Any eero owners here?

3,164 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by shimmeringshark
texrover91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks expensive but the mesh aspect looks compelling

Any other recommendations for a similar product? Tired of constantly having to reconnect devices

(Currently using poweline but repeaters tend to degrade the signal and no hand off)

tamusc
AG
Interested in feedback as well.

Also keeping an eye on Luma, which is basically the same concept, though the app seems a little more extensive and doesn't require you to use their cloud storage (for better or worse) to manage settings. Also cheaper at the moment since you can still get in on the preorder prices on Amazon.

https://getluma.com/

Either product would be a godsend for my folks home (heck, even my place) if they work as advertised.
jagouar1
AG
For the price you are better getting the ubiquiti poe stuff. Its about the same price are far more powerful.
texrover91
AG
quote:
For the price you are better getting the ubiquiti poe stuff. Its about the same price are far more powerful.

Thank you jagouar I'm looking at Ubi as well.

Do you have many issues reconnecting devices to the network?

I need something simple that the whole family can use without hearing "honey, I can't get the Internet to work". We're on suddenLink and I'm constantly resetting the router and getting APs back online and especially PC's

tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

I need something simple that the whole family can use without hearing "honey, I can't get the Internet to work". We're on suddenLink and I'm constantly resetting the router and getting APs back online and especially PC's

Same here except it's my parents who live out in the country with a LOS wireless internet connection.
Wife is an Aggie
Bump..

Thinking about eero, luma, or open mesh to use at home. Any recent reviews from anyone?
WolfmanC18
AG
I installed the eero system a couple of weeks ago. I bought the 3 pack after being on the Luma preorder list and never getting a shipping confirmation. Eero was price matching those who preordered Luma, so I picked up the system for around 40% off.

Installation is a breeze. Literally plug and play with their iPhone app.

I have no more dead spots through the house. It just works. For those of us who aren't router/wap savvy, I can't think of a better solution.
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
I installed the eero system a couple of weeks ago. I bought the 3 pack after being on the Luma preorder list and never getting a shipping confirmation. Eero was price matching those who preordered Luma, so I picked up the system for around 40% off.

I have no more dead spots through the house. It just works. For those of us who aren't router/wap savvy, I can't think of a better solution.

Yeah I really want to get this just not sure if I want to pay the $500 for it. Dang would have loved to pick it up for 40% off!
VonDownByTheRiver
We've have Cisco VPN issues with users that have them, if that's important to you.
tamusc
AG
quote:

How do you get in on the 40% off? I'm sitting on the Luma preorder list myself and might be tempted by this.

I've looked into Ubiquiti and while it does look interesting (and probably more adaptable), I'd have to spend a decent amount to get the same functionality/coverage as eero (and probably Luma) at my folks place. I might end up going the Ubiquiti route for my place though.
tamusc
AG
Looks like there's a couple new mesh network options coming soon including Ubiquiti's new home mesh network solution AmpliFi and another mesh netowrking startup similar to Luma and eero called Plume.
Wife is an Aggie
Wow looks like competition is really ramping up. The plume pods are interesting and claim to be better than mesh... I am tempted to pre order the 6 pods for $234. Wonder if eero will keep their price point as high as it is with all of these lower cost alternatives coming out?

tamusc
AG
quote:
Wow looks like competition is really ramping up. The plume pods are interesting and claim to be better than mesh... I am tempted to pre order the 6 pods for $234. Wonder if eero will keep their price point as high as it is with all of these lower cost alternatives coming out?

Yeah, I had a similar thought. I'm still in on the Luma preorder at $299 for the three pack, but I just got another delay notice. Might cancel and see what these others have to offer and how they affect pricing of the existing competition.
texrover91
AG
Well to my wife's chagrin I dropped the $400 for Luma at Best Buy. I explained to her that we'd be spending that on individual AP's plus a router and probably a controller to get better wifi plus better network management in the house

Honestly if I had the time I'd probably go with Uni or the like. Other than liking nerdy DIY stuff going with Luma etc makes sense

So far not much to say regarding Luma other than after spending an hour with it we are not ready for prime time.

I expected it to be a breeze, and it should be, but I'm thinking the RF might be the short end of the stick for Luma in our house - we're about 4300 sq ft and a lengthy floor plan (more rectangle than square)

A couple of comments:

1. The setup app is pretty straightforward - easier than a router plus APs for sure

2. While I can get a signal for each AP and walk down the length of the house and keep a video playing uninterrupted on my iPhone, the App keeps telling me the Lumas are too far apart (more than 40') so I can't get out of "test" mode and try any other features (and my wife can't get on the network - but that might be user error on her part)

3. The APs obviously need AC power. So getting good coverage and near an outlet Can be a possible issue

4. While you know you will be using an app and smartphone for setup, there is not a single printed document in the box

4.a. Looks like Luma spent as much on packaging as on the AP; no idea why they couldn't give you a manual with some basics on what to expect for coverage (40' between APs can't be right) and setup options

5. Your network will start at your modem, so, if your modem is in a poor location you start with the same RF limitations - we probably need one more Luma to get over that hurdle.

6. Eero has better reviews on Amazon and mostly complaints there about Luma support

7. CNet gives eero good marks and there are probably better RF options than Luma but that's TBD at our house

8. I do think Luma has a better app and features than eero but I doubt that makes a big difference in the long run compared to eero

9. The Luma units feel pretty solid, more hefty than I expected, but, no wall or ceiling mount option

10. I kind of expected the Luma units to be marked like a Claymore mine to indicate optimum signal ("front toward enemy") It's designed to stand up and the power and Ethernet ports are on the back - so what happens if it's lying down or turned backwards? Not sure how the antennae are configured/optimal orientation but implication is "font toward enemy".

