iOS & the Delete Key

6,518 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Really???
AggieHank86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can ANYONE tell me why iOS devices do not have a "delete" key?

Yes, the "backspace" is available, but there exist several instances in which a "delete" button would be far, far more useful.

Thoughts?
rynning
AG
Not sure what you mean. There is a delete key on the portrait keyboard and a delete key + forward and backward keys on the landscape keyboard.
AggieHank86
AG
I do not see it, and I think that you are referencing the "backspace" key.

On my iPad, the backspace is located at the top-right of the keyboard, both portrait and landscape. On my iPhone, the backspace is located at the far-right of the second row from the bottom on both portrait and landscape. The left and right arrow buttons also appear here (but NOT on the iPad, oddly enough).

Neither device shows a delete key in either configuration.

I have run google on the issue, and I find dozens of instances saying "it does not exist." (Example from Apple discussion board) I find no one who says "why."

Every PC-style keyboard on the planet has this button. Apple keyboards do not. If I am missing it, please tell me where you see it.

This is actually NOT an academic question. On TexAgs, I like to prune embedded quotes to keep posts from getting too long. Often, you end up with a line-break between two Quote codes. If you try to backspace to delete with an iOS device, you cannot get rid of the line break without deleting one of the Quote codes. When I try to do the very same thing on my PC, it is a simple matter of placing the cursor on the line break and hitting the "delete" key.
aTm2004
AG
See the arrow keys? Use those.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
See the arrow keys? Use those.
That works only if on iPhone (not iPad) and only in landscape (not portrait) mode.

But, again, that is not my question.

I am simply asking if anyone knows why Apple refuses to provide a delete key.
aTm2004
AG
Probably because Apple is about Beijing minimal and a delete key is really unnecessary. I asked that as well when I got my Macbook, but don't miss it now.
rynning
AG
Sorry, still don't get it. I googled "macbook keyboard image" and saw this among many others:

There's a delete key. Are you talking about another key?
aTm2004
AG
It's really a backspace key. OP wants to delete from left to right like Windows.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
It's really a backspace key. OP wants to delete from left to right like Windows.
Correct, though it would be more accurate to say "like every computer on the planet that is not an Apple."
TexAg2016
AG
On Macs, you hold Fn and press delete, and it will delete the character to the right of the cursor. Just FYI...
kb2001
AG
I've used a Mac at work for a little over a year, and the absence of a Delete key is frustrating. Yes, there is a key called "Delete", but it works like a backspace, not a delete. Every other computer has this, just not Apple. I guess this common and standard function would ruin the aesthetics so they had to exclude it. It's almost as stupid as the one button mouse
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
On Macs, you hold Fn and press delete, and it will delete the character to the right of the cursor. Just FYI...
I learned that while researching the problem that I asked about. If I had any desire to own an Apple desktop or laptop, I suppose I would need to deal with that poor design as well.

As is, my wife wanted the whole family to have the same phones and tablets (for FaceTime primarily), so I DO have to deal with this poor design on phone and tablet.
PooDoo
AG
If it's that big of a deal don't let your wife pick out your phones.
hph6203
AG
Do Android devices have a delete key?

I don't understand the point of this thread other than general complaining, which is probably better suited for Twitter.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Can ANYONE tell me why iOS devices do not have a "delete" key?

Yes, the "backspace" is available, but there exist several instances in which a "delete" button would be far, far more useful.

Thoughts?

Who cares?
Al Bula
AG
Why doesn't iOS have the Windows start button?
TexasRebel
AG
Don't make mistakes!
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:
I learned that while researching the problem that I asked about. If I had any desire to own an Apple desktop or laptop, I suppose I would need to deal with that poor design as well.

As is, my wife wanted the whole family to have the same phones and tablets (for FaceTime primarily), so I DO have to deal with this poor design on phone and tablet.

Sounds like you have a problem with who runs things in your family.
GigEmAgs14
AG
TexAg2016
AG
If you're choosing your phones or your computers based on their possession of a key that lets you delete characters without the daunting task of moving a cursor, then I don't think any technology company will be missing your large share of their business.
Dumpster Fire
I see both delete keys on my mac keyboard here:

And also now realize, I need to clean my freaking keyboard.
boboguitar
AG

trying to find the delete key on the android keyboard
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
If you're choosing your phones or your computers based on their possession of a key that lets you delete characters without the daunting task of moving a cursor, then I don't think any technology company will be missing your large share of their business.
If that is your take, you do not understand the issue well-enough to be posting.

