Apple screwing iPhone 6 users...

4,995 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bregxit
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://nhv.us/content/16024213-apple-faces-customer-backlash-error-53-renders-iphone-6-useless

Apparently, if you had your iPhone 6 repaired by someone other than an Apple service technician or Apple authorized repair center, upgrading to iOS9 could permanently lock and disable your phone with Error 53. There's no reset or downgrade that will fix it. Apple knew about Error 53 before iOS9 was released, but they didn't tell users who now have to go to Apple for out of warranty repairs.

Error 53 is caused when iOS9 can't validate the Touch ID module on the phone matches everything else on the phone. It could be caused by Touch ID module replacement or screen repairs.
Bregxit
AG
I understand why Apple put that in however there should have been some huge warning with the iOS 9 upgrade.
EMY92
AG
That really screws people in rural areas. From Waco, the nearest authorized service center is about 90 miles away. It's similar if you're in BCS, the nearest centers are in Houston or Austin. I bet there are some western states without a service center.

Sentinel
AG
You either want security or you don't. Can't have it both ways.
LostInLA07
AG
quote:
That really screws people in rural areas. From Waco, the nearest authorized service center is about 90 miles away. It's similar if you're in BCS, the nearest centers are in Houston or Austin. I bet there are some western states without a service center.

Apple should offer free loaner devices if they don't have an authorized service center within a reasonable distance from your home.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:

Instead of bricking the phone apple could have just disabled the Apple pay feature
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:

Instead of bricking the phone apple could have just disabled the Apple pay feature

Touch ID does way more than Apple Pay.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Touch ID does way more than Apple Pay.

Apple is saying they are doing it because of Apple Pay.
DayAg!
S
Is it just me or does Apple really stink.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Whatever the reason, you might want to warn people before intentionally bricking their phone and then presumably billing them to fix it. Sounds like as much of a play to shut down a secondary repair market as to institute a security measure.
LOYAL AG
AG
Remember the very first Mac commercial? You know, the ones that railed against Big Brother with clips from "1984" and how controlling the world had become? Yeah, that's Apple today.

ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Remember the very first Mac commercial? You know, the ones that railed against Big Brother with clips from "1984" and how controlling the world had become? Yeah, that's Apple today.

I was actually thinking this exact same thing last week. I was talking with a younger coworker about Apple's devices, how locked down they are, and how you get the experience that Apple wants you to have and referenced this commercial. He had no idea what I was talking about until I showed him. It's incredibly ironic in this day and age.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Remember the very first Mac commercial? You know, the ones that railed against Big Brother with clips
I was at Mac Resources in College Station last week, grumbling about the same thing to the guys who work there. They did not disagree.
millertyme
AG
quote:
Is it just me or does Apple really stink.
Yep. And the sheeple will be in line the morning the iPhone 7 comes out
LOYAL AG
AG
A buddy of mine who is very IT savvy put it well:

Microsoft has cornered the market on business IT.
Google has cornered the market on cost conscious personal gear.
Apple has cornered the market on overpriced designer personal gear.

Not a perfect breakdown as Google does have some really expensive personal gear but still a pretty good analysis of the market. Apple's reputation is that it's easy to use and the only way to do that is to tightly control what you can do with it. I personally enjoy the flexibility of Android and love the widgets available. Once AT&T can figure out WIFI calling I'll be perfect.
Cloud
Yup Apple really stinks. It sucks being able to take your phone to an Apple Store for nearly any issue and likely walk out with a brand new phone.

Remind me where you can get this kind of service on the android side.
Cloud
quote:
A buddy of mine who is very IT savvy put it well:

Microsoft has cornered the market on business IT.

Not a perfect breakdown as Google does have some really expensive personal gear but still a pretty good analysis of the market. Apple's reputation is that it's easy to use and the only way to do that is to tightly control what you can do with it. I personally enjoy the flexibility of Android and love the widgets available. Once AT&T can figure out WIFI calling I'll be perfect.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2998315/apple-mac/every-mac-we-buy-is-making-and-saving-ibm-money-ibm.html
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Yup Apple really stinks. It sucks being able to take your phone to an Apple Store for nearly any issue and likely walk out with a brand new phone.

For the margins they're getting they should be able to do that.

Nobody said Apple was a bad company. I said they have become extremely controlling of how you do what you do. At a minimum you have to admit that's ironic given how they started.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
Except Google really doesn't make any personal gear. There are tons of lower priced/free/BOGO Android phones on the market. None of them are sold by Google.
Ag03 CQE
AG
quote:

Apple doesn't just give away new iPhones if they don't have to. The Apple store will either fix it or replace it with a refurbished iPhone. The only way you're getting a new iPhone is if a refurb isn't available.

