Why is the youtube video quality on Roku so ****ty?

1,395 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From what I read, it seems that google purposely stops the videos from going full HD because they want people to watch it from chromecast. Is this true? If so, does anyone know a workaround?

It really annoys me that I'll play a video on my phone and it will look nice and crisp in full HD, but looks like crap when I stream it to my roku stick.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
The netflix app sucks too...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The new update does kinda suck. It autoplays everything you open which is really annoying. Slows everything down.

Sometimes I just want to see the information.
Charpie
AG
I do not have these problems with my roku stick
bedofbrass33
AG
Strangely Netflix works perfectly on my new Roku 3. However, Sling TV has a bad habit of freezing up. Doesn't matter if the connection is hard wired or wireless.
QBCade
AG
quote:
The netflix app sucks too...
Really?? I love my Roku3 - haven't had any issues with Netflix, Amazon, or HBOGO.
aggieforester05
AG
If you think netflix sucks on roku, then try the showtime or youtube apps. You'll be praising the netflix app afterwards.
Stasco
AG
I've seen great YouTube quality on my Roku 3, though it may only be 720. Still plenty good for Roku, IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Full 1080p?
Charpie
AG
Yup
Pman17
AG
I have Fire TV, haven't tried YouTube or Netflix yet. I have Kodi on mine. Some of the new devices support 4K now.
aggieforester05
AG
quote:
I've seen great YouTube quality on my Roku 3, though it may only be 720. Still plenty good for Roku, IMO.
I don't have any problems with the quality of the video, just the crappy UI.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oddly it started looking much better last night. Maybe 1080. They might've updated it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.