Wife brought home a PS4

3,142 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Halibut
RDV-1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What games should I get? What features should I be aware of? I'm a middle aged workaholic, so I'm not fully versed on consols released since the mid 1990s. Although we do have a Wii and have enjoyed that.

<moved from entertainment>
sdc177
AG
Rocket League is all you need.
MaroonStain
AG
Far Cry 4, Last Of Us for starters then wait breath abated for Fallout 4.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
What features should I be aware of...Not fully versed on consoles since mid 90's

Here are the big ones:

• Do not blow on the discs and/or inside the console... this is not required for the system to work.
  • There is no reset button
  • If you turn on the system w/out a game inserted it still works... mind blown!
  • You do not need your TV on Channel 3 for it to work
  • You can plug it into the internet
  • The controllers are not missing plugs, they use some wireless voodoo
spieg12
AG
If you've got the time I would recommend destiny. It's really good with the latest taken king dlc.
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Rocket League can be pretty dang fun (combine soccer and demolition derby and you are basically there). If you like First Person Shooters and allow you to play with a big TexAgs community, check out Destiny. With The Taken King you get the base game and all the expansions.
RDV-1992
quote:
quote:
What features should I be aware of...Not fully versed on consoles since mid 90's

Here are the big ones:

• Do not blow on the discs and/or inside the console... this is not required for the system to work.

Ha! I remember blowing on the backs of nintendo cartridges. We played on that quite a bit when I was in school from 88-92.

PS - if you're lucky some day you'll be old like me and will have to put up with sass from snotnose kids like yourself.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Here are the big ones:

Ha! I remember blowing on the backs of nintendo cartridges. We played on that quite a bit when I was in school from 88-92.

PS - if you're lucky some day you'll be old like me and will have to put up with sass from snotnose kids like yourself.

LOL, what!? I am old and have kids. How else did I know about the channel 3 and blowing into cartridges nonsense. I was there man!
RDV-1992
Ah. Well my apologies.
rebel99
AG
I remember channel 3! Wasn't that UHF?

You don't need to pause your game overnight and play it when you wake up in the morning.
TX scallywAG
AG
... my Dreamcast connected to the world wide web in '99.

96k modem biatches.

Sega does what NintenDON'T.

...no comments yet on awesome wife? Keeper.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
AggieEE
AG
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
The Last of Us
jay040
Madden or FIFA
The Collective
AG
I can't "win" without game genie, so I stay away from modern video game systems.
PMD03
AG
quote:
What games should I get? What features should I be aware of? I'm a middle aged workaholic, so I'm not fully versed on consols released since the mid 1990s. Although we do have a Wii and have enjoyed that.

I'm in the same boat. My wife bought a PS4 for my birthday. It came with the Last of Us which I am enjoying so far.

In my opinion, the biggest changes in video games are that the player is expected to beat the game. I remember many Nintendo games that I owned when younger that I never beat or got past a certain level. Games now are more story oriented and the designers want you to finish the story.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm in the same boat. My wife bought a PS4 for my birthday. It came with the Last of Us which I am enjoying so far.

In my opinion, the biggest changes in video games are that the player is expected to beat the game. I remember many Nintendo games that I owned when younger that I never beat or got past a certain level. Games now are more story oriented and the designers want you to finish the story.
while that is mostly true, most games that are made by Naughty Dog (Last of Us, Unchartered series ect.) are story oriented. There are the games out there that not a lot of people beat still (dark souls...bloodborne...) and there are some that are story oriented that I mostly enjoy, which are open world games (Fallout 4 ect.) MGS V: Phantom Pain is a good one that I have picked up lately.

Also Destiny is one that I picked up the day before yesterday and I am hooked. A good change of pace from all games, and pretty fun.
KatyAg88
LOL! Great post jr15aggie.
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
I remember channel 3! Wasn't that UHF?

UHF was channels 14 and up. Channel 3 and 4 were used as input channels as well as VHF or regular cable channels.
theNetSmith
AG
quote:
My first thought, too, when I read the OP... How come my wife hasn't brought home a PS4 yet? Oh, yeah... some nonsense about "we already have more game systems than TVs"... pbbttth.
Fenrir
quote:
quote:
My first thought, too, when I read the OP... How come my wife hasn't brought home a PS4 yet? Oh, yeah... some nonsense about "we already have more game systems than TVs"... pbbttth.
Doesn't she know that's why there are multiple inputs on TVs these days?
TefIon Don
AG
My wife bought be an XB1 for Christmas to replace the 360 that I hadnt played in over a year. She sorely regrets it.
quahog_ag
AG
My vote would be for Destiny. I like that I can start it up and play for 30 minutes if that is all the time I have. or put the cooler in the living room and play for multiple hours. Helps if you have people that you can play with though, so if you like solo games, then maybe go a different route.
RDV-1992
I got the last of us last weekend. Haven't played it yet, but will try to fire it up this weekend and check it out. Thanks for all the help!
theNetSmith
AG
quote:
My vote would be for Destiny. I like that I can start it up and play for 30 minutes if that is all the time I have...
I like to start up Rocket League for a 5-10 minute game if that is all the time I have. Then I turn it off and realize 2 hours have gone by.
LitreBoy
AG
Still play GTA V fairly often (few times a month for an almost 40 dude) and NBA 2K15. Dabbled with the Last of Us for a bit, but wanted to play GTA on the new platform. I'll probably go back and check it out as GTA Online is getting a bit stale.
Halibut
AG
MGS5 and Rocket League both came out this year, and are both amazing games.

Oh, and just because I think it would be funny to get a lapsed gamer's take: Bloodborne.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.