New TV...network/streaming question

1,553 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
GasPasser97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought a new 4K TV for the gameroom.

What's the best way to hook it up?

Currently have satellite TV/Internet (rural).

Internet modem is a long distance from the new TV location 75+ ft.

Should I hardwire (CAT-6, Ethernet, HDMI) from the modem to new TV...

Should I go the Roku/Sling route...

Or should I just use a satellite hopper box?

I know very little about these things.

Basically, I want to watch sports and movies on the new TV...and would like to know the best way of getting the signal there, given my sources (satellite TV/Internet) and logistics issues (long run for cable, less so for wifi).

Thanks!
PooDoo
AG
So you want to put the new TV someplace that has never had a tv?

I'd run Ethernet because your main source of 4K programming will be YouTube for now.

Then get a hopper or whatever the dish people suggest.

Are you still under contract with dish?
GasPasser97
AG
The previous owners had TV there...but none of the connections (to my poorly informed eye) look like CAT/Ethernet/HDMI

No longer under contract with DISH, but tried to go DirectTV...but they wouldn't switch, since it would require getting off a ladder on onto a metal roof

"OSHA won't let us."

My understanding is the following:

- DirectTV has some limited 4K now
- Dish will have it soon via 4K Joey
- no other providers available out here
- Internet is via satellite out here, that's it
- current down speed is 15+ Mbps
- Ultra Blu-Ray will be 2016

Given the above, I expect mostly 1080 up converted (a bit) for now...but 4K broadcast in the future.

In the meantime, 4K via YouTube and Netflix is it...so I would need to stream.

Given all that, should I stream with wifi, or run cable?

Since that particular TV is primarily for sports and movies:

1) should I go with Roku/Sling for games/movies...or go Dish 4K Joey

2) will wifi for streaming Netflix, etc be sufficient at 15+ Mbps for 4K content...or will Ethernet/CAT/HDMI be better

My uneducated guess is:

1) go with standard Dish Joey for now (wifi)

2) upgrade to Dish 4K Joey, when available

I guess my basic question is...will hard wire make me more capable to access the limited 4K content that is available today...or will wifi at > 15 Mbps be sufficient?

Thanks again.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Run a cat5e/cat6.

At some point you are very likely to want connectivity there and wired is so much better than wireless for this type of thing.
aggieforester05
AG
If you have satellite internet, streaming is probably not an option, especially not 4K. Try to find out if there is any wireless internet providers in your area. They're popping up everywhere in the rural areas around Longview. They typically have faster speeds and much higher data limits than satellite, probably cheaper too.

I use this website to locate them:

http://broadbandnow.com/
PooDoo
AG
If they used to have a TV there it's probably a coaxial cable that would connect to a splitter that is distributing the satellite signal to the boxes.

Definitely hard wire the room/tv if you can.

I'd call dish & see if they would give you any deals to sign another contract. See if you can get them to send someone out there.
GasPasser97
AG
Thanks everyone!
permabull
AG
TX scallywAG
AG
Sign up for Netflix & try streaming on your laptop first. If streaming works fine your PC, shouldn't have any issues with a Roku 3 hardwired in. Hate to go through the trouble & it not work.

It isn't necessarily speed/mbps down that's the issue with satellite Internet but the latency/ping time. You may get the buffer screen often.

My parents have WISP & I was worried about latency issues for streaming. Set up Sling TV & it works fine. Keep in mind Sling is 720p on Roku 3 & latency with WISP is typically less than with satellite Internet.

Also, cat 5e to HDMI converter for remote TVs are great. I've never seen the back of a Joey box but am impressed it will decode video via network cable w/o a HMDI converter (assuming I didn't misunderstand previous comment).
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
permabull
AG
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
quote:
I've never seen the back of a Joey box but am impressed it will decode video via network cable w/o a HMDI converter (assuming I didn't misunderstand previous comment).

Yea the joey is the client dish uses for their hopper. They usually want you to wire it up with coax and use moca (multimedia over coax) but the bandwidth of cat5 is greater than moca so it works fine over the network cable instead. It gives you full control over the DVR so you can change channels, pause, etc

Are you using a balun to convert Cat5e to coax or is there a RJ45 port that will natively accept thr 5e?
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.