DirecTV DVR Question.....

1,183 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Stive
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in a bit of a frustrating spot.....I accepted an upgrade from DirecTV to swap out all of my old equipment for a new Genie (sp). I didn't think about it when I signed up for it, but the technician said that I'm going to lose all of my recordings. He did say he's going to leave me the old DVR and have them send me a box later to ship it back but I've got some stuff that I'd rather not lose at all.

Is there any way to transfer recordings from a DirecTV DVR to a portable hard drive? Or a computer?
howdydamnit04
AG
Probably SOL. Check and see it you can get those episodes on demand.
Stive
AG
Some yes....many of them no.

Some are Johnny games from 2012. Others are movies from channel packages that I don't pay for anymore. Things like that.
hph6203
AG
You have to buy a HD PVR recorder like the ones made by Hauppauge and play/record them like you would with an old school VCR. Probably cheaper/easier to locate them and download them instead. You should be able to locate most relevant games for Manziel on YouTube and any movie you rip using the PVR you might as well torrent because that's the equivalent of what you would be doing.
bmc13
AG
I've had great success with the hauppauge hd-pvr. I've also used an elgato game capture device that worked well.
92_Ag
AG
How old are your old DVRs? Reason I ask is I had two HR21's when I upgraded and the technician stated they don't even want them back - so he left them behind and noted it as a "field destroy".

The downside is they won't work on your 'whole home' DVR network anymore unless you pay DirecTV the per DVR activation fee/month. But if you want more time to pull off videos, it does buy more time at your leisure to do so.

BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Some yes....many of them no.

Some are Johnny games from 2012. Others are movies from channel packages that I don't pay for anymore. Things like that.
The games are available online (YouTube) or on the 2012: The Season DVD/Blu Ray, if you can find it.
pasquale
AG
Call DTV and ask them to offer you movie channels for a few months so you can record movies again since you are losing equipment.
AMW2010
AG
"Movies" with adult content I bet I'd hate to loose them too'
OasisMan
AG
quote:
. Others are movies from channel packages that I don't pay for anymore. Things like that.

plenty of free pron sites
ABKitch
AG
Can't you just plug an external hard drive into the DVR, "move" the recordings over to it...hook up the new DVR, and then plug in your hard drive to it and transfer them?

They are not files that you'd be able to play on a computer, but my impression is that you CAN move recordings from one DVR to another.
bmc13
AG
I've never seen a directv dvr that would do that. would be nice, though.
Stive
AG
quote:
I've never seen a directv dvr that would do that. would be nice, though.
Yeah I don't think that would be possible.

Maybe....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.