College Football Handicapping Excel Spreadsheet

7,904 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by fta09
Naked Hiker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few friends and I are trying to grow our sports betting hobby into an analytical spreadsheet for this season.
In a class at A&M (I can't even remember which) a prof built a sheet with us that valued the Vegas spread, avg points for, avg points against, predicted weather, grass or turf, indoors or out, national television or not, returning starters, W/L record against the spread, etc for predicting college football scores. In our first outcome, the sheet predicted A&M losing its upcoming game. The prof shrugged and admitted that the sheets had to be improved over time by adding more data as the season progressed. As it turns out, A&M did lose the next game in a shocker. I can't find my notes for the class, and am desperately searching the internet for any help in building a similar spreadsheet. I understand that predicting correctly 60% of the time against the spread only yields a small profit after Vegas's -110 format, but it's a hobby we'd like to pursue. Could anyone offer any insight at all for us? I used to be somewhat competent with Excel, but now only plug and chug numbers for calculating engine emissions at my day job. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Naked Hiker
AG
This site does something similar, but probably more complicated for NFL games.
AggieBob08
AG
I used to do this for nfl games. Easily enough convertible to the college game. The hardest part is the data input...unless you can scrape. Which I spent forever trying to learn, learned it, and quickly ran out of time in life to pursue the project anymore. Best I ever got with the nfl was predicting what the Vegas spreads would be....which obviously doesn't help you beat the spread!!!!arg... Finally 60% would make you a ****ing millionaire. That is all
fta09
AG
You might try getting in touch with SpreadSheetAg. He does something similar for A&M during the season and might be able to offer some guidance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.