*****Official Fallout 4 Thread*****

165,306 Views | 1514 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Claude!
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AtlAg05 said:

What makes FONV better than FO4? I've only Ed played 4 and have always heard that NV was the best, so I'm curious.
TLDR: If you haven't played FONV or FO3, then you should.

FONV is good, but I think the sentiment towards Bethesda games really comes down to when you played them. From my experience, most people rank the first one they played over the others.

My first Bethesda game was Morrowind on Xbox, back in 2004-05. That was the first open world game I had ever played, and you could literally do anything you wanted. You could create any spell, become a vampire or a werewolf... it blew my mind. The sheer freedom the devs gave the player in that game were above and beyond anything since. They have only added restrictions for the player, since then.

The main quest was by far the best, in any Bethesda game, as far as story. I remember honestly being excited to find the next NPC to learn more (and when I say "find", I mean like an honest to god manhunt without a dog to help you track them). Also, you had so many freaking factions you could join, with some factions blocking you from joining others because they were rivals.

However, Morrowind has many quality of life issues because it was such an early game. The mechanics are clunky as hell, and it is definitely a slog to get started. However, where you end up vs where you begin really does feel like you have become a true hero.

Oblivion was also fantastic, but the main quest wasn't as good as Morrowind. However, Oblivion had without a doubt the best faction questline in all of Bethesda games. To this day, I still find myself thinking about the first time I played through the Dark Brotherhood quest in Oblivion. Nothing they have done before or after has touched that questline. Damn, it was so good. Overall, Oblivion has a lot of great other side quests, as well.

Skyrim is great. I have probably played Skyrim more than any other Bethesda game. However, I would say what makes Skyrim great is the gameplay, mechanics, and exploration. It is the most modern Elder Scrolls game, so it is the one I go back to the most for ease of access and playability. The quests in Skyrim are all mediocre to simply not that good. I would say anyone who thinks Skyrim quest lines are great really needs to go play some other games.

How would I rank all 3? When ranking games, I usually try to place myself within my own memories, and rank them based on my enjoyment of them and how they affected me at the time I played them. For that reason, I rank Morrowind as #1. Do I go back and play it all the time? No. I don't feel like spending hours on mods to make it palatable for 2024 me.

With FO3, FONV, and FO4, there are definitely varying qualities of quests, but my biggest issue for replayability comes down to quality of life mechanics. I have replayed FO4 more than FO3 or FONV simply because of all the quality of life and enhanced game mechanics. I also prefer the FO4 leveling system over FO3 and FONV. I don't play FO4 for questlines and stories. I play it as an exploration RPG, which makes it great for me.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you are looking to get out of the game. Want story? FO4 isn't gonna win out. You want exploration and modern mechanics? FO4 is superior to me, though that is admittedly subjective. And if you've never played FONV or FO3, then they are definitely worth the playthrough because they are both great games.
YouBet
AG
I played through FONV last year and while I enjoyed it the monotony of the landscape got to me at times. I think I still prefer FO3 and FO4 to FONV.

I recently started a play through of Skyrim again via Anniversary Edition which I'm someone who only plays a game once. So this is the really the first time I've ever played a big RPG a second time. Problem is that making the mod system work is a nightmare and I really only want to play it with mods just so I can get a different flavor of the game.

I've read through quite a few online guides on how to construct your load order, but it still crashes about 10 minutes into the game every time I play so I've stopped playing it.
Artorias
AG
I recently went back and played Skyrim again, an all-magic build this time, and actually finished the main story line. Still a fun and immersive experience, even with the obligatory Bethesda jankiness.
DallasTeleAg
You should be using CurseForge for your mod management, and create an account on NexusMods.

Most mods have a Mod Manager install option, which will open in within CurseForge. That should order them correctly and keep you from crashing.

Still, there's always the possibility of breaking the game with mods. That's just the nature of the beast.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

You should be using CurseForge for your mod management, and create an account on NexusMods.

Most mods have a Mod Manager install option, which will open in within CurseForge. That should order them correctly and keep you from crashing.

Still, there's always the possibility of breaking the game with mods. That's just the nature of the beast.

I'm on Xbox for this one though. This is for PC?
Brock Sampson
AG
I never finished this game…
DallasTeleAg
Ahh... nvm, then. Modding on console is very limited. But with the limits, I've not run into a situations where my game broke. That's strange.
Eliminatus
AG
Finished up Automatron DLC (it was alright) and working through Nuka World right now. Getting bored with the main story in it though. I like being the bad guy, but I don't care for working with others to be the bad guy. Still, a really different take in a video game and I applaud that. Probably still gonna say f it and start murdering everyone before finishing it. Which is actually a valid option given to you as well.

Will also say the Hubology side quest in it actually had me laughing. It's so absurd and a fork in the eye with one of our own religions that I am amazed it made it into the game. Game studios were just built different not even five years ago it seems…

Still crunching, still enjoying it. May actually beat one of these damned games one day. I also picked up FO76 on their super sale a lil while ago and think I will give that a spin once I'm done with 4.
YouBet
AG
I recall reading that FO76 was a mess when it came out and not even really like the others. Wasn't it more of a personal base building thing with no story? Am I dreaming that?
Claude!
YouBet said:

I recall reading that FO76 was a mess when it came out and not even really like the others. Wasn't it more of a personal base building thing with no story? Am I dreaming that?
It was a mess on release for a lot of reasons, one of which being that there were no real NPCs - the story was told entirely through holo-tapes and robots, along with stuff to kill. The conceit was that the players would be the population. That didn't really resonate. Which is a shame, because the story was actually kind of interesting and would've made an okay campaign. There was also a huge dose of good old Bethesda jank, multiplied by it being a multiplayer title, which didn't help.

Ultimately, Bethesda went through a bunch of patches, including the addition of actual NPCs with stories. I've played it a little bit since the patches. The combat is still kind of jank; the leveling system with the cards is good but not great; and some of the survival mechanics are frustrating (I'm convinced that Todd Howard has a fetish for adhesive and screws).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.