Dark Souls III

20,402 Views | 195 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TriumphForks
HowdyOutbound
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who else is picking this up on April 12?

Chase McGuire
Bloodborne was so good I probably won't be able to stay away.
Halibut
AG
This is a day 1 purchase for me. The Souls games (and Bloodborne) have been some of the best games in the past decade. Hope this is a return to the coherent connected world design that we got in Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.
Drake aTm
AG
I haven't played any of the dark souls games, but I loved demon souls.

Bloodborne was fun, but I never beat it. I got extremely frustrated and gave up.

Should I buy another demon souls game before picking this up?

I think in the meantime I'll try to beat bloodborne
SECivil Ag-11
AG
I went back and got the platinum trophy for Dark Souls to prep for Dark Souls 3. I cannot freaking wait.

Love how great the game looks using Bloodborne's engine.
HowdyOutbound
I just hope they got all the frame rate issues worked out with the Bloodborne engine.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Ugh yeah, true that. Also to not have to patch the awful loading times post release lol. Gameplay footage in the trailer looks great, but of course those are the equivalent to glamour shots to show it off. They've had over a year now to play and tweak it though, so here's to hoping!
E.KingTrill
I'm still trying to beat Dark Souls I
Tex117
AG
quote:
I haven't played any of the dark souls games, but I loved demon souls.

Bloodborne was fun, but I never beat it. I got extremely frustrated and gave up.

Should I buy another demon souls game before picking this up?

I think in the meantime I'll try to beat bloodborne
Nah, I'd just go into it knowing that the learning curve will be steep.

Maybe Dark Souls 3 will click more with you. Bloodborne has noteably faster combat and can (sometimes) reward wildly swinging.

The Souls games have a slower tactical combat approach.
Wildmen03
AG
I played the first Dark Souls, mostly because of the internet buzz around it. I have never felt so discontented to finish a game.

It was easily the hardest game I've ever played and that was supposed to be the charm of it. I rage quit that game so many times and took so much time to cool off I had to look up the controls to remember how to play at least twice. Plus I got lost on the story line. I tried reading and talking all I could to fill in the gaps to only say screw it, finish the game and then read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

Was the second game any more enjoyable?
Drake aTm
AG
Thanks.

Haven't played any of the dark souls games, though I've heard they were the best.

Bloodborne was extremely difficult, but very rewarding when you beat a boss.
HowdyOutbound
I liked DS2. It will keep you busy for a while, and there are several DLCs for it. They released a new version of it called DS2: Scholar of the First Sin that has all the DLCs and enhanced graphics for PS4.
Tex117
AG
quote:
I played the first Dark Souls, mostly because of the internet buzz around it. I have never felt so discontented to finish a game.

It was easily the hardest game I've ever played and that was supposed to be the charm of it. I rage quit that game so many times and took so much time to cool off I had to look up the controls to remember how to play at least twice. Plus I got lost on the story line. I tried reading and talking all I could to fill in the gaps to only say screw it, finish the game and then read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

Was the second game any more enjoyable?
It was more of the same....Had better build variety, but didn't have the awe-inspiring level design.

Its by no means a bad game. Its a great game, but IMO Dark Souls is a masterpiece.
Tex117
AG
quote:
Thanks.

Haven't played any of the dark souls games, though I've heard they were the best.

Bloodborne was extremely difficult, but very rewarding when you beat a boss.
Bloodborne, IMO was slightly easier than the Souls games. Simply because you could get away with a wild swing every once in awhile, and you didn't have to focus so much on the RPG elements.

The Souls games are a step towards RPGs, Bloodborne is a step towards Action.

The Souls games allow you to use a shield. This considerably changes the pace of the game.

Id wait for DSIII at this point. The first experience is always unique, though the learning curve will be steep.

HowdyOutbound
Also, you don't really need to play the other dark souls games before this one. The story is so confusing that it won't matter.
Chase McGuire
What story?
Tex117
AG
quote:
Also, you don't really need to play the other dark souls games before this one. The story is so confusing that it won't matter.
I gotcha. I can do it in few paragraphs.

First there were dragons. Then after a war and Seath the scaleless betraying the other dragons, 4 "gods" of fire emerged. Gwyn, Nito, The Witch, and the Furtive Pygmay. The Furtive Pygmany is human and wants to bring about the Age Of Dark (age of men without gods).

Go through Dark Souls. One NPC wants you to "link the dying fire" so that the Age of Fire (gods) can continue. Another says don't and bring about the Age of Dark (Men). Pick which one.

Dark Souls 2. This is all a cycle. Rinse and repeat. The cycle continues.

Dark Souls 3? Well, Miyazaki said we get an end to the series, so your guess is as good as mine.

Manus plays in there somewhere, but...that's the gist of it.

