Who/what would you use for TV?

1,468 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Guitarsoup
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are renovating our house and about to need cable/internet hooked up. We watch: A lot of sports, HBO, Some network shows. We have Amazon prime.

Will have 6 TV's but will only watch 2 regularly, but will want to be able to use the other TV's without too much difficulty. Do you have to have a box for every TV now, or has technology/options gotten better to where TV's can somehow pick up a signal without being connected to a box? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
TX scallywAG
AG
Satellite providers offer wireless secondary boxes these days. You main receiver requires a hard line connection, secondary boxes can communicate wirelessly.

I cannot speak to Direct TV as I havent had them in years, but Dish uses its own proprietary wireless connection back to your main receiver (called the Hopper). It does not ride you LAN/home network wifi. These secondary dish boxes (called Joeys) can also operate hardwired via coax RG6 or cat 5e/6 if a cable is available.

I'm a Dish fan. Mentioned it on TA many times... great picture quality, solid channel selection, high end equipment, roughly 20% more price agressive than Direct in most cases.

Streaming Sling TV (which Dish actually owns) is out of the question when you start adding multiple TVs. It's $25 per month per TV in use. Adds up quick! It's $8 to add a TV on Dish.

4K resolution Dish Hopper should come out later this year! Showed it off at CES back in January.

Do your research. Should you chose to go Dish, I have a $50 off code in this thread below. I also mention my channel package & list many (not all) of the channels, including sports.
http://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2662988

Good luck.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:

4K resolution Dish Hopper should come out later this year! Showed it off at CES back in January.

It's already out. Got it installed yesterday. Ridiculously fast, 16 tuners. Incredible machine.
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
quote:

It's already out. Got it installed yesterday. Ridiculously fast, 16 tuners. Incredible machine.

Nice!!!! I'm up for new equipment in June. Upgrade time!
---
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for the response. Have a lot of research to do!
agcrock2005
AG
OK, it's actually time to do something. Is there a good website that compares different companies and the various options they provide? I don't really want to act like I'm signing up for 3 different services to find out what the prices are, unless I have to. Thanks again.
TX scallywAG
AG
As far as Dish goes:

Channel package comparison:
https://www.mydish.com/upgrades/compare-packages

2 Year Price Lock for $50 a month:
http://www.dish.com/packages/

Added updated $50 off Dish codes to my thread previously mentioned. Link below, try these codes first:
ARP320135286 (added this code 5-2-16)
DRB010678170 (added this code 4-23-16)
EML926456606 (added this code 4-2-16)

http://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2662988/replies/44026372#44026372

Hope that helps!

---
Guitarsoup
AG
I just have sling TV and don't watch that much of that. In April, I watched a few basketball games on ESPN/TNT and that's it.
howitzercannon
AG
It looks like just having a pretty good internet connection and Sony's Vue or playstation's Vue for $45 will get you all the sports channels, FX, AMC, and a few others. Throw in Netflix, amazon prime, and HBO Online you shouldn't be hurting for content, especially mixed in with chromcast and amazon Firestick to watch all items through your apps on your phone.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Does Vue have SEC network?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Does Vue have SEC network?
Their middle and top of the line packages do for me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.