Windows 10?

1,465 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by EMY92
tmr69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should I get a free download of Windows 10? I currently have Windows 7. Is the upgrade good enough to make it worth it in the sense of having to learn a new program?
AggieBarstool
Only you can answer that for yourself?
fta09
AG
I went from 8 to 10 on my laptop and I'm glad I did, but I will keep 7 on my primary desktop for now.
95_Aggie
AG
There is not a big learning curve between 7 and 10.

8 was a different story ...
Bryan98
AG
I upgraded to 10 because it lets you stream your Xbox One to your PC. That way I can play Destiny if someone else is using our TV.

Honestly, it's not a very big difference. Some things are called different names, the Start menu is a little different, but overall there's zero learning curve.

I wouldn't do it if there wasn't a reason, though. I was perfectly happy with 7.
spieg12
AG
I went from 7 to 10 on my laptop. Worked seamlessly and there is almost no learning curve. I really like it.
Cloud
Do it.
agent-maroon
AG
Interesting responses on this thread. The "free" Windows 10 upgrade has been nothing short of a trojan horse virus for me. In fact, I found this thread on a search looking to solve the problems the "free" upgrade has been causing my desktop every since I attempted the upgrade and to see if there was a way to keep Windows from attempting to upgrade automatically.

First of all, the upgrade failed and has failed every time its been attempted. I tried 3 or so times and the automatic upgrade has tried it at least once a day (usually more) for the last month or so. The error message is well known to the internet and MS but the issue is apparently with my video card driver and cannot be fixed short of removing/replacing the video card. I upgraded the video driver without effect.

Every time Windows attempts to automatically upgrade to 10 it fails and the problems start. The mouse stops responding. Firefox starts crashing. Scripts become unresponsive and crash. I'm sending around 5 "crash reports" a day to Firefox and having to restart just to be able to use the damn computer.

• So my question is if there is any way to rescind the acceptance of the "free" Windows 10 upgrade offer and just go back to using Windows 7 Ultimate like I used to? It worked and I was happy with it.

• For the life of me, I can't believe that I could have been stupid enough to believe that MS was ever going to give away anything worth a damn. Bill Gates didn't get to be the world's richest man by giving away anything.

Thanks in advance

Edit - found the answer. Looks like I'm stuck with Windows 10 and am obligated to buy a new video card. It WON'T be a nvidia card

With just 12 days before release Microsoft MSFT +1.85% has finally published its Windows 10 end user license agreement (EULA) and the big news is it confirms a feature some fear: Windows 10 updates cannot be stopped. Here's the official line: "The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice." In short: Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates and you have no option to switch them off.
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    Pro Sandy
    AG
    I've had zero issues other than trying to get my VMs to connect to the network. That was solved by upgrading VMPlayer.
    Velvet Jones
    AG
    It's been great for me.

No issues whatsoever.
    Wildmen03
    AG
    That's weird, I've upgraded 6 machines, 2 desktops and 4 laptops and the only issue I had was with one of the early beta releases. Every other one has worked effortlessly.

I was even able to take a hard drive loaded with Windows 10 out of a desktop, install it on a laptop and it booted up and took care of everything with no issues. It was neat.
    chigger
    AG
    No issues here with the two we've upgraded.
    TMoney2007
    AG
    Which video card? Old enough that Nvidia doesn't update the driver anymore and doesn't have a Windows 10 driver?
    PLUM LOCO
    AG
    The 1511 update has really improved performance over the initial release.
    agent-maroon
    AG
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Nvidia recently provided a driver update which is also known to be problematic with the Windows 10 upgrade. And if all that wasn't bad enough, it appears that any future Windows 10 non-optional automatic updates also cause problems even after you have Windows 10 up and running.

But that wasn't the only problem, if it was even a problem for my computer at all. I replaced the Nvidia with another card and the Windows 10 upgrade still gets stuck at 32% complete 6% drivers point just like it has every other time I've attempted the upgrade.

At least my Windows 7 OS seems to be much more stable after switching the video card as I haven't had any crashes since the replacement. The new video card cooling fans are much quieter as well.
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    TMoney2007
    AG
    Very strange. If your windows 7 install is more stable with the new video card, your old one may have been glitchy which contributed to the issues as well as the driver problems. My 8800 gt cropped out a while back. My current computer runs newer hardware and I didn't have any issues.
    terradactylexpress
    I have lost the ability to scroll with my touch pad and can not figure it out
    EMY92
    AG
    quote:
    I have lost the ability to scroll with my touch pad and can not figure it out
    Make sure your touchpad driver is up to date, you might also need to try another driver. I had issues with that as well.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.