***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

91,944 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by BQRyno
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't seen any chatter about boardgames on this forum before, but I figured there has to be people on here who enjoy them. What games do y'all like? Not like? What are you interested in trying? What upcoming games are you looking forward to?

Personally, I enjoy games that match good mechanics with good theme. A game without much theme kind of leaves me cold. I finally tried Agricola recently, and confirmed that the theme of being a subsistence farmer really didn't do much for me. On the other hand, I enjoy Lords of Waterdeep, which is also a worker placement game, but has a D&D theme. And actually, I think they could do more with that theme than they have. I would have liked some D&D meeples instead of the cubes that the game uses, for one thing.

I'm very intrigued by this development of "Legacy" games that change over the course of several sessions. Risk Legacy was the first of this particular series, and now Pandemic Legacy is the new hotness. I've never played Pandemic, so I'm very interested in checking it out and seeing if I should try out the Legacy version.

I see where some folks are looking forward to an upcoming game, Gloomhaven, that takes inspiration from the Legacy mechanics and applies it to one of these RPGish boardgames to evolve things over many play sessions. It had a successful Kickstarter and is due out next year.

So what about y'all?
mid90
AG
When I'm home with my family, the six of us play Game of Thrones the boardgame. Loads of fun, but by the end of the night we're all ready for it to end. We call it "Game of Moans".
rynning
AG
Catan
Mr.KyleReed
AG
would dominoes or any game involving dominoes (chickenfoot/Mexican train, 42..) be considered a "board game"?
DanHo2010
AG
One of my friends described Agricola as "It's fun, but when it's over I feel like I just took a really hard math test."

Personally I like Puerto Rico and Age Of Empires III: Board Game.
ziggity06
Ticket to Ride
Camel up
Castles of mad king Ludwig
Pandemic
Smallworld
Shadow Hunters
Formula D
Sushi go
Forbidden island
Bananagrams
Are all fun
Eliminatus
AG
Love boardgames. Some of my favorites are Descent, Shadows over camelot, Castles of burgundy, and several deck builders/LCGs. For more social games I love Pandemic and Ticket to ride. great gateway games.

I got Twilight Imperium 3 and have yet to play it. Very intimidating and have yet been able to find enough people willing to sit down and learn with me. It is quite the commitment though...

I have been on the fence about Eldritch Horror. Seems really good. ANyone else play it yet?
jbryan10
AG
Powergrid
Pandemic
Acquire

Are all very good
Line Ate Member
AG
Big board game fan here. A buddy of mine got me hooked on them in college. My all time favorites are Catan, Pandemic, Dominion (if you want a quick game that changes based on the cards drawn/selected), Puerto Rico, Carcassone, and Ticket to Ride. Love Letter is a fun quick game as well.Those are at least the games I can get my wife to play.

Some of the real nerdy games that I enjoy would be Smallworld, Space Invaders, Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill, and Game of Thrones. The first time we played GoT took about 6 hours to play. We didn't know what the heck we were doing.
Kampfers
AG
Love Catan.

Anyone here ever play Diplomacy? Probably my favorite game. But never enough (people/time) to play it.
Pman17
AG
last I played was Forbidden Island, thought that was cool.

Read up on that Exploding kittens game but haven't bought it or played.

Been wanting to have board game nights with friends but schedules don't seem to line up well. I'm hoping I'll be able to go to PAX South again. I have tickets and currently off that time unless something changes. Had fun playing card games with the TexAgs Nerdery members.

Got a full shelf of small card games in my apartment now including my roommates card games and of course, our Magic Card collections we rarely play but sometimes hoard.
Line Ate Member
AG
Exploding Kittens is both fun and hilarious.
ramblin_ag02
AG
We play a lot with friends when we can. All time favorite is still Cosmic Encounter. Our recent fascination is all the Legendary-type deck building games.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenTheGoodAg
AG

Such a fun game with 5-7 people. Similar to mafia.
kill0509
AG
I see your original Bang! and raise you a Walking Dead version of Bang! When you die in the Walking Dead version, you come back as a walker and then try to win the game by having a majority of the table become walkers. Keeps the game interesting even after your main character was killed!!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
That sounds awesome!
ABKitch
AG
This topic is soooo 2011...
ABKitch
AG
I didn't see anyone mention it here yet, but in the other thread someone mentioned the game Talisman.

My high school friends and I played that one into the wee hours of the night many years ago, and a few years ago my best friend bought it for me. Fun gift and all, but I don't find myself spending time with enough nerds these days to play a game like that...haha.

I've played Apples to Apples as an "adult" and it was fun.
Vade281
AG
I've been playing it online with friends. I hate and love it at the same time. I think we should start a Texags game on www.playdiplomacy.com
Fleff
AG
Having fun with Mice and Mystics right now. It is a mini figure RPG-like game. My group consists of my wife and 5 year old son, so it is difficult finding games I can enjoy that he can play. This one fits, he needs help with strategy but loves playing it
Cancelled
AG
We enjoy the ticket to ride games. I indulge my inner nerd with these games.
heddleston
AG
quote:
I'm very intrigued by this development of "Legacy" games that change over the course of several sessions. Risk Legacy was the first of this particular series, and now Pandemic Legacy is the new hotness. I've never played Pandemic, so I'm very interested in checking it out and seeing if I should try out the Legacy version.

Pandemic is phenomenal, me and some buddies got together once a week for months playing it. Definitely check it out before buying Legacy though. There's iOS and Android versions of it. The big thing with the Legacy games is that not only do you need to like it, you need to have 3 friends who do too and will want to play a bunch.

