Splitter/adapter for dual monitors from laptop?

952 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by chris1515
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At work I have a dual monitor setup and I am trying to replicate that at home from my laptop.

What kind of adapter/splitter do I need to get this to work?

The vga splitters I've found on Amazon indicate that they will only replicate one monitor's image on a second monitor and not extend the desktop across both monitors.

I tried google, but wasn't able to find what I thought was a quality response that I understood.

AtlAg05
AG
Docking station at home.
chris1515
AG
I don't have a docking station. This is an older laptop that I don't want to buy a docking station for. Looking for a less expensive option.
Average Joe
AG
Plugable has some affordable usb options that work pretty well from what I've seen.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I've used a Pluggable USB adapter and it worked great.

Do you have a DVI or DisplayPort on your laptop? That would be even cheaper.
chris1515
AG
Yes I have a DVI output in the laptop.
TMoney2007
AG
What laptop and what monitors?
chris1515
AG
HP pavilion dv6....several years old.
Monitors are Asus vs228
TMoney2007
AG
Looks like it only has one HDMI which means that a usb 3.0 dock is probably the only solution.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Can you not use the VGA and HDMI at the same time? If so, you probably can't use the laptop's screen at the same time, but that's not what OP wants to do.
chris1515
AG
I tried using the vga and an hdmi cable at the same time and it didn't work, but I'm going to try changing some settings and see if it will.

The monitors don't have a USB input...
bigboykin
AG
I use this one at work and plug one monitor directly into the laptop and one via this USB adapter and it works great.
TMoney2007
AG
You need a dock that connects via USB 3. It doesn't go directly into the monitors.
chris1515
AG
Thanks for all the help on here!
chris1515
AG
Just to complete the thread.

I found that an HDMI to DVI converter worked for what I needed. For some reason, just plugging one monitor into the VGA out put and the other into the HDMI output with an HDMI cable didn't seem to work. (maybe it would have if I knew what I was doing)

I then had to go into my laptop's video settings and specify to "output to" an external monitor and a "video device" (I forget the exact wording).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.