AT&T/U-Verse WAP and adding my own router

5,077 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Pman17
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, if it isn't clear from my post below, I am not tech savvy. Posting here to see if I even need to reach out to AT&T customer support, which I want to avoid at all costs if possible.

So, I have U-verse and the Wi-Fi in our house sucks. So, I went to Best Buy and bought a nice router, hoping to help with being able to get service on all of our devices anywhere in the house. So, yesterday I get rid of the WAP (what I think is the router they supply?) and put in my new router. Well, the devices have no problem getting signal now, anywhere in the house, but we lose connectivity on our bedroom TV because it has a wireless receiver from AT&T. Apparently that receiver needs to be able to connect to the WAP to work?

So, then I try plugging the WAP back in by connecting the new router to the modem and then the router to the WAP. Well, the devices get Wi-Fi again, but its from the 2Wire that the WAP was sending out before all of this, and the new router cant even be found when searching for networks. And the TV in the bedroom cant connect.

So, here I am back to square one. Is what I want to do possible somehow?
Pman17
AG
Yea, I did the same thing. Bought a new Netgear R7000 router to handle all our devices. The AT&T modem is the wifi router. The little WAP is a segregated router for only the Wireless TV boxes. We had a problem with our upstairs tv because the connection would drop out even though the signal was good and was working before. We called AT&T and they said they would send a new box just like it. Instead they sent the old wired Motorola box. We took it anyways since the person who changed our modem a while back said we didn't need those boxes. The wired one works like it used to and has the new uverse software.
Pman17
AG
In the 2-Wire settings you can disable the wifi signal so only your new router signal is broadcasted. May have to hook up a laptop to the Ethernet so you can get back into the 2wire when the signal disables.

To get into your wifi settings for the 2Wire it's http://192.168.1.254. Password is on the modem.

What you want to do is possible because I've done it. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
We use the uverse wifi for our kids. Attached an Apple Airport extreme for the adults wifi.

You can have 2 routers with different wifi networks in your house.
stridulent
AG
What's a good router to get? Our Uverse wifi sucks as well.
m-walker
AG
I ended up getting the Google OnHub router, and configured the Uverse for IP Passthrough. I've been happy with it.
Pman17
AG
quote:
What's a good router to get? Our Uverse wifi sucks as well.

This is what I got for my U-Verse. Good price too!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F0DD0I6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1444325451&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=r7000&dpPl=1&dpID=41MfXitXjeL&ref=plSrch

Easy to set up. Just Hook up the to router to your AT&T, connect to the router and go through the set up, log in to your uverse router page and disable the uverse wifi.
There's two bands, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. We use the 2.4 GHz for the little things like phones, printers, etc. 5 GHz for heavy stuff like Xbox and PCs. You can set up a guest network as well so all of you IPs dont get taken up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.