Best Affordable Home camera systems (Drop Cam, Easy Install, etc)

1,424 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Mr_mo8268
Mr_mo8268
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This might not be the best thread, but I had a few questions about home cameras.

A few random and very odd things have happened around my Mother's house the last 6-8 weeks, and I'd like to have some peace of mind. It is just her now in my old childhood home and I am looking to put in a quick camera system.

Does anyone know anything about this? I am looking for just 2-3 outdoor cameras that could play back a few days of footage, nothing fancy. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
jay040
What's your definition of affordable? There might be some folks on the free tech list who would be willing to sell their Arlo systems if brand new isn't in your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Smart-Security-Camera-System/dp/B00P7EVST6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1440768595&sr=8-3&keywords=arlo

Mr_mo8268
AG
Good call, for some reason I thought these systems would be in the 1000s. Your link is suitable. What do you suggest then? I appreciate your help.
jay040
Depending on your needs, the 3 camera kit might be nice... You get 5 free gigs of cloud storage data, after that you have to pay. They're scheduled and motion activated, so they only record when they detect motion during time period that you've scheduled. You can have it alert you phone, or send you emails. They don't link to a security company, if that's what you were looking for. I really don't know a lot about security cameras, but I have these at my house covering the entrances.
Mr_mo8268
AG
That's essentially all I am looking for. So is Arlo the way to go? How easy is installation?
jay040
You hook the base station up to your router, (she'll need internet access), register, put the batteries in the cameras and sync them to the base station, and then install the cameras where you want them. Depending on how often they have to record, batteries should last a few months.
ExPLK
AG
I second Arlo. Just plug in the base unit to router via Ethernet and plug in power cable.

To sync camera press the sync button on base unit and camera simultaneously. That's it. I have 5 cameras and absolutely love it!
Mr_mo8268
AG
Thanks for the help. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for with a set up I can manage fairly easily.

Again, I really appreciate it fellas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.