Modem Recommendation

724 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Aggiejue
Dumpster Fire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need to purchase a cable modem so I don't have to pay the rental fee for Grande's modem.

It needs to be DOCSIS 3.0. I already have the apple airport for wireless. Which modem is best/least expensive?

Thanks!
Aggiejue
AG
If you looking for only a cable modem I would suggest the Arris Surfboard 6183. Just make sure your selection has 16 channels downstream to take full advantage of speeds higher than 100mbps.
Cloud
quote:
If you looking for only a cable modem I would suggest the Arris Surfboard 6183. Just make sure your selection has 16 channels downstream to take full advantage of speeds higher than 100mbps.

+1 for the surfboard
Vade281
AG
quote:
quote:

+1 for the surfboard
+1 for this one.
bigtruckguy3500
SB6121 - $70 at best buy. Amazon may be cheaper, and you can price match at best buy. That's what I got for my parents. It's not the fanciest, but it'll handle any internet package they're going to get/need.
ExPLK
AG
I had a 6121 as well but it could only handle 50mb down with TWC. Not sure if your experience will differ with Grande. If you are interested in giving it a try, I'll give it to you for $30. I got a new Netgear to take advantage of the greater speeds of TWC Maxx and have no need for it any longer.
Dumpster Fire
I'm interested in the 6121 because I only pay for the 50Mbps with Grande right now.

If that's all I have/need would I need the 6183?

Besides the 16/8 channel difference, what is the reason for the price difference between the 6183 and the 6121?

Do I need to go with the 6183 with my current setup?
ExPLK
AG
I think the channel bonding is the primary difference. If your ISP only supports 50mb down, then the 6121 will work. I think the only reason to go with the 6183 would be in case your ISP offers a faster service and you would like to take advantage of it.

If you are content with 50mb down, I'd stick with the 6121 because it's cheaper and they are constantly improving the technology. Within a year a newer/faster model will be out and you can always upgrade later if you would like.

Just my $0.02.
ExPLK
AG
Forgot to add contact info in case you wanted to buy the 6121 from me. If not, no worries.

Terryderrick AT hotmail
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
I think the channel bonding is the primary difference. If your ISP only supports 50mb down, then the 6121 will work. I think the only reason to go with the 6183 would be in case your ISP offers a faster service and you would like to take advantage of it.

If you are content with 50mb down, I'd stick with the 6121 because it's cheaper and they are constantly improving the technology. Within a year a newer/faster model will be out and you can always upgrade later if you would like.

Just my $0.02.

Spot on. Don't bother with the 6183 if you will be sticking with your current setup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.