Best 75" TV under $2000

2,443 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PLUM LOCO
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoping for some good BF deals, but interested in getting a head start to see whats out there now and what the board thinks is the best 75" under $2K now.

And go!
htownag99
AG
Be careful about Black Friday TV deals. The TV's you see on Black Friday for dirt cheap (almost too good to be true) are usually junk TV's. They are models created just for Black Friday using cheaper parts, and parts from "end of life" models that had quality issues and was quickly replaced with a new model.
mid90
AG
75"?

Might as well just turn your whole wall into one big LED
CLB2008
AG
quote:
Be careful about Black Friday TV deals. The TV's you see on Black Friday for dirt cheap (almost too good to be true) are usually junk TV's. They are models created just for Black Friday using cheaper parts, and parts from "end of life" models that had quality issues and was quickly replaced with a new model.
I have actually heard this before, but has it actually ever been proven? Not saying your claim is BS, just wondering if companies have admitted to this or studies have proven it.
jopatura
AG
The TVs are definitely made specifically for Black Friday. They will have special model numbers and usually only a set number of them are made. It's also a ***** getting warranty work done on them because the companies hate standing behind that TV and hate replacing it with a better model.

You'll also notice if you look at the specs, if they are even provided, that they are an extreme downgrade then a regular TV of that same size and brand. There may be only one HDMI port, no composite ports, speakers on only one side of the TV, etc.

The real deals to find are when stores/companies will mark down regular TVs for Black Friday to bring down the numbers of extra stock before end of life in March/April. Best way to find those is to google the model number to see if other stores sell that exact model. For Black Friday, the companies will use the model number to identify stores. i.e. Best Buy and Walmart will sell the same size TV from the same company, but the model number will be slightly different.

Now whether the companies use crappy parts or not hasn't been widely publicized, but many people assume they do to bring cost down. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.
bigboykin
AG
The only thing I've seen close is a 70' Vizio smart TV in Walmart's BF ad. No idea if it's a cheap-o/knock-off/re-brand or a legit Vizio, which seems to always get good reviews.
An Ag in CO
AG
An article from 2014:

quote:
A more significant -- and more insidious -- problem is the derivative model: In their quest to offer ever greater deals with which to entice shoppers, retailers contract with television manufacturers for special Black Friday sets. Like a piece of clothing purchased from an outlet store, these televisions are based on full-featured TVs, but are commonly missing key features, often made with lesser-quality parts or sold with sharply reduced warranties.

Derivative models are manufactured in limited runs for the express purpose of being offered "on sale" during Black Friday. Unfortunately, it's difficult to determine which sets are derivatives -- the retailers don't make it easy, and even if you identify one, it's often hard to find its shortcomings.

This year, one of Best Buy's doorbusters appears to be a derivative model -- the 55-inch 4K Samsung television. That particular model (UN55HU6830) is not available from any other retailer, and Best Buy has only had it on sale this month -- an almost sure sign of a derivative. It's hard to say with absolute certainty, but it appears to be based on Samsung's UN55HU6840. Both TVs are highly similar, but the Black Friday version has a much lower refresh rate (60 Hz vs 120 Hz). TVs with higher refresh rates are better at handling fast-moving video.

The best deals I've seen on quality TVs have been in February.
htownag99
AG
I can verify it being true since I am in IT purchasing, so I work directly with LG, Samsung reps, and they all admit that this is the common practice for Black Friday deals. Stores typically get rid of last years models around Super Bowl time, so those are actually the best deal or time to get a decent TV.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
75"?

Might as well just turn your whole wall into one big LED
At that point, I'm happier with a projector
CLB2008
AG
Thanks guys. So, it sounds like with a little bit of research (checking model numbers closely, looking at sale history of those models, etc) buying a derivative/lesser model can be avoided.
CLB2008
AG
Well, came across this one yesterday at COSTCO in Houston. Site says sold out, but there were plenty in-store yesterday. A little leery because it looks like only COSTCO and SAMs sell this model. However, its a Samsung so its a good TV I am sure. 4K, 75" for only $2400...

too good to be true?

Samsung 75" Class #74.5" Diag.# 4K Ultra HD Smart LED LCD TV UN75JU641DFXZA
jopatura
AG
That's Costco's Black Friday TV according to Slickdeals.
Cromagnum
AG
You are better waiting till a week or two before the Superbowl for the best TV deals. That being said, you aren't going to find a "good" 75 inch TV for cheap. You can find several adequate 60-65 inch models in that price range, but they will not have amazing PQ.
PLUM LOCO
AG
quote:
quote:
You are better waiting till a week or two before the Superbowl for the best TV deals.
The week after the Super Bowl is better when all the "scum bags" that bought them for the parties return them because they cannot afford them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.