PS4 Exclusive- Until Dawn

4,307 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tomdoss92
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Game comes out tomorrow and review embargo lifts in two hours. Imagine Cabin in the Woods meets I Know What You Did Last Summer meets Heavy Rain/Any Telltale Games game.

I have been looking around NeoGaf and some people got their hands on the game early. They are saying the game is much deeper than it initially appears and is going to be something special. Unlike Order 1886 in the weeks leading to its release, I haven't seen a negative reception yet or concerns about the game. I will be getting this.
Bryan98
AG
I haven't seen anything about it, but I'll check it out.

Semi-related: LOVE Cabin in the Woods. Everyone needs to see that movie without knowing anything about it. Man. An instant classic.
Saxsoon
AG
Embargo has lifted with solid 8s with a couple of 9s and the only 7 right now from ign. Every review is saying this game is something special. The first half hour is lackluster and written like true b grade horror but that was the point. Everyone is praising the characterization of the characters, the graphics, and how the game puts you in the situations where you yell at the screen not to go through that door but you do anyway in the heat of the moment.

The story, writing, and characters open up and become more than simple b grade schlock. Some are saying this will be in contention for their game of the year.
Bryan98
AG
I'm gonna have to YouTube some stuff to see what it looks like.

I'm not sure I've ever played a true horror game, unless you count Castlevania or Bloodborne. I love the horror/dark fantasy elements of the Souls series, but they aren't really meant to scare you other than through their difficulty.
agdoc2001
AG
Man, what a pleasant surprise. I had no expectations for this game, but looks like I'll have to pick it up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tex117
AG
Looks interesting for sure. Any work on how many hours to complete?

With The Taken King and Metal Gear Solid out there, there is going to be plenty to play come September.

mid90
AG
Looks pretty sweet.

Watching IGN's review video, it appears that they got at least a couple semi-legit actors to play a couple roles, and they modeled the character appearances after them.

Peter Stormare:

Rami Malek (snafu from The Pacific)

and Hayden Panitierre

mid90
AG
The video of the IGN employees' faces as they play the game is definitely worth watching.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/24/until-dawn-review?watch
Saxsoon
AG
Brett dalton (ward from agents of shield) plays the jock
Saxsoon
AG
Word is play through is 6-8 hours per run with plenty of replayabilty
Bryan98
AG
Man, Peter Stormare is the best! He's been great in so many movies and shows, and he was fantastic as Mattias from the Mercenaries games.

That Rami Malek guy is the star of Mr Robot, which my wife and I finally just started watching (no spoilers, please). The first episode was fantastic. Off topic, but we live in a golden age of TV drama.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Word is play through is 6-8 hours per run with plenty of replayabilty
That's what I've heard. Looks like 10 characters and any choice you make creates a different timeline.
TexAg1987
Really looking forward to this. I doubt it wins many GOTY awards over some of the heavy hitters this year though.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Really looking forward to this. I doubt it wins many GOTY awards over some of the heavy hitters this year though.

I don't think it will either but the fact that if it is even in the discussion is a major triumph to supermassive games considering most thought this would be like the Order1886.
TexAg1987
Agreed. Looks like a fun experience.
Bryan98
AG
I watched the IGN review and it was short on actual gameplay and long on story. They've definitely nailed the teen horror movie tropes. It looks like fun, and I actually like the fact that you can play through it in a reasonable amount of time.

Might be something good to play in the weeks before Halloween, or it might be something I pick up during some flash sale six months from now.
Saxsoon
AG
Just started playing for 20 minutes. Great start to the game. Also, in between the 10 chapters, Peter Stormare plays a psychologist and you can't tell if he is talking to you the player or (presumably) a character that survived the events of Until Dawn. It was wonderfully creepy and apparently choices there also play out in the game and he asks you your fears.

The graphics are gorgeous (modified Killzone ShadowFall engine, which will be used in Horizon Zero Dawn) and the environments are detailed. Facial animations are slightly off.

Story was written by Larry Fessenden and Graham Reznick, with credits such as House of the Devil and Innkeepers
Bryan98
AG
I look forward to further impressions! The reviews for this seem pretty strong, although there are a lot of different opinions. When I see a number of reputable, pro outlets awarding 8.5s, and some awarding 6es, I figure that it's a game that the right person will enjoy immensely. Just need to figure out if that's me.
Saxsoon
AG
I hAve come to the conclusion that polygon doesn't like playing games. Their reviews are pretty bad but their review of until dawn was particularly ****ty as they were complaining stuff that the developers have said had to happen and which other reviewers love (ie: the fact that there is no save system and your character stays dead on your mistake)
Bryan98
AG
Yeah, Polygon is weird. I loved them when they first started. Love the McElroys on MBMBAM. But Polygon has grown to have a pretty lousy reputation. And that one guy who writes a ton of op ed think pieces - Ben Kuchera - I cannot stand his work.

Anyway, as for the features you mentioned, I was like "OK, like Dark Souls. Makes sense that a horror game would want to make you live with any mistakes." It would dramatically lessen the tension otherwise.

And if the game really does play out in 6-8 hours, then it makes even more sense that you have to live with whatever happens. See the story through over the course of three evenings of gaming, and then try again if you want to get a different outcome.
Saxsoon
AG
I think they and a few of the lower ranked reviews also docked it for not being able to skip cutscenes but you can't. Traditional cutscenes are not that long and require qte or decisions throughout. This isn't a visual novel to take you to the binary choice path split
Saxsoon
AG
And sorry it auto saves, you just can't create your own save to go back
TexAg1987
Lost respect for Polygon when they gave The Last of Us a 7/10. I get that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but sometimes people are just wrong. That game was perfect. I almost always disagree with that website more than any other when it comes to game reviews.
MSCAg
AG
Makes me think of Heavy Rain.

Watching a walkthrough and the story seems pretty interesting.
Saxsoon
AG
Wow, I am 7 chapters in and the story just took a huge left turn. I thought they telegraphed who the clown was too early and there was a reason for that. I have no idea where this is going.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
The only reason I read Polygon is because I highly disagree with their reviews. TLOU a 7? Bayonetta 2 a 7.5? GTFO. Granted those aren't down right terrible scores, but I always check them out to see what games they crap on, cause they're probably actually good games.

Anyway, did you get this game digitally or retail? I read reports than people were having problems with the digital version. If digitally, have you run into any problems?

Saxsoon
AG
Retail, I knew I would play this once or twice and trade it in again. I already know I will be going for a no kill play through.
mid90
AG
quote:
Retail, I knew I would play this once or twice and trade it in again. I already know I will be going for a no kill play through.

What about a kill all play through?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
This has turned out to be one of my favorite games ever.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
One play through down. Three deaths. Should have been only two. I made a mistake with about three seconds to go. Not sure how I want to play it the second time. Make obvious incorrect choices to see different results? Or try to polish up those other three stories and save everyone?
Saxsoon
AG
Kinda spoilers

I lost two characters on my first run through but they came from decisions in the last chapter.

I replayed chapter 10 and got everyone to survive
Gramercy Riffs
AG
At the very last moment, I had to hold still and it said I moved. I still don't think I did. Went from two deaths to three real quick.
Saxsoon
AG
That last scene was implemented so well from the no moving standpoint. I have been so tense it hurts in a horror movie or game before
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Yeah, I loved it. Very well done. There was one "don't move" situation that just seemed to drag on forever though, and after nailing all of them for the entire game, I finally blew that one.
Saxsoon
AG
I failed it the first time, got it the second time.

In some ways, it pulled back the curtain on how your choices didn't matter (with the exception of 2 characters) in the last two chapters.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.