Compact laptop recommendations?

1,853 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
Jason_Ag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a compact laptop to use for light computing tasks (web browsing, email,etc. - no gaming). Portability is the main factor as I'd like it to be easy to carry to the coffee shop, at a conference, etc. I already have other machines for times when I need more screen real estate or processor power.

I'm thinking about something in the ~12" range. I was initially looking at Chromebooks but it seems like there is not much difference in price between those and a Windows 10 machine at this point, so maybe it's better to go with the full Windows OS?

Any specific recommendations? I guess I'd be willing to go up to ~$400 or so if needed but I feel like I could get something cheaper than that for my requirements.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I have been using this ~$400 Dell 11.6" and like it for light and portable work.

Dell Inspiron 11.6"

I also considered this HP Pavilion 11.6" ~$430
Hp Pavilion 11.6"

EDIT: HP has an Ethernet port which I do wish the Dell had for the rare occasion I need it.
The Dog Lord
AG
I love my Surface 3 for its portability. I was replacing an iPad that I only somewhat used for non-serious tasks and ended up replacing my general use laptop too. I use it a ton at work now too. I had never carried a device or laptop before because of the portability hassle. It's probably more expensive than what you want to spend though.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
quote:
I love my Surface 3 for its portability. I was replacing an iPad that I only somewhat used for non-serious tasks and ended up replacing my general use laptop too. I use it a ton at work now too. I had never carried a device or laptop before because of the portability hassle. It's probably more expensive than what you want to spend though.
I have a surface 3 also, a very nice device, but I made the mistake of going cheap and only having 2GB of RAM kept me from running an application that I really needed to be able to run.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Surface 3 @ $400

* Keep in mind what I said above about limited memory.
Still a great device if it fits your needs and a keyboard will cost another ~$100.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
I have a surface 3 also, a very nice device, but I made the mistake of going cheap and only having 2GB of RAM kept me from running an application that I really needed to be able to run.
Yeah, I went for the 4GB model since it was only $100 more. I haven't had any problems with it so far although I rarely use anything too demanding. Photoshop and streaming video are probably the highest demand things I do. I do like to leave a lot of tabs and documents open though, and it doesn't seem to matter.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Thanks for the Surface 3 suggestions. Do you use the keyboard cover? How well does that work? What's the battery life like?
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Thanks for the Surface 3 suggestions. Do you use the keyboard cover? How well does that work? What's the battery life like?
I definitely use the keyboard. It was one of the primary reasons why I chose it. I don't use it as my sole cover though since it wouldn't protect the back. I bought this cover off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1OQVP6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00.

It was actually pretty cheap and has worked well. I like that it provides a flat surface for using it on my lap or in other positions where the kickstand might not offer the most stability. It has built in grooves to secure it but also allows you to use the kickstand too if needed. The only drawback is that any case will add some bulk (although not much).

Battery is pretty decent I think and comparable to most laptops I bet. I can't remember exactly how much. I keep meaning to test it, but I want to do one test of purely work/general online usage and a separate test related to video streaming. Right now I mix those activities quite a bit. I mostly use it in the evenings for a few hours at a time and only charge it every few days.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Dell Inspiron as above is now $280

• 11.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Touch Display with Wide Viewing Angle (IPS) [HDT]
  • Intel Pentium N3700 [Intel Pentium Processor N3700 (2M Cache, up to 2.40 GHz)] [P02DF6]
  • 4GB DDR3L 1333MHz (4GBx1) [4G1D3L]
  • 500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive [500G54]
  • Intel HD Graphics []
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 + Bluetooth 4.0 [3165]
  • 1 x HDMI
  • 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
  • 1 x combo headphone / microphone Jack
  • Height: 0.76" (19.4mm) Width: 11.81" (300mm) Depth: 7.89" (201mm)

Agmechanic
AG
Damn. I dont need one but for that
Price i might
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Refurbished Surface 3 w/ 4GB RAM and 128GB HD $420
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.