Ticket To Ride is great, i have the US, double sided India/Switzerland, and the Africa boards for it. My wife and I play on the app when we travel and its awesome.
Some games I havent seen mentioned yet that I like:

Splendor - Get gems to buy cards that give you points and more gems! first to 15 points wins!
Patchwork - a quilting themed boardgame may sound like the dumbest thing ever, but wait! Imagine Tetris being played 1 on 1 where youre fighting over the same pieces that you both need to fill out your individual boards as much as possible before the game ends!
7 Wonders - like Sushi Go, but more in depth
Coup - bluff and call other bluffs as you eliminate your opponents systematically and take over
AcctAg11
AG
7 Wonders is my current favorite

Ticket to Ride is one my wife really likes and is pretty fun.

Risk Legacy is an awesome game for Risk fans. Its a board game with spoilers in it, meant for multiple play throughs with the same group.
heddleston
AG
Lets also talk expansions:

If you like Catan but haven't looked into the expansions, do it. Do you want just a few extra little wrinkles added in here and there? Traders and Barbarians. You want to have hidden territories you have to seek out and settle? Seafarers. You want to make it way deeper and more strategic? Cities and Knights. You want to complicate the hell out of it? Explorers and Pirates.

For Ticket to Ride, if you don't think you'd ever buy expansions for it: get Europe. If you want something for just 2-3 players(europe and usa play best with 4-5) then get Nordic Countries. USA, while i love it, is a broken game without the 1910 expansion. That said, I love the expansion and the bigger cards that come with it.

Pandemic has awesome expansions for it. I would recommend playing the base a bunch first (tried for weeks to beat it on Legendary), but the On The Brink expansion has been awesome. More player roles, more event cards, a purple mutated disease, and a BIOTERRORIST role! also you get awesome looking petri dishes to put the disease cube in. I havent played the In The Lab expansion, but i hear it's loads of fun as well and makes the finding a cure way more involved and suspenseful or somesuch.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Ticket to Ride is great. Once you've got it down Ticket to Ride Europe is even better. I highly recommend starting w/the standard US map however. It's very simple to learn. The European map adds a few things. We only play European now, but we appreciate it more after learning on the US map.

I have GoT. Tried to play it once with friends but nobody else in the group had the patience to learn it. Looks like I'm going to have to hole up and learn the damn thing so that I can teach others without them having to wait while we read the book.

Pandemic is great.

I also have Tammany Hall. It looks like it'll be awesome but we haven't learned to play it yet.
Max Power
AG
Cones of Dunshire, anyone?
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Cones of Dunshire, anyone?

Googled that earlier this week after seeing references to it everywhere.
heddleston
AG
some guys tried to make it and do a kickstarter for it, but it was ridiculously expensive. so many parts and so convoluted (as it was meant to be on P&R), it never even got close to getting funded if i remember correctly
heddleston
AG
another game i just got in the mail but haven't had a chance to break out yet is Arboretum. Beautiful looking cards, would totally buy a 52 card deck in a heartbeat if they looked that cool and were of that nice of quality. strategic card game where you lay down cards butbhang on to some in order to earn the right to score points for different tree types at the end. been hard to find, dont pay more than 20 bucks though (seen it on amazon for 35+).

also, shutupandsitdown.com (boardgame reviewers) just updated their alltime top 50 list. obviously different strokes for different folks and stuff, but Pandemic Legacy took the #1 slot. buy the android app. play it a few times with a friend. if you like it and enjoy the coop aspect, get Legacy. i want it so bad but my friends and wife are kinda burnt out on pandemic and i just got a bunch of new games for my birthday and dont know when all of them will hit the table.
DanHo2010
AG
Have yall played Superfight? Looks entertaining: http://amzn.com/B00E5QL2AC
bangobango
AG
got a hankering for Heroes Questvand found out it was out of print. Did some research and Descent came up as the current game the most similar. Been playing that with my wife and kids and having a blast.

Santa is bringing Mice and Mystics. Looking forward to working with my family instead of against them once that bad boybcomes out from under the tree.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
Have yall played Superfight?
I've played the full version with friends and the Loot Crate version with my kids. It's a blast. My kids are usually up for that or Apples to Apples, but they don't like other games. It's directed imagination, so it scales easily to different ages.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Halibut
AG
A few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Greed - What if monopoly was a fun game? What if it had more mechanics than just rolling dice and hoping you have enough money to buy whatever property you happen to land on? Also, it doesn't take 4 hours to play, and it won't end with broken friendships (probably).
Codenames - Kind of a word association game. Good in large and small groups. Really hard to find right now.
Eldritch Horror - This is a really cool co-op game, but it is also really complicated and takes a long time to play. Probably my favorite co-op game at the moment, but you will need to play it 4-5 times to fully understand all the rules.

Also, if you like the RPing of D&D, but don't like the focus on combat mechanics, you could try Dungeon World. It's more about story/world-building and RP. All the material you need to play costs around $20.
Halibut
AG
Also, if Catan has gotten old, spice it up by using this 1 weird trick: Take a drink for every card you get. Everyone take a shot on a 7.
Bryan98
AG
I had Codenames on my Amazon wish list but the price has been inflated by its current scarcity, so I took it off. Same thing with Mysterium.

I would love to play Eldritch Horror some time. I own an unplayed copy of Arkham Horror, actually. Seems very complicated and apparently, it's quite long. I'm not sure I've got folks who want to play a game as long as that. Heck, I'm not sure I'M a folk who wants to play a game as long as that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.