of the rings fan. The level of detail that went into it is amazing and is one of Smoothest mods out there. The developers are always improving it. EB is a great mod too, but even my newer desktop can have a hard time running it at times.

As far as the new warhammer game, I think it looks amazing. I'm not really familiar with the lore or board game but it definitely looks appealing to me being the first "fantasy" total war game CA has made. More than likely, I'll probably wait until they fix all the bugs that will come out with the game. If reviews aren't TOO bad, I'll pick it up sooner than later.
Drake aTm
AG
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
I am so excited about this. My two favorite computer games are Total War and Warhammer.
Same here. Really enjoy both games. Warhammer: Dawn of War and Total War are definitely up there in my all time favorite games.

quote:
Me too! This game looks amazing but we'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road.

quote:
I haven't played the warhammer mod for medieval 2,
If this game wasn't coming out soon, i'd tell you to give it a try. It's not as good as TA imo but it's still good. It's called Call of Warhammer.

quote:
third age is a MUST have especially if you're a big lord of the rings fan.
Yup, I have Third Age and it's great. Excellent if you are a LoTR fan.

Regarding Total War:Warhammer, I'm trying to decide if I should pre-order and get the Chaos Warriors race pack OR should I wait a bit and let them fix whatever bugs they may have at launch. Regardless, i'll be getting the game. Also been trying to see about getting the Limited Edition or High King Editions but I can't find where to buy the LE for the life of me( no retailers carry it) and the HK is VERY overpriced for what it's offering. I can always get the Standard version off Steam and if the game bombs for some reason, then you can get a refund. It does irk me that they are already doing DLC before the game even launches with that Chaos Warriors. It sucks they aren't including them as a 5th race in the core game. That's the only gripe I and many others have so far with this game.

Teacher_Ag
AG
Huge Total War fan and this will be the first title I'm skipping. I was so disappointed when they announced they'd be releasing a Warhammer iteration. I'm sure it'll be a good game, fantasy stuff just doesn't do anything for me. Kind of hoping they are in the early stages of developing Medieval Total War III.
hunter2012
AG
looking forward to Warhammer Politics

hunter2012
AG
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
Huge Total War fan and this will be the first title I'm skipping. I was so disappointed when they announced they'd be releasing a Warhammer iteration. I'm sure it'll be a good game, fantasy stuff just doesn't do anything for me. Kind of hoping they are in the early stages of developing Medieval Total War III.
Fair enough. I'm a Warhammer fan of sorts so combining Total War and Warhammer is like a giant nerdgasm for me. I too would love to have a MTW3. MTW2 is probably my favorite TW of them all. It's definitely time for a fresh take on the Medieval world for Total War. Total agree.
hunter2012
AG
which one are ya'll?

I'm probably the picky...
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
^
Hah! ok, I laughed.I'm somewhere in between Picky and Fanboy for sure.
hunter2012
AG
last one.

AggieBob08
AG
Where do i get this Warhammer mod for MTW2??
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:

Here's the link on the Total War Forums. LINK . I believe the latest version is 1.6. Fair warning....I won't lie, it was kinda a pain in the a$$ since you have to download in 4 or 5 parts and they are pretty large. That was for the 1.5.1 patch so maybe they've made an easier "How To" Install guide.

Youtube link - here

hunter2012
AG
Also petty kings is fun if you like the game of thrones universe. The night's watch are a bunch of badasses for only 3 units.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
quote:

Here's the link on the Total War Forums. LINK . I believe the latest version is 1.6. Fair warning....I won't lie, it was kinda a pain in the a$$ since you have to download in 4 or 5 parts and they are pretty large. That was for the 1.5.1 patch so maybe they've made an easier "How To" Install guide.

Youtube link - here

Ok, so I had Call of Warhammer aka Rage of Dark Gods version 1.5.1 and decided yesterday to update to 1.6. I didn't realize it's still in beta; however, once I followed the instructions in that video and did some other minor troubleshooting in that link above, I finally got it to work after a few hrs tinkering with it.