HowdyOutbound
quote:
quote:

First there were dragons. Then after a war and Seath the scaleless betraying the other dragons, 4 "gods" of fire emerged. Gwyn, Nito, The Witch, and the Furtive Pygmay. The Furtive Pygmany is human and wants to bring about the Age Of Dark (age of men without gods).

Go through Dark Souls. One NPC wants you to "link the dying fire" so that the Age of Fire (gods) can continue. Another says don't and bring about the Age of Dark (Men). Pick which one.

Dark Souls 3? Well, Miyazaki said we get an end to the series, so your guess is as good as mine.

What is all a cycle?
Tex117
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

What is all a cycle?
Well, after Bloodborne "cycles" can be lots of things.

The cycle of the fire almost dying...someone coming along and linking the fire. Rinse and repeat.

There are entire reddits dedicated to the story, but that's enough to give you a general sense of the overall story.
Halibut
AG
If Dark Souls is too tough, don't forget to summon dudes to help you. Some people say it makes the game easy, but this is one of the coolest features of these games. Fighting Ornstein and Smough with 2 other people is one of the coolest moments in any game.

Definitely try a "level" or boss by yourself a couple of times, but don't bang your head against a wall. Also don't be afraid to lay down your own summoning sign. You get to feel out bosses with literally no risk (other than time), and the rewards (souls/humanity) are awesome.

Man, I'm so pumped for DS3.
Pman17
AG
I pre-ordered it. Never played Dark Souls before but heard it was really good. Has anyone got their Dark Souls code yet for Xbox?
Sandman23
AG
Day 1 purchase for me as well. Went back and Platinumed Bloodborne and am trying to finally beat Dark Souls 2 (my first Souls experience) while I wait.
Scotty Flamingo
You're *********right I'll be getting this...so jealous that the xbox version comes with ds1
Tex117
AG
quote:
You're *********right I'll be getting this...so jealous that the xbox version comes with ds1
Huh?

Wildmen03
AG
quote:
quote:
Huh?

The Xbox version comes with Dark Souls 1.
Scotty Flamingo
Gah...Can't freaking wait
AGinHI
AG
quote:
Is it worth it, being frustrating and all?
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it worth it, being frustrating and all?

Going back and trying to play it again, I didn't find it worth it. Especially losing a ton of bloodstones...

But, I remember beating bosses felt extremely rewarding, when I first started playing.

Raggy09
AG
Of course.
Scotty Flamingo
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/03/15/6-of-dark-souls-3s-deadliest-looking-armor-and-weapon-sets

IGN has posted a video of some of the coolest looking armor and weapons in the game...I'm digging the fallen armor.
Chase McGuire
Reviews are rolling in.
nomad2007
AG
I'm still stuck on the two dragonriders in DS2.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I'm still stuck on the two dragonriders in DS2.
I don't know what version or platform you're playing on, but I've had a weird experience with DS2:SOTFS. I recently picked up the game for XB1 since I never played the DS2 DLC. I have seen plenty of evidence of online activity, but I've received only one or two invaders and I'm almost done with the game. After the first couple of bosses, I've seen very few player summon signs. Despite that, I've gottened summoned plenty of times, even at high levels - sometimes I've had to wait a minute or two, but that's it.

Anyway, the bottom line is that in SOTFS they added a bunch more NPC summons, to the point that there are three that you can get to aid with The Rotten. Last night I used a Bonfire Ascetic the beat the NG+ version of The Rotten and get the soul that allowed me to craft the Crypt Blacksword (which I'm not exactly loving so far, truth be told).

So if you're stuck, make sure you're looking up where any NPC summon signs are located. And if you share what version and platform you're on, maybe someone can help you.

And as far as the OP's question, of course I'll be day one-ing DS3. Can't wait! Except that I can, because as some of you may know but none has mentioned, DS3 leaked for XB1 on the Japanese release date. I thought about grabbing it (mostly legitimately, in the sense that you could buy the Japanese version but get the English version to download), but I decided to hold off and participate in the true launch.

Afterwards, I thought about it like this: As a kid, was I excited for Christmas? You know I was. Did I wish Christmas would hurry up and arrive? Of course. But if someone had said in early December "Hey, would you like to just go ahead and unwrap your presents now? You can have them today, but without all of the other things that make December 25th Christmas," I would not have been interested.

And it turns out that if you got it this way, you got an easier version of the game that was provided to game reviewers and lacks the day one patch that we'll get at release. That plus wanting to play it with peak online interaction made this the right decision for me.

By the way, there is a Reddit-organized PVP event farewell for DS2:SOTFS this coming weekend. It's stickied in the DS2 Reddit. It's called Battle For The Bastille and it's basically Fight Clubs in The Lost Bastille. Sounds like the Tower Apart bonfire is where most of the action will be. I can't wait to check it out myself.
Bryan98
AG
Whoops, that PVP event this weekend is mostly going to be around the Servant's Quarters bonfire, my bad on that.
jokershady
AG
If anyone watches game grumps on YouTube, they got an early release of it and are playing it now in a series

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.