I can't speak for other carriers, but the AT&T corporate stores (the bigger ones anyway) provide the same service for Android phones. Of course I've never needed to replace an Android phone.
Really???
Google doesn't give a flip about selling hardware. They aren't a hardware company.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
If it was overpriced, folks would stop buying it. It is priced at exactly what a certain segment of the market is willing to pay.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Google doesn't give a flip about selling hardware. They aren't a hardware company.

So you think Google doesn't give a flip about their partners? The next generation of Android doesn't come out without new hardware to run it on. Hardware becomes obsolete.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
quote:

So you think Google doesn't give a flip about their partners? The next generation of Android doesn't come out without new hardware to run it on. Hardware becomes obsolete.

I think Google doesn't really give a rats ass about their partners except to the extent they use Google apps like maps and search for click throughs. They are an advertising company wrapped around a bunch of smaller units. The fact that Bezos forked Android and Amazon as a result goes around basic Google app functionality to serve his own kingdom and is in direct competition with Google is ironic to say the least.
Cloud
quote:
Of course I've never needed to replace an Android phone.

I don't think you want to get into a reliability war between the two.
Really???
quote:
quote:

Google wants their services used regardless of the platform. It's nuts to say they've cornered the market on cost-conscious devices when they don't MAKE the low-end Android phones.

You say the next generation of Android won't exist without hardware as if Samsung, Lenovo, and Huawei are just going to up and stop manufacturing phones outside of the Nexus line.

Phone manufacturing is not Google's business model.
LOYAL AG
AG
Oh. My. God. Some of you are as literal as anyone I've ever known.

The Android platform is what I was referring to, not Google as a company. In fact I originally typed Android but of course that's a product of Google's and not a company so I went with the company name expecting it to be understood that Google has done this vis a vis the Android platform. Apparently that was a bad assumption. The Android platform owns the low cost hardware market, a market nobody else even really tries to compete in. Better?

Also please forgive me for calling Apple overpriced. Even I'm willing to admit that wasn't the right word. They have cornered the market on high priced designer gear, not overpriced gear.

EMY92
AG
quote:

That's real convenient if you don't live in a major metro area. If you live in Lubbock, it's only a 6 hour drive to El Paso or DFW to find an Apple Store.

There are several states without Apple Stores, I'm sure that you can find some people that would have to drive 750 miles to their closest Apple Store.

BTW, I've never seen an Apple Store, but I know with Samsung, most Best Buys can take care of anything for you. There are many more Best Buy locations than Apple Stores.
rynning
AG
I noticed "overpriced" vs. "cost conscious" instead of "high end" vs. "cheap". I'm just glad folks have a choice. But your point is valid - Apple and Google own the market.

And I seriously doubt that Apple did it to increase their repair business. I think it's more to do with their ongoing efforts to make their phones incredibly secure and keep user data private, the Feds be damned. Of course they should have warned users of the new fingerprint sensor protection, and it was stupid not to.
Ag03 CQE
AG
quote:
quote:

Of course not. I'm not a fanboy and the type of phone someone likes has no effect on my life whatsoever. But in my personal experience with both Apple and (high-end) Android phones, the Androids have been relatively trouble free while the iPhones tended to have issues.
kb2001
AG
quote:
If you want security, disable the fingerprint reader, it is horribly insecure. I'm not talking about Apple's implementation, I'm talking about using a fingerprint as a password
The Fife
quote:
quote:
Except Google really doesn't make any personal gear. There are tons of lower priced/free/BOGO Android phones on the market. None of them are sold by Google.
... Posted from my Nexus 5.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
... Posted from my Nexus 5.

I hate to do this on a thread where virtually everything I've said was parsed to death but LG actually makes the Nexus 5. Google owns the Nexus brand but hasn't actually made any hardware itself under that name. I'm with you, I thought they were as well until I started researching for this thread.
Longstreet
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course not. I'm not a fanboy and the type of phone someone likes has no effect on my life whatsoever. But in my personal experience with both Apple and (high-end) Android phones, the Androids have been relatively trouble free while the iPhones tended to have issues.
Yep. The 4s that I use at work will for no reason at all turn the volume up or down. I've missed calls because of it. I have to constantly check the damn thing during the day to make sure the volume is up. I can turn it up, set it on the table, and after a bit look at it and the volume is all the way down.

Good thing vibrate still works.
LostInLA07
AG
I'm convinced the iPhone is programmed to self destruct around 2 years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.