Night mode on Google Maps....

2,289 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agracer
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guess I don't use navigation much at night b/c this is the first time I've noticed this....but who in the name of all that his holy thought a blue line on a black back ground was a good idea? I understand turning off the bright colors b/c of night vision and looking at the phone (bright) and back out of the windshield (dark).

But you can't see a dang thing on the map. Very annoying. It appears there is no way to disable the feature or at least brighten up the display a bit so I can read the damn map!

I swear a tech companies get larger they get dumber or just lazy about stuff.
crusty clam
I use it all the time and I don't have any problem with it. I'm dumb and lazy too.
BrazosDog02
AG
Programmers are rarely 'users'. Doesnt shock me at all.
schmendeler
AG
I like it a lot and have had no issues with it. maybe you just have bad/weird vision? it's pretty much identical to the night mode of my old dedicated GPS unit.
howdydamnit04
AG
I use google maps 90% of the time I'm in the car and never had a problem with night mode. I can't take a screen shot right now but this is the picture that came up with an image search. The blue line is always easy for me to read.

http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1529916/size/tl-horizontal_main/good-news-for-eyeballs-google-maps-now-has-night-mode
redd38
AG
I use night mode navigation all the time and have never struggled with the colors.
jay040
if you have an iphone you can triple tap the home button to reverse the color scheme if you really can't see the blue.
agracer
AG
I can see the blue, I just can't see anything else. I like to know where I'm going and what's ahead, not just blindly follow a line in the screen. If I can see that Maple street is right before my turn on Oak St, then when I see the sign for maple I know the next turn is mine. Yes GPS is pretty good now, but it's not perfect. Mine does not look like the picture Howdy posted above. The background is a lot darker
benMath08
AG
Seriously though, you might be partially colorblind and/or have vision problems. It's really easy to read in the car at night.
GetThoseKeysMilo
They are specifically designed with science to be very readable at night. You probably either have a defective unit, or you might want to get your eyes checked. And try one of those free online color blind test sites to make sure you're not losing some vision.
cav14
As others have said, I have had no issues with night mode with the blue line and with seeing all of the other stuff around it. Something could be wrong with your phone's screen or you could seriously be suffering from color blindness.
SeattleAgJr
PatAg
AG
I thought red was a pretty standard color used in "night modes" of everything?
hurricanejake02
AG
Might try adjusting the brightness on your phone...
salvatore_ditmars
quote:
They are specifically designed with science to be very readable at night.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Do you wear glasses?

If so, do you have polarized lenses?

If he's using polarized lenses at night....
agracer
AG
Not color blind.

Moved it up from down low on the console higher up on the dash and is a lot better.

It is frustrating that these things are forced on us with no option to turn it off Like the stupid new compose email box in Gmail (well not really new). Or the suck ass tu colors on the default android calendar app
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.