Educate me on Drones

1,121 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Squadron7
FrontPorchAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So my boss wants me to purchase a drone for shooting video footage for work. Does anyone any here have suggestions or experience using them? Any suggestion on what I should look for?
boy09
AG
DJI Phantom

But for the love of god, please do some research on where you should and shouldn't be flying before you put one of these things in the air. Too many people showing up in the news doing things they shouldn't be doing..
TravelAg2004
AG
DJI Phantom is going to be your best bet. Lots of great features including live-view and very easy to fly (relative to others).

You could look at building something, but that's probably more than you want to mess with.
coppag92
AG
Here is link to another thread they were discussed. Some info to get started with.

http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2569503/1
Absolute
AG
What about the Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon Quadcopter? Found it through various research in some article.

I have come close a couple times to buying the DJI Phantom, but the consistent horrible customer service reports and various reports of them losing contact with the controller and flying off have made me hesitate.

Thoughts? Looking for turnkey, but DJI seems, from my research at least, to not be a very good company.
agfan2013
AG
I've had no problems with my phantom 3. I did a lot of research too and saw some of the complaints with DJI's customer service but hopefully I never have to use it. I'd recommend them just for ease of use, the package has everything you need (except a phone to stream to of course) and it has all the bells and whistles right out of the box, gps, vision positioning system, live streaming, etc.

Seems like a lot of problems stem from the firmware updates the push out every so often, I didn't have any problems with the stock one that came on mine so I haven't updated at all and might never update it. I also think a lot of their early units probably had a few qc issues but since then they've tightened down on it and I've seen less complaints on the different forums about stuff like cracks on the outer shell and such.

FrontPorchAg
Thanks for the advice and the info. I think I am going to go with a Lily. I'm not really interested in flying it myself I just need the arial video footage for work.
92_Ag
AG
Not ready for sale yet, but I'm interested in how this unit performs.

Cyphy Works LVL 1
boy09
AG
quote:
Thanks for the advice and the info. I think I am going to go with a Lily. I'm not really interested in flying it myself I just need the arial video footage for work.
The Lily won't even ship until February, If that influences your decision at all...
easttexasaggie04
AG
I started with a $60 off of Amazon to learn to fly with. Then I made the jump to a DJI Phantom. Learn to fly on something that if it crashes it isn't a big deal.
bearamedic99
AG
Mtn guide = JB?
boy09
AG
quote:
What about the Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon Quadcopter? Found it through various research in some article.
Intel just invested $60mm in Yuneec. Maybe they're onto something...
labmansid
Better get one soon before they are outlawed due to all of the negative media coverage they are getting! Stupid people are going to ruin it for the rest of us.
rhutton125
AG
Drones better.
atmhockey
AG
what is your budget? High end would look at DJI Inspire and the 3D Robotics Solo. Both have amazing features.

easttexasaggie04
AG
DJI or 3DR anything else "aren't the drones you're looking for"
boy09
AG
Didn't the 3DR Solo have some issues when it was released? Don't know if all that stuff has been taken care of.
Squadron7
AG
quote:
DJI Phantom

But for the love of god, please do some research on where you should and shouldn't be flying before you put one of these things in the air. Too many people showing up in the news doing things they shouldn't be doing..

Well, that, and be aware that even if you are flying places that you should be that these devices seem to instantly make some people come off of their meds.

There really are people who think the only reason anyone would ever put a drone in the air is to spy on their pudgy daughters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.