best photo backup solution.

2,589 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aggieforester05
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have several terabytes of digital pics and movies we've taken over the years, and we're trying to organize them and back them up. What is the best solution? We have looked at some cloud services but the upload/download it woud take to get it there is daunting. What about local redundant storage?
Guitarsoup
AG
Uploading TBs of data is probably a no go.

Amazon has free cloud storage. Google has some, too.

I use Smugmug and they have unlimited storage for like $40/year. I can get you a discount on the first year when I get back to Texas.
labmansid
Yeah cloud type storage can be pretty cumbersome, especially first starting up, unless you have access to superfast internet most of the time. Over time it could also be a little expensive. It would probably be more secure, however, since it would be backed up on redundant servers most likely. I do have an account at Smugmug for most of my favorite pictures.

I also have several portable hard drives I keep everything on. Hard drives are relatively cheap as far as I am concerned, but not infallible. Redundancy is your friend if they are really valuable to you.

CapCity12thMan
AG
I believe using back blaze, you can ship them a thumb drive/external drive rather than wait in transfer time. I am sure other services do this too, so might be worth checking out.
Al Bula
AG
If you sign up for an Aggienetwork.com email (Google apps) account, you have UNLIMITED storage.

See thread here: http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2615075

I backed up all docs, music and photos to my account. The new Google photos app/interface is pretty badass too.
Tailgate88
AG
Amazon Prime comes with unlimited photo storage.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
If you sign up for an Aggienetwork.com email (Google apps) account, you have UNLIMITED storage.

I thought unlimited was really 10 TB? Still plenty of space, but not truly unlimited.
Malachi Constant
AG
"Unlimited" means 2 PETAbytes. 2 million gigabytes.
Malachi Constant
AG
And google photos has been absolutely awesome. I uploaded our entire library of digital photos (about 50GB) and the "assistant" created about 100 stories, collages, and stylized photos that are all really cool.

I was using Carousel until I learned about the aggienetwork.com thing.
SeaAg98
AG
For pure redundancy, I use Amazon Web Services https://aws.amazon.com/ . Cheap cloud storage if you just want a safe place to store a TON of data. This is only redundancy and keep everything locally in my house on a RAID'd NAS. Monthly backups keep terabytes in cold storage.
aTm2004
AG
This is what my wife and I do.
Pro Sandy
AG
I backed up everything to my Aggie gmail drive, all 250 GB of it. Took a few days, but it would sync in the background.
kb2001
AG
You can probably get away with the free level on various services like google, amazon photo storage, or dropbox for just pictures. But for TB's of videos you need a bit more space. AWS can put in cold storage, but it can add up depending on how much you have. Their archiving service is $.01/GB/mo. So 5 TB will cost you over $50 per month, probably more than you wanted to spend.

Pro Sandy has a good idea, use the 10TB of free space you get with your aggienetwork account. That should cover most of your videos

aTm2004
AG
Uhh...it's a lot more than 10TB. It's 2,000TB.
Malachi Constant
AG
2 Petabytes =
2,000 Terabytes
2,000,000 Gigabytes
2,000,000,000 Megabytes
2,000,000,000,000 Kilobytes
2,000,000,000,000,000 Bytes
16,000,000,000,000,000 Ones and Zeros

That's what you get with google and aggienetwork.com
kb2001
AG
When did it increase from 10TB?

Last I looked was a few months ago, and the limit then was 10 TB, now it says "unlimited". When did this change?
FTACO97
AG
Google Photos and Flickr are both unlimited storage for pictures.
bearamedic99
AG
does Google Drive first store it locally on your PC and then start storing it online? I seem to have less memory since starting the storage to Google Drive. Plus, every now and then it will ignore my aggienetwork.com log on for another Google log on and tell me I only have 15GB of memory.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
I signed up for the aggienetwork address this week and only got 15GB. Has anyone else checked recently?
aTm2004
AG
You should be getting "unlimited." I just checked and this is what it says...

You're using 27.25 GB
[url=http://www.google.com/drive/about.html][/url]
[url=http://www.google.com/drive/about.html][/url]Google Drive 22.18 GB

[url=https://www.gmail.com/mail/help/about.html][/url]Gmail 0 GB

[url=https://www.google.com/photos/about/][/url]Google Photos 5.07 GB

Everyone at Aggienetwork.com can use unlimited storage!

I went to Settings -> Storage -> View Details
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
It apparently takes a few days to recognize the unlimited storage. It is saying unlimited today, but earlier this week it definitely said 15GB.
aggieforester05
AG
Has anyone figured out how to tie it directly to your original gmail account so you don't have to switch back and forth to access the storage?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.