First, the only way to move the cursor on an iPad (because it lacks left- and right-arrow keys in both the landscape and portait formats) is the rather tedious task of getting the touchpad to move the cursor to the spot you want. It is less than efficient. But "yes," it is possible to get the cursor to the point in question ... eventually.

That is NOT the problem I face. As clearly posted above, using the backspace on an iPad DOES NOT WORK correctly when working within the quote codes on this forum, because it also deletes the hidden quote code. (Oddly, the quote codes are visible on the iPhone, which negates the problem, but hidden on the iPad).

Anyway, y'all can criticize me to your heart's content. I just wanted to know whether anyone knew Apple's reasoning in providing only a backspace key and not a delete key.

Apparently, no one here knows the answer either. Thanks.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
quote:
If that is your take, you do not understand the issue well-enough to be posting.

First, the only way to move the cursor on an iPad (because it lacks left- and right-arrow keys in both the landscape and portait formats) is the rather tedious task of getting the touchpad to move the cursor to the spot you want. It is less than efficient. But "yes," it is possible to get the cursor to the point in question ... eventually.

That is NOT the problem I face. As clearly posted above, using the backspace on an iPad DOES NOT WORK correctly when working within the quote codes on this forum, because it also deletes the hidden quote code. (Oddly, the quote codes are visible on the iPhone, but hidden on the iPad).

Anyway, y'all can criticize me to your heart's content. I just wanted to know whether anyone knew Apple's reasoning in providing only a backspace key and not a delete key.

Apparently, no one here knows the answer either. Thanks.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I see both delete keys on my mac keyboard here:

And also now realize, I need to clean my freaking keyboard.
Thanks, but I do not believe that your Mac is an "iOS device." If I ever buy a Mac, I will look for this keyboard.
boboguitar
AG
ipad keyboard with left and right arrows

boboguitar
AG
I've noticed that Android devices do not come with a full functioning mouse. Does anyone know WHY they make such a stupid design choice?
aTm2004
AG
I have this for my iPad...works great

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Devices-iPhone/dp/B005EOWBKE#immersive-view_1455032917488
GigEmAgs14
AG
I would suggest deleting this thread but you do not have a delete key so nevermind
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
I've noticed that Android devices do not come with a full functioning mouse. Does anyone know WHY they make such a stupid design choice?
lol
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
ipad keyboard with left and right arrows

Another nice add-on. I actually have a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad, but I only carry it when I know I will be doing heavy typing. Much more cumbersome that just the basic protective case.

Just out of curiosity, is this Forum always so polite and "friendly?"

I started a thread simply to ask if anyone knew Apple's thought process on excluding this button. A few posters did not seem to understand the question, and a number of the posts were nice efforts to help find a work-around, but more than half of the posts are attacks. Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

EDIT:

If anyone is curious about this question, I may have found the answer. I went back and looked at the old 83-key keyboard that came with the IBM PC-XT back in the early 1980s, and it DOES NOT include a delete key ... only the backspace. (I had obviously forgotten this, but I WAS in high school at the time).

The Apple II-plus also DID NOT have a delete key.

Of course, back then WYSIWYG was not yet common, and everything basically got typed at the command prompt. Backing up and re-typing a few characters was not a big deal.

IBM (and other PC-type manufacturers) did not add the delete key until the 101-key board, which seems to have become available in the mid-1980s, as DOS software was improving..

Apparently, it was not a matter of Apple removing that feature. They just never ADDED that feature when IBM and its little brothers did so.

I find it interesting. Obviously, many others do not.
kb2001
AG
AggieHank- You are not allowed to criticize Apple in any way on here. Any flaw you may perceive is your own failing, because Apple redefines perfection with every release. If a feature is missing, it's because that feature isn't truly needed. If you believe you need this feature, then you don't understand how this is supposed to work

"Quit complaining about a key that isn't needed, you can purchase a keyboard for $100 and haul it around everywhere instead. If that isn't good enough then the problem is you"
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
If it's that big of a deal don't let your wife pick out your phones.
It is nice to be able to FaceTime with my little girls. They are not old enough to learn something like Skype. FaceTime is easy for them.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I build my computers myself, so I get exactly what I want. A bit more work, but more long-term satisfaction.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
AggieHank- You are not allowed to criticize Apple in any way on here. Any flaw you may perceive is your own failing, because Apple redefines perfection with every release. If a feature is missing, it's because that feature isn't truly needed. If you believe you need this feature, then you don't understand how this is supposed to work

"Quit complaining about a key that isn't needed, you can purchase a keyboard for $100 and haul it around everywhere instead. If that isn't good enough then the problem is you"
There is plenty to criticize apple with.

This isn't one of those things.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.