Wii U

972 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Pman17
AggieT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My six year old is asking for a Wii U for Christmas. I've been out of the video game world for a few decades so I could use some help:

1. Is this a good buy? Are they going to be coming out with a new and improved system next year?

2. What are the best games (for a six year old, and for a 37 year old )?

3. Are there any accessories that you would recommend? Extra controllers, etc.

4. Anything else that I'm not considering?

TIA
Robk
My 6 and 8 yo love their Wii U. They constantly play Lego Jurassic Park (any lego game really), The Skylander games and Super Smash Bros. My 5 yo beat Skylanders trap team (easy mode) with help from his sister.
agdoc2001
AG
The Wii U will likely be replaced in 2017 with the new system to be announced next year, so you'll need to decided if 1.5-2 years is worth it. I'd recommend getting a Pro Controller so you don't have to use the giant tablet all the time. Good game for a 6 year old would be Yoshi's Woolly World. For you: Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Commander Toad, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chigger
AG
Wii love ours
dragmagpuff
AG
You have to get Super Mario Maker.
AggieT
AG
That's the one he keeps bugging me about.
MarylandAG
If you have been out of it for decades I have been out of it even longer, I'm not a video game person at all, we bought one for our little girl, she just turned 6 last month for reference. She loves that thing! I don't let her sit there and play it for hours or she would, I like for her to get out and about, but I have to say I would buy it again today. She plays Mario Kart 8 thinks rainbow road is the greatest thing ever and Donkey Kong Country tropical Freeze. If I bought her other games I'm sure she would love them but like I said I'm not a gamer so I buy games sparingly. In fact we just got back from Target and she was demoing a game called Splatoon, she loved it. I will say when I play with her I enjoy it. For Mario kart we have the steering wheel accessories other than that we have the remotes and the nunchucks
chipotle
Mario Kart

200cc will speed your face off
Oknows
AG
Anyone know of any black Friday deals on wii u?
Charpie
AG
We love our wii u
bigboykin
AG
We are looking to get one for our 7 year old. I, I mean he, really wants Mario Maker. The only decent BF deal I've seen is the Target bundle with digital versions of Splatoon and Smash Bros. for $250.

We are also considering buying used if anybody is looking to dump one for a good value in DFW this week.
Oknows
AG
Think Walmart has it for that price right now.
Pman17
AG
I've been kinda wanting one because of Super Mario Maker, but I'm gonna wait and see what the next console is. They say it's a Mobile/Console hybrid. I'm thinking some Apple TV type thing with a dock for the mobile system. We'll see. I've been disappointed with how they are handling the Virtual Console stuff. The Xbox One has more ported N64 games than the Wii U. The 3DS has no Gameboy Advance titles or SNES.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.