This weekend I'm going to try to move the first AP to a cat5 jack more in the middle of the house and see if I can improve the RF. If there truly is a 40' range limitation I'll probably return it to Best Buy - I haven't even started the 2nd floor and we're adding two new bedrooms up stairs - Will probably end up with more APs than I planned and I can probably leverage cat5 for a cheaper option

Overall it's worth a try - it's sitting on the shelf at Best Buy and can be returned rather easily for full refund....
tamusc
AG
Thanks for the review! It seems to line up with some of the limited reviews on Luma that I've been able to find online. Most seem to find that the radio and speeds on Luma are slower/shorter range than eero, but that the app and config options are more robust. Of course as you pointed out, options don't matter if you can't get the units set up in the first place. Eero has also said they will be adding more capabilities, but who knows when that will happen.

Looks look we're mostly in a wait and see situation unless you absolutely need something right now.
WolfmanC18
AG
quote:
quote:

How do you get in on the 40% off? I'm sitting on the Luma preorder list myself and might be tempted by this.

I've looked into Ubiquiti and while it does look interesting (and probably more adaptable), I'd have to spend a decent amount to get the same functionality/coverage as eero (and probably Luma) at my folks place. I might end up going the Ubiquiti route for my place though.
I emailed eero support and told them that I was frustrated waiting for the Luma and that if they would price match my $299 Luma preorder price that I would order the eero that day.

I got an email back shortly after with a coupon code for use on eero's website that lowered the price to $299.
Wife is an Aggie
Did they ask for any sort of confirmation of your Luma preorder status?
WolfmanC18
AG
quote:
I had to send in proof of preorder. In my case, it was a screenshot.
texrover91
AG
quote:
Thanks for the review! It seems to line up with some of the limited reviews on Luma that I've been able to find online. Most seem to find that the radio and speeds on Luma are slower/shorter range than eero, but that the app and config options are more robust. Of course as you pointed out, options don't matter if you can't get the units set up in the first place. Eero has also said they will be adding more capabilities, but who knows when that will happen.

Looks look we're mostly in a wait and see situation unless you absolutely need something right now.

Just to note: even tho there is no documentation in the package, you can still access the internet and go to their support page or setup guide thru the App - just a bit clunky way to do it. And I was never able to exit the test mode to get back to the App; but it's not very intuitive how to get there within the App itself.

Seems if you're going to invest so much in paper packaging you'd do the same on documentation - I'm old school!

I haven't seen anything specific on range/speed that was overly derogatory; but as you point out it could have good/great range and speed but the software/interface is limiting

From a raw RF perspective and user experience it's great; I've seen (near) 1000megabits per second speeds (AC1200) in reviews. It certainly less depending on environment and only between devices

**As an aside, trying to find the Luma website today for support and after 5 pages of GIS there is still domain that shows up other than social media (twitter and facebook) Kind of a big oversight if you ask me; I don't do social media.

FYI their portal is www.getluma.com

texrover91
AG
quote:
quote:
I had to send in proof of preorder. In my case, it was a screenshot.
Ha wonder if I can send a receipt from Best Buy and just tell them I'm dissatisfied?

But I won't push it until after the weekend - I've got 15 days to return no questions asked and I want to run further traps on the unit...
Wife is an Aggie
So I am determined I will eventually buy one of the following:

eero
Luma
Plume
Amplifi
Securifi
Open Mesh

Now to figure out which one is the hard part.
tamusc
AG
A brief, early review of Amplifi. Not really in depth, but interesting none the less.

http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-router-will-kill-all-your-wi-fi-deadspots-1784006697
Azariah
AG
quote:
quote:

I have three Unifi APs to cover my 3400 sq ft house, and one UAP-LR to cover the garage and yard. It's a bit of overkill (I could probably get by with 2/1), but my wireless network is rock solid, and has been since I put it in more than two years ago. Family of four with laptops, iPhones, iPads, IOT devices, and several Xbox Ones are all stable enough that no one thinks about the wifi any more.
texasaggie04
AG
I had never heard of these things before. But this piqued my interest. Amazon has invested in Luma. Could be big news for those of us building smart homes.

quote:
The two companies already have identified several integration points, particularly around Amazon's Echo product. For example, making sure that Echo's "Alexa" not only has connectivity throughout the home, but also enabling voice controls into the home network. Moreover, there are plans to integrate routers into Alexa, and the two companies will work on cross-promotional efforts.
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
I had never heard of these things before. But this piqued my interest. Amazon has invested in Luma. Could be big news for those of us building smart homes.

quote:
The two companies already have identified several integration points, particularly around Amazon's Echo product. For example, making sure that Echo's "Alexa" not only has connectivity throughout the home, but also enabling voice controls into the home network. Moreover, there are plans to integrate routers into Alexa, and the two companies will work on cross-promotional efforts.

Yeah seems like Luma hasn't had as good of reviews as eero so far but if they will be working with Amazon that could be a game changer.
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
A brief, early review of Amplifi. Not really in depth, but interesting none the less.

http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-router-will-kill-all-your-wi-fi-deadspots-1784006697
Thanks for the link. Knowing the Amplifi is coming from a very well regarded professional and already established company is a huge + in my opinion.

What I would like to know is if I can add additional mesh router extenders (after the two that come with it) & how easy are they to move around the house. Can you just plug and play or do they need to be set up every time you plug it back in?
shimmeringshark
AG
I have the eero mesh routers. Easy peasy setup and has solved dead spots.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.