Upgraded to El Capitan.. Can't access iPhoto Library in Photos

2,555 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Wife is an Aggie
Wife is an Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife has a macbook pro.

Here are the stats:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.2

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Around Christmas time it asked us if we wanted to upgrade to El Capitan and we selected yes (can't remember the exact version it was on before the upgrade). Come back after it is done and iPhoto is no more and it now runs off the Photos app. Only problem is when we open the Photos app it goes straight to an 'Updating Library' screen and eventually (anywhere from 8-25% complete) tells us there was an unexpected error and forces us to quit. This happens every single time.

Any ideas how we can access our iPhoto library?
TravelAg2004
AG
I'd recommend making a backup of your iPhoto library first before doing anything else. Worst case scenario, someone could open it on an older version of OSX for you.

Here is one How-To on importing the pictures from the old library. May be worth giving it a shot.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/17/move-iphoto-library-to-photos-mac/
An Ag in CO
AG
Does this work?

===

Repair your library
If you experience problems with photos in a library, Photos can try to repair it.
Important: You should back up your photo library before repairing your library.
[ol]
  • If Photos is open, choose Photos > Quit Photos.
  • Press Option-Command and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock).
    The Repair Library window opens.
  • Click Repair to rebuild your photo library.
  • [/ol]
    An Ag in CO
    AG
    Also:

quote:
    You can still use iPhoto is you prefer. iPhoto wasn't deleted from your hard drive. It was just removed from the Dock and is still in the Applications folder.
    Wife is an Aggie
    I am not at home now to try but will tonight. I tried the option button during launch and selected iPhoto library and still had the same problem - but I will try again. I do have it backed up on an external HD so I should alright in terms of not losing anything but wanted to see if I could get it merged easily to begin with first. Thanks for the replies.
    Wife is an Aggie
    quote:
    Also:

quote:
    You can still use iPhoto is you prefer. iPhoto wasn't deleted from your hard drive. It was just removed from the Dock and is still in the Applications folder.

The iPhoto app has a warning type sign over the icon now. When you try to open it a box appears saying that the version if iPhoto is not compatible with El Capitan & you need to search the app store for the latest version.. Click on the download button and once the app store pops up a new box appears saying that it is not available in the US.

Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.