So having played 1.5.1, I have to say that the mod has definitely improved significantly. They've added a lot of new stuff. Unit textures, races, redid the map, etc, etc. I'm pleasantly surprised. I've heard that sometimes it will still CTD every now and then for some people but again, it's in beta so that's to be expected and as long as you save fairly frequently, it's not that big a deal. Still, I played for several hrs tonight and didn't crash once so cross my fingers but I appear to be good to go. It'll definitely do quite nicely till Total War: Warhammer comes out in a month!!!
3rd and 2
AG
I'm going to wait for reviews for Warmammer before buying. I loved, loved, loved Shogun 2. Because of that I preordered Rome 2 and got completely burned. The game came out in beta form! It was an awful set back.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
I'm going to wait for reviews for Warmammer before buying. I loved, loved, loved Shogun 2. Because of that I preordered Rome 2 and got completely burned. The game came out in beta form! It was an awful set back.
Pretty wise move I would say and lots of people from what i've been reading are probably going to take that approach. I'm waiting to see if I can get the Limited Edition and if so, then i'll more than likely preorder like a chump. Warhammer and Total War is like a match made in Heaven for me. My hope is that CA learned a valuable lesson from the Rome 2 fiasco but who knows.....
I Like Mike
AG
quote:

I've been playing total war forever. Til this day I still go back and play original RTW and medieval 2(still the best games of the series IMO, especially with mods).

I haven't played the warhammer mod for medieval 2, but third age is a MUST have especially if you're a big lord of the rings fan. The level of detail that went into it is amazing and is one of Smoothest mods out there. The developers are always improving it. EB is a great mod too, but even my newer desktop can have a hard time running it at times.

As far as the new warhammer game, I think it looks amazing. I'm not really familiar with the lore or board game but it definitely looks appealing to me being the first "fantasy" total war game CA has made. More than likely, I'll probably wait until they fix all the bugs that will come out with the game. If reviews aren't TOO bad, I'll pick it up sooner than later.
Tried installing Third Age on my Windows 10 laptop and it immediately crashed. Any ideas on a fix?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

Tried installing Third Age on my Windows 10 laptop and it immediately crashed. Any ideas on a fix?

I had a similar problem where it would crash in the middle of a battle. I got a sub mod called MOS, it stands for Massive Overhaul Submod and it was made for third age. Since then I've had absolutely zero problems.
hunter2012
AG
Also for modded older games be sure to get the Large Address Aware program. It allows you to play 32 bit games on higher RAM settings. Newer mods may use more than the original 2 GB RAM cap, especially a total war game that loves to abuse RAM with the large armies. LAA requires at least 3 GB so be sure you have it first. Actually the LAA might be the only thing you need but the MOS is the latest and greatest if you will. It's was even updated to this last month
I Like Mike
AG
quote:
Also for modded older games be sure to get the Large Address Aware program. It allows you to play 32 bit games on higher RAM settings. Newer mods may use more than the original 2 GB RAM cap, especially a total war game that loves to abuse RAM with the large armies. LAA requires at least 3 GB so be sure you have it first. Actually the LAA might be the only thing you need but the MOS is the latest and greatest if you will. It's was even updated to this last month
MOS worked and holy hell this mod is sweet!!
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
MOS worked and holy hell this mod is sweet!!
Yep, the original mod was good but it was still had some bugs and lag. MOS feels like an original video game though, it's extremely well polished.
AggieBob08
AG
Pre ordered....the reviews look awesome.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Yep, pre-ordered the Limited Edition last week and waiting for it to arrive. It looks amazing and by most accounts i've seen, it's getting great reviews.
Drake aTm
AG
I'm thinking about actually buying a new "rig" just for this game.

I've been using a Gaming laptop I've had since 2008. Mostly playing rome 1 and medieval 2 with my favorite mods(EB,TA,etc.)

At least now I can finally play Rome 2, shogun 2 and warhammer. Any recommendations on where to buy a good, cheap,(less than a grand) PC that will run these games?
TexAgg10
AG
quote:

I've been using a Gaming laptop I've had since 2008. Mostly playing rome 1 and medieval 2 with my favorite mods(EB,TA,etc.)

At least now I can finally play Rome 2, shogun 2 and warhammer. Any recommendations on where to buy a good, cheap,(less than a grand) PC that will run these games?

It's easy to build a decent gaming PC for <1000, and you really don't need much technical know-how.
ag_derp
AG
So I been playing for like 5 hours total so far. I got to say I wasnt a fan of the fantasy setting, but this game made my jaw drop. They did a fantastic job with the game. I dont think they missed a single piece of detail, and the game is running so smooth for me. Compared to other Total War releases, this one blows all of them out of the water. For some reason it reminds me of Shogun 2 simply because its the most immersive and fun total war game to date imo. I really dont want to stop playing but work.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
So I been playing for like 5 hours total so far. I got to say I wasnt a fan of the fantasy setting, but this game made my jaw drop. They did a fantastic job with the game. I dont think they missed a single piece of detail, and the game is running so smooth for me. Compared to other Total War releases, this one blows all of them out of the water. For some reason it reminds me of Shogun 2 simply because its the most immersive and fun total war game to date imo. I really dont want to stop playing but work.
Awesome to hear this....all the reviews that keep coming out the past few days are giving it high marks. I'm still waiting on the LE version to arrive from the UK. It's supposed to be here tomorrow or Friday but it's driving me nuts waiting!!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Does anyone who has picked this up think it has much replayability to it? I'm tempted to pick it up, but am concerned campaigns would get repetitive fast since you always start in the same place and play the same map. (I always enjoy Civ's randomly generated maps for this reason.)
Drake aTm
AG
How is the game so far?

