Windows 10 - blinking cursor on boot

1,225 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SJEAg
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think trying to install some Gigabyte MB apps has corrupted my recent W10 install on a new build. I am only getting a blinking cursor upon boot. My W10 was a W7 upgrade, and I don't have a boot disk yet. Is there a way to force safe mode or recover from this short of a format/reinstall?

BIOS see my Samsung SSD drive, as will the W7 install disk (but no recovery utilities work since W7). Tried forcing boot order in BIOS, changing video inputs. Not sure how to recover from this.

Thanks!

Frisco
AG
you got something usb plugged into it? Mine does that if my wife leaves her running watch plugged in and the pc reboots
Picard
AG
Nerdery is on point today. First response and we've already blamed a woman!

BQ78
AG
You may not have the correct display drivers and bios installed, that was my issue that sounds like yours.

To temporarily get the display back before you install the correct drivers and bios, try simultaneously hitting the Windows key and the P key.

If that does not work, try sacrificing a woman to the computer gods
Ark03
AG
So you can get in your BIOS? How far do you get past that?

Try spamming F8 to get to a boot menu so you can select safe mode. If that doesn't work, then assuming you are on a USB keyboard you may look to see if you can enable USB keyboard support in the BIOS, then try F8 again.

You may also try resetting the CMOS.

SJEAg
AG
landed up wiping the drive

was able to create a usb W10 bootdrv on another PC...but even after getting a startup menu (why did they suddenly make this so hard to do, whatver happened to good ol' F8), selecting safe mode resulted in the same. Changed around my SATA driver ordering in the case, and then just formatted/reinstalled....seems OK now.

My new problem is the PC keeps crashing while watching videos or flash content. Testing now if it's browser specific. I think my hardware is OK because I stress tested the hell out of it with Prime95, memtest, loops of 3dmark, and gaming with no issues. But 30 seconds of youtube and it black screens and I have to reboot....
Wildmen03
AG
Test your RAM with mdched.exe. Usually when I have issues like that the common culprit is bad RAM or driver problems.
OE_Ag11
AG
I kept having crashing problems after streaming videos / hard internet usage. the culprit in my case was the wireless card driver. uninstalled and reset cmos, and installed the new driver and it worked fine no more issues. it was a really weird bug.
SJEAg
AG
Narrowed the issue to Firefox. Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser helped some, but not completely.
Tired of messing with it, so I am now a Chrome user!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.