Trouble connecting outside OTA antenna

2,368 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bkag9824
bkag9824
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have cut the Dish cord, and had the thought to use the exiting satellite mount to install an OTA antenna.

5 different inside style antennas didn't work & most likely won't work in attic due to tech shield roof decking, so outside I go.

Took off the LNB pieces at front of dish satellite, and secured the new antenna to the dish arm (antenna linked below).

http://m.lowes.com/pd/RCA-Outdoor-Digital-HDTV-VHF-UHF-Yagi-Type-Antenna/3549244

Used tvfool to find direction of broadcast waves (SE) at 120 or 116 degrees (true & magnetic). Pointed antenna at 115-116.

There are 2 coax cables from dish satellite to a switch on side of house. From switch there is one coax cable into house.

Disconnected the cable into house from dish switch & connected coax from antenna with coax connector splice. Tried scanning for channels using both coax cables at antenna (one at a time).

No dice. What am I missing?
chipotle
Where are you located?
bkag9824
AG
Katy
Ark03
AG
quote:

Disconnected the cable into house from dish switch & connected coax from antenna with coax connector splice. Tried scanning for channels using both coax cables at antenna (one at a time).

No dice. What am I missing?

If I'm reading this right, you are trying to use the existing coax, which goes from one coax cable, through a dish switch, into the house? I'll bet your problem has something to do with that dish switch. Can you bypass the switch and see if your tuner picks up anything?

I think the problem is probably that switch or your tuner - in Houston, you should be getting something for sure.
bkag9824
AG
That's essentially what I've done.

Have disconnected house coax & antenna coax from Dish switch, and connected the two with a F-F coax connector.

I was able to find some channels with the inside antennas, but 0 with the outside.
Ark03
AG
quote:
That's essentially what I've done.

Have disconnected house coax & antenna coax from Dish switch, and connected the two with a F-F coax connector.

I was able to find some channels with the inside antennas, but 0 with the outside.
So the loss you are getting from the outside antenna, through the coax in your house is resulting in zero channels. I'd get a short piece of coax, plug your TV into your outside antenna (in the house or out a window), and see what you get. If that gives you some signals, it tells you that you either have bad coax or a very weak signal coming from that antenna.

You could add an amplifier at the antenna if the latter is true, but if you have really bad coax you may just need to run new cable.

If you don't get any signals using that new antenna with one short piece of coax, you could experiment with pointing it different ways, or maybe the antenna is just bad.
AggieGunslinger
AG
If the dish was working before you cut the cable then the cable is probably fine, BUT from my experience OTA is much more suspetable to degradation due to splitting (I think this is your switch) and long cable runs. You might try to run it through an amplfied splitter, that is how mine is setup with my Mohu Sky 60. I get better than satellite pictures quality on all 4 major networks though it does seem that ABC pixelates a bit.

I don't watch a lot of Blu Ray or DVDs and forgot how good an uncompressed picture signal could look.

For the record my Dish install used a powered splitter and it did not work with my OTA at all and I had to get a different one.
bkag9824
AG
quote:
If the dish was working before you cut the cable then the cable is probably fine, BUT from my experience OTA is much more suspetable to degradation due to splitting (I think this is your switch) and long cable runs. You might try to run it through an amplfied splitter, that is how mine is setup with my Mohu Sky 60. I get better than satellite pictures quality on all 4 major networks though it does seem that ABC pixelates a bit.

I don't watch a lot of Blu Ray or DVDs and forgot how good an uncompressed picture signal could look.

Thanks - have a link to the amplifier you used?
AggieGunslinger
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EKCGT8/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not even sure it is the best one to use, frankly it was a last minute add on due to Amazon mentioning that a lot of people bought it with their Sky 60s.
aggielax48
AG
May be a dumb question but does your TV have an ATSC tuner?
Ark03
AG
quote:
May be a dumb question but does your TV have an ATSC tuner?
The OP said he was able to find some channels with the inside antennas, but none using the outside - if he is seeing channels at all, his tuner is (or at least was) working.

It's got to be the coax or maybe a bad connection on the new outdoor antenna, but either should be easy to check.
bkag9824
AG
The coax should be fine as it was working for the satellite immediately before trying to hook up the antenna.

Thinking an amplifier will fix the issue due to long coax runs. Have one on order & will test it tomorrow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.