Amazon DOTD: Beats Powerbeats Headphones

2,428 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bregxit
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fellow Nerds, I have no idea if these are good or if this is a good deal but since headphones come up fairly regularly as a topic, I figured I would share.

Beats Powerbeats Headphones (Certified Refurb)
Reg: $149.99
DOTD Price: $59.99
Prime0882
AG
I would argue to save your money and buy another brand that might be more durable.

I regret buying a pair of their wireless sports headphones as they barely lasted six months of just normal gym/threadmill time. This won't surprise anyone, but the whole Beats line of headphones are overpriced and have a lot of added weight just to try to feel like they're a quality item.

My pair has the cover to the inline volume changer fall off about three months in... and then in the end it just stopped syncing with my ipod.
Bregxit
AG
Soooooooo, any suggestions? Or just "Beats suck"?

I'm not in the market for headphones btw.
keysercade
AG
Sennheiser
Prime0882
AG
quote:

I really don't... guess I'm just being a negative nancy in this thread since the disappointment from the pair of Beats that I bought is still fresh.

I just bought a pair of these this week to replace the Beats: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W8LYOY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The cord noise that some reviewers talk about is kind of noticeable and they seem a little small to fit in my big ears... the cord is a lot thinner than I expected too, even though it has a braided mesh around it, and makes me wonder if one accidental yank could destroy them. They don't sound too bad, though! The noise cancellation is pretty good too, but I would worry about wearing them outside running or on a bike since I really can't hear much of anything else with them on.
StringerBell
AG
I have a pair of plantronic backbeat fits that I like
jr15aggie
AG
Nm
Reginald Cousins
S
Like my Audio Technica ATH-S700BT wireless set. Nice. Very light. Good sound. Affordable.
cr0wbar
AG
I for one have had a pair of these Power Beats for about 1 year + and enjoy them. I use them primarily for working out and also when I mow the lawn. They fit snugly in my ear- and are comfortable for the 1-2 hours that I keep them in.

Telephone sound quality is very good as well. $60 is a very reasonable price for these if you're in the market.

edit: reading some of these refurb reviews- some people are getting earwax in the buds, and wires. I'd still take the gamble, and if not send them on back to Amazon if they aren't totally up to par.
Stasco
AG
quote:

They would be an okay deal at $20. Otherwise pass.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
quote:

They would be an okay deal at $20. Otherwise pass.
Agree completely.

This deal is not a "steal" if you are not in the market. If it were $20 I'd say sure. Snatch them.

The price tier to me has always been odd to me personally. I would consider these mid range price wise.

Most people either care about their headphones or don't. (People who buy beats don't count since they are simply branding. They are NOT worth full price).

IMO if someone is willing to spend $150+ on a pair of headphones that means you should somewhat have some skin in the audiophile world. And if you are willing to spend that you might as well just go ahead and double it and start getting into the upper level stuff of headphones. Even if you have to save a couple of more paychecks.

I used Sennheiser for years and loved them(still do for the price point). But for serious audio work and if I were willing to spend some money I would look at recording grade stuff. I saved for three months and got me a nice set of in ear monitors. Expensive sure but worth every penny. Same for over ear headphones.

Beats just does not compete quality wise with it's price peers. Most people I know who have them would be just as happy with some $20 skullcandy.

Ok that is my snooty rant of the day. Carry on!
Comeby!
AG
My cousin is the VP of QC at Harmon and he can't believe what people pay for 'inferior' Beats headphones.
Bregxit
AG
Hahaha! There were no reviews when I posted that link. 10/13 there now are 1-star. Wow!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.