Disposing of old PC and laptops

627 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Fife
loveaTm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an old PC and two laptops that have pretty much become obsolete or broken. How do dispose of them responsibly?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flush them down the toilet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But seriously, I would go outside and smash them to bits with a hammer. Don't know if that's environmentally friendly or not but I've always wanted to do that.
jay040
You can always buy an external hard drive case (make sure it's compatible with a laptop size hard drive), then connect the laptop hard drive to your current machine and wipe the drive.
jopatura
AG
Take out the harddrives. Smash it with a hammer a few times. Gather everything up and take it to any Best Buy for free electronic recycling.
kb2001
AG
-Clean the drives using DBAN, minimum 3 passes
-Open the drives up, get the awesome magnets
-Take to Best Buy to recycle, I think they'll accept 3 items per day per person
Pman17
AG
I took in a bad router to Best Buy. The guy at the front said just to leave it on the customer service counter. They'll take anything electronic, just be sure to wipe or destroy any hard drives that had sensitive data, even if you erased it.
Quad Dog
AG
My kids and I took apart two old laptops, and I explained every part I could. They thought it was cool, then I donated it to Best Buy.
loveaTm
AG
Thanks y'all!
bigtruckguy3500
If I were to just take in some old motherboards, video cards, etc, Best Buy would still take it, right? Like if I wanted to reuse my case?
The Fife
Yeah, as far as I know.

We've always reused the old hard drives with the next computer, and inevitably needed something that was forgotten about on there some time later so it's worked out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.