Backup to home network drive

1,116 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hph6203
Medaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi everyone,

I just connected the WD mycloud 4tb drive to my router/network. Everything looks to be working well, all of my computers has local and remote access to the drive.

I bought this to store photos and other imp documents so if my computer HD crashes, I will have it safe.

I tried the Backup program on the WD website, WDSmartWare, but it doesn't seem flexible in terms of where the backup files are placed.

In my network drive, I have a folder for each computer in the house. I would like to buy/download a program that would regularly back up my folders when something new is added to it under the folder assigned to each computer. The WDSmartWare creates a folder that is oddly imbedded. under a WDSmartware folder so it is difficult to tell which folder is from which computer.

Is there such a product or what is the best way to achieve this?

pnut02
AG
I don't believe it automatically copies when there's something new, but you might check out SyncToy (from Microsoft). I can't remember if it does schedules or not.
hph6203
AG
I've never used it, but crash an is free and let's you back up to local network attached storage. It gets recommended all the time.
Tailgate88
AG
^^ He means Crash Plan and while I have never used it it does come highly recommended on this board.

SyncToy can be scheduled using the windows scheduled tasks.

I use a product called Backup4All at many of my clients. They have a free version for home use called FBackup. It will do everything that you're wanting to do.
Medaggie
Thank you,

I will try both. I started with online storage in the past but it takes so long to get everything uploaded or downloaded. Plus all of the intro offers may be cheap but then they jack up the cost so i decided to just do it locally in my house for 200 a drive.

Thanks for the suggestions
CapCity12thMan
AG
I use crashplan to backup to local storage as well. Works great
DAM
AG
Crashplan *****es!!

dam
hph6203
AG
Yes, crash plan, my freaking touch screen typing is an embarrassment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.