Satellite system questions

1,316 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bmc13
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonna be at the lake next weekend, and the house has a Dish network satellite (non-HD), but it's not "active", and no HD receiver. What are my options for getting a satellite feed for the game without a full-on year long subscription to Dish or Direct TV, (which I don't want to do)?

Do I need an "new" HD dish, or will the old dish work?

Can I just purchase a "used" system off craigslist for a one-time use and purchase one month of service from either Dish or DirectTV?
bmc13
AG
find a friend with a second dish network receiver uou could borrow for the weekend?

might need a new dish as well for hd stuff...or at least repoint the existing one for the correct satellite.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
BoerneGator
AG
Come to think of it, I have two HD receievers (Direct TV), so I could just take along one of mine and then I'd just need another dish. Then, all I hafta do is find the proper satellite, huh? Shouldn't hafta purchase additional service, right?
n_touch
In Houston and have an HD dish from direct tv if you want it.
BoerneGator
AG
Thanks for he offer. Sent you a PM.

Can someone confirm this will "work". ie. moving a receiver from its "normal home" and using it remotely with a secondary dish. Also, how hard is it to locate the proper satellite and lock in on it? Been a while since I've aimed one of those boogers!
Tailgate88
AG
It works, I do it in Spence Park 6-7 times a year. Use Dishpointer.com to point your dish. You will have to call DirecTV the first time if your home dish is a different type than the one at the lake. It's best to just pay the $10/mo to keep it active until football season is up. Allow a couple hours to get everything pointed and working.
BoerneGator
AG
Thanks, TG88! No excuses now!
BoerneGator
AG
Son pointed out my secondary receiver works off the primary one; so reckon I hafta take the primary one to the lake. Amiright?
permabull
AG
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
do you have the model number? If it is the Genie then yes you will need to take the main receiver. My parents are still using an old DirectTV setup where each box has its own tuner and card in it so you can break them off and use them individually.
Don't see a model # on the front, but it's 4-5 years old, but still have the older/original one (HR 10-250).

Wonder can I even still use the old one?
bmc13
AG
if it's not the genie set up with genie extenders they should still work separately. I have a genie and an older hd-dvr and it works separate from the genie system but they can still share recordings through the whole home feature when they're on the same network.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.