AT&T Gigapower

2,736 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by YouBet
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving and our new place is setup for this service. We currently have DTV with TWC Cable Internet 100MB.

Probably getting Uverse 200 with 1GB internet and it will be cheaper than what I pay today (year 1), so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Is the Uverse HD PQ still considered inferior to DTV? That is my only concern at this point.
MW03
AG
I love it. Just note that the 1GB is wired speed, which is great for grabbing an on demand HD movie or gaming. Over wireless, I had to buy a wifi adapter to connect to the 5ghz signal, but I get 300mb/s pretty consistently.
Nom de Plume
AG
We just converted from U450 with 45M to 1G. I get 700M wired, and about 80M wireless right now, but that's because I'm limited by some crappy CAT5 cables. That will soon be fixed. Seems like a good product.
neomoon
AG
The image marketing selected makes me sad
TMoney2007
AG
I'm hoping for a better price on a reasonable speed below gigabit. I wonder when it will make it to my neighborhood.
exp
AG
Which WiFi adapter? I'm assuming the default gateway only broadcasts 2.4ghz? Or your endpoint only picks up the 2.4?
MW03
AG
Mine broadcasts in 2.4 & 5.0. I bought an adapter to get my laptop to pick up the 5.0 signal.
PapaKilo
AG
quote:
The image marketing selected makes me sad

Glenn, is that you? You're still alive?
exp
AG
Gotcha. What was your motivation for switching bands? Can't imagine 2.4 at 100ish Mb would have been causing enough trouble to warrant dealing with an adapter on your pc.
MW03
AG
Just me being an entitled turd, honestly. I had a guy from AT&T out that said I wasn't even supposed to be using the 5.0 band because it was actually planned for a new receiver to use for streaming HD and eventually 4K stuff.
srob2004
AG
we got them for internet only. I got around 800-825 MB over wired. (house is ethernet wired throughout with a handful of gigabit switches)

over AC wireless I get 250-300 MB down

Very pleased with the service/product and the people that installed it.
exp
AG
My gigabit gateway has a distinct high pitched whine to it. Has anyone else noticed this? The installer was a punk kid who shrugged it off and said they're all like that, but somehow I doubt it.
YouBet
AG
Got installed today. 950Mb down and about 920Mb up. Is there anything more unnecessary?
salvatore_ditmars
Ask for an 80211ac wireless router. Then you can get the 1 gig wired or wireless.
YouBet
AG
quote:
Ask for an 80211ac wireless router. Then you can get the 1 gig wired or wireless.
Just checked and it's a Pace 5268AC so it is 80211ac.
Picard
AG
quote:

WRONG!!!

salvatore_ditmars
does their ac router not do 1gig? i am using my own WAP but have 1gb wired and 1gb wireless with my uverse.
srob2004
AG
What router are you using then? I don't use theirs. I use a netgear nighthawk (7000 model). Do you have a speed test showing that fast? I mean you are going to have some form of lag/latency as you go from one server to your home PC I would think... as far as AC wireless are you able to have more than 1 client connection to your PC you are testing this on or?
YouBet
AG
quote:
does their ac router not do 1gig? i am using my own WAP but have 1gb wired and 1gb wireless with my uverse.

Posted on the other gigabit thread....no, it does not. I'm only getting 20-40 mbps download on my mobile devices. How are you getting it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.