I made the horrible mistake...

3,608 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Raggy09
staedtler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
of buying a game before reading any type of review. Have always been a huge THPS fan. Was excited to see THPS 5 come out.

This thing is not even playable. Even with the update that fixes glitches, it is absolutely boring. You can't even skate anywhere other than inside unless you do a bunch of stupid indoor tricks like "jumping to catch letters" and collecting ice cream cones. Seriously....ice cream cones.

Major letdown. The SKATE series really kind of killed THPS and I wish they would have been the ones to release a new skate game.

$59.99 + T might as well have been flushed down a toilet.
SeattleAgJr
chipotle
quote:
THPS

staedtler
quote:
quote:
THPS

I knoooooow.
Raggy09
AG
I did the same. Oh well. Hope I can make some funny videos/twitch stream out of it.
Señor Chang
AG
I played the hell out of THPS 1 and 2 on the PS1.
staedtler
quote:
I did the same. Oh well. Hope I can make some funny videos/twitch stream out of it.

Have you figured out how to get out of the first level?
Saxsoon
AG
My gaming podcasts I listen to (GT Time and IGN Beyond) have been obliterating this game.
Raggy09
AG
Haven't even played it yet. Too busy with new Rock Band, Saint's Row 3, and Dead Island Riptide at the moment.
Jackass2004
AG
It's all a scam now to sucker people into preordering. Halo 5 is going to be a gigantic turd.
Scotty Flamingo
The original THPS was the tits tho
Raggy09
AG
The guys at FunHaus had a pretty good discussion about this.

So with the advent of always online and the ability to update the software, have gaming companies lured us into a paradigm of releasing broken games with the intent to fix them post launch? Prior to the availability of Internet, once a game was released, that was it. So it better be finished, right?

The simple question is, "Would you rather a game be released on time with major updates to fix glaring issues, or a game be delayed to fix the same issues?"

FunHaus
Halibut
AG
Delayed, and it's not even a debate for me.

That said, I'm an adult with a lot less time to play games than I used to. When I was younger I probably would have said the opposite (assuming the same internet connectivity that the consoles currently have).
Ewok It Out08
AG
Delayed. This whole concept of releasing a broken game to be fixed through patches is great for the companies making the game. They stay on schedule and still make a ton of money. The only problem is that by doing so, they essentially destroy the community. For me, the poster boy of this is the Master Chief Collection. When the game was released, we had a ton of Ags online all the time. I had a blast running some customs with you guys in the first few days after release. However, the match making system was so broken, a good number of people ended up just leaving the game. If game makers want to establish a strong community, they need to release finished products, not ones with game breaking problems.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Delayed but with the understanding that the original release date was probably a load of bull****.
TexasRebel
AG
The way I see it, they can put the minimum effort into the original release. Then if nobody buys it, they abandon it... Or at least just barely make it playable. Why update a game that isn't making money?
CrockerCock00
AG
Not to mention that if they're running low on funds, they release a half baked game and suddenly have funding to complete the game.... we hope.
Raggy09
AG
A new question then, who is at fault when something turns out the way it does?

I'm also of the mindset, I don't mind having a game delayed as long as it's done right (see: Halo 2). I think the problem is with the publishers, who want a set date of release, no matter what. Heck, Destiny was supposed to originally be released in March 2014.

There's a pretty good article about the myths surrounding game development answered by developers on Kotaku. Good insight to what its like to be the guys we're always so mad at. Link

There's a curious stigma here. It's complexity is driven on multiple fronts by competition and the state fo the gaming economy, as well as a community that has accelerated faster than I think both publishers and developers have been able to anticipate.

Used to, games came out, when they came out. Now, releases are a full-blown event. Hell, just the debut trailers are full-blown events. And the gaming community combined with the ever present media attention either can't get enough, or gets overwhelmed. Publishers and developers are starting to be treated like bonafide rockstars.

Where does it go from here?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.