Read some pretty good reviews, but I'll probably hold off.

I just picked up Rome 2 and the campaign map is absolutely beautiful. A ton of wonders to capture, and I'm fascinated by how you can rotate it to see different perspectives.(newest total war game I've played since empire.)

I only wish you could build more buildings in all regions....

I'm about 200 turns in and I've almost conquered the entire map. I have about 8 legions, no fleets and making about 50k per turn.

So addicting.

I'll probably be playing this for a while.
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
quote:

It's easy to build a decent gaming PC for <1000, and you really don't need much technical know-how.

I ended up just buying another laptop. It runs Rome 2 on ultra settings flawlessly.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
How is the game so far?

I just picked up Rome 2 and the campaign map is absolutely beautiful. A ton of wonders to capture, and I'm fascinated by how you can rotate it to see different perspectives.(newest total war game I've played since empire.)

I'm about 200 turns in and I've almost conquered the entire map. I have about 8 legions, no fleets and making about 50k per turn.

So addicting.

I've stalled on a campaign because I allied with Athens and Egypt and now we're the only factions left. I can't turn on one without the other declaring war.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
How is the game so far?

So addicting.

Well, i've been playing Total War: Warhammer for a couple of weeks now and i'm absolutely loving it. It's received excellent reviews across the board and I can definitely see why. It's just a damn great game and addicting and fun as hell to play.

1. Launch was damn near perfect. Only one minor issue the day it came out which they fixed quickly.
2. My rig is 5+ years old and so is my video card but even playing this on the lower settings, it's really beautiful and runs quite smooth. I can't imagine how amazing the graphics are if you have a recent high end video card and are at max settings. I haven't had any performance issues.
3. The game itself is probably in my opinion the best Total War yet. I've played all of the previous Total War games to a certain extent but this one has the best from all of them and did a good job keeping out the bad. Adding flying mounts and magic to the game was a great move and they did a good job of keeping both of them reasonable and not overpowered.
4. The marriage of Total War and Warhammer was just brilliant. They were meant for each other. This game really brings to life the Warhammer world in a way that's never been done IMO.
5. I've had many, what I would consider, down right epic battles. I've been playing the Empire campaign and it's quite a challenge. Consolidating Reikland through force against the Secessionists, using savy diplomacy against the other Empire provinces to buy myself time until i'm powerful enough to Confederate with them. Holding off the Greenskin Orc hordes in the South while crushing the Vampire counts in the east was very difficult. In doing that as early as I could, I left myself open in the North to be almost overrun by the forces of Chaos. With the Greenskins subdued (for now) and the VC crushed, I rallied just in the nic of time to prevent Chaos from sweeping me entirely. Finally, after much back and forth, I had a showdown with 3 Chaos armies led by Archaon outside the city of Kislev. I was outnumbered but battle hardened (my 2 armies vs their 3) and had a unique modified Tercio formation that allowed my artillery and Steam tanks to pummel the Chaos troops while my front line Halberdiers held firm under my main hero's leadership. They almost buckled and routed 3 times due to assaults from Chaos giants and trolls before I was finally able to have Emperor Karl Franz go toe to toe with Archaon and barely defeat him!! Once their leader was killed, I counter-attacked with all my reserves and it was still a fight on my hands, (Chaos is no joke!!). Finally, ever so slowly, the tide turned and a full on rout began. The remnants of my Reiksguard Knights attacked in a flanking pincer movement and that was the end for them. It was a slaughter at that point. That's was 150 turns in and once I shattered the bulk of their armies with Archaon dead, I finally had some breathing room to consolidate my Empire, rebuild my almost shattered armies and then march off South to take on the Greenskins. Still, Chaos was defeated but only for now....i know they'll be back! Damn good times!!

Oh, and it's only going to get better IMO. The DLC they have coming down the pipe is just going to make it better and better. This is one i'll be playing for a LONG time, especially since they already have some nice Mods out for it.

My verdict, if you couldn't tell, is that the game was a home run. Hell, I believe it's the fastest selling TW game ever so that's quite an accomplishment. (over 500,000 copies sold). If you are on the fence, i'd say get it. I was a bit at first too but have really been pleasantly surprised. It's great!!
Drake aTm
AG
Wow. Awesome review.

Between Rome 2 and warhammer, these games are going to consume my life...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.