Firewatch (PS4/PC)

2,108 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PatAg
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This game is pretty amazing. I am on the last chapter/day and the game is just gorgeous and the voice acting is phenomenal. Just be aware that the ps4 has some performance issues because it is unlocked 60fps.

Somewhat spoilers for the opening.

The opening 10 minutes reminded me of a certain Pixar film where you make text choices about why you end up in the park interlaced with you walking into the park. Very powerful opening
SeattleAgJr
Agreed, for the most part, but I absolutely disagree with you re: the opening 10 minutes.

The Q&A options were horrible, for the most part, and represented neither options I would have chosen nor any reasonably sane man. Nothing is more frustrating that being given choices and an illusion of involvement, and the only options are more than often crappy/bad. I personally would have preferred a straight narrative, kind of how Alan Wake handled the flashbacks in the New York blizzard storm. Tell me the base story and let me move through it.

I appreciate what they were trying to do/did, but I do not like the heavy handedness of it.
Tex117
AG
I really liked Firewatch. Beat it in two sittings (almost one).

It is certainly a step forward in that whole "walking simulator" narrative drive, games as art category.

The writing in terms of how natural the conversations feel between Delilah and Henry along with the solid voice acting and the art design (the color palate especially) come together to make a great game.

bevokilla
AG
Is it worth $20 or whatever? For two sittings that seems like a bit much
04texag
AG
The game is great, I'm enjoying it and feel it was $ well spent.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
It is a better deal than paying $14 for a 2 hour movie.

So yes.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
It is a better deal than paying $14 for a 2 hour movie.

So yes.

I have started doing this relating to games to movies and realized $20 is nothing

I will admit I wouldn't have made those choices but I still felt very emotionally attached and could understand the thought process because men do that everyday in less dire circumstances than what he is going through.

It hit close to home because my grandmother is going through a similar situation and my grandfather broke down at Christmas and started yelling at the rest of us not knowing what he has to go through dealing with her condition. He is fighting but it is not far off to see a younger and less dedicated man go down the same path that Henry does. My grandfather has been married 60 years, he is committed.

Just realized my grandpa has the same name as Henry as well, though he normally goes by his middle name
wee_ag
AG
been following this for a while. Haven't had a chance to get it yet, but glad it's living up to the expectations.
Ganondorf
AG
I watched a play through, interesting game.
nomad2007
AG
I watched a streamer play this, and didn't feel as if my experience with the game would have changed had I played it myself.

Looks like a great game, though. Good voice acting, realistic writing, good graphics, etc.
SeattleAgJr
I finished it this evening.

Not too thrilled with the ending. I guess the ending is what it is, but I kind of hoped they had gone with the suggested storyline that took precedence during the 2-3 hours....

Question, was there ever actually a bear in the game? There was the one mission to see bear tracks, but I went off on something else, so not sure if there were tracks to actually see.

jokershady
AG
I was loving the game until the ending. I felt it was a real letdown.....I was hoping for something deep and thought provoking like SOMA because I was getting that same vibe from it throughout the game.
Saxsoon
AG
Soma was pretty disappointing to me in my opinion. Somethings were telegraphed to early and the monsters ended up being more annoying than terrifying
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I was loving the game until the ending. I felt it was a real letdown.....I was hoping for something deep and thought provoking like SOMA because I was getting that same vibe from it throughout the game.
I was not looking for thought provoking. I was just hoping the "mystery" was a bit more.... mysterious/Xfiles ish.
cr0wbar
AG
I really enjoyed it. Beautiful game, the best voice acting since the Uncharted series and TLoU. I got it for ~$17 through being a PS+ member. I'd say took me 3-4 hours to complete. I was also busting it trying to finish the story because I was invested in it. Someone on twitter mentioned turning off the map location setting and it feels really immersive walking and exploring the park. I'll be looking out for any other games Camp Santo puts out.

**Spoilers**

The missing persons / Don and Randy? notes seemed like a curious side quest time thing. But I didnt pay too much heed as far as finding clues. Did any of you guys find any easter eggs? I don't even recall seeing any wildlife playing through it come to think of it.

**End Spoils**
Tex117
AG
I honestly didn't know there was a map indicator. I played through it with just the map and the compass.

As for the ending. I mean, I guess we have all hinted at it so I'll post impressions, I actually really liked the ending.

It really captures what isolation can do to you. Ever go on a long hike? See something weird or something out of place? You make a story about why that is there. Its very human. The ending reflected that.
VonDownByTheRiver
Just wrapped it up, and loved the ending. You can't run away from your problems, everyone sucks at their job, conspiracies aren't real, and no one really knows what they're doing in life. Finally a game gets it.
Tex117
AG
quote:
Just wrapped it up, and loved the ending. You can't run away from your problems, everyone sucks at their job, conspiracies aren't real, and no one really knows what they're doing in life. Finally a game gets it.

^
Yup.

AirplaneAg09
AG
Few days old bump, but I just finished this game myself. I really enjoyed the game and played 99% of it with headphones on in the dark. Parts of the game and music actually gave me the chills which I was not expecting at all. This was my first experience with this type of "walking simulation" game and I thoroughly enjoyed the slower pace and landscapes. I was somewhat bummed at the ending for about an hour after I finished, but the longer I've thought about the game and ending as a whole, the more I've appreciated it.
PatAg
AG
Great game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.