Neighbor with AT&T Uverse GigaPower...me only AT&T DSL

3,284 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PooDoo
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I live in a subdivision built in 2007 which is 1000 ft from some friends of ours in a separate subdivision built in 2015. He just had AT&T Uverse Gigapower installed and has clocked his speeds at 800 mbps. My subdivision does not have any access to true high speed internet. The fastest I can get is 8 mbps with AT&T DSL.

Because of this, my friend has mentioned he'd be willing to install a high gain directional wifi antenna on his house, I could install one on mine with a wifi repeater to essentially create a wifi hotspot inside my house. I would pay him some amount for doing this.

Has anyone done this over a distance of 1000ft with sparse trees in between? What kind of speeds could I expect on a PC connected to my wifi hotspot via the wifi repeater if he gets 800 mbps on his end?
Picard
AG
That's a good way to lose a friend. AT&T specifically prohibits this and will shut him down when they find it.

Enviroag02
AG
Heck I'd be willing to pay AT&T to allow me to do it since they don't and won't offer high speed to my subdivision.
Griffle
AT&T Employee here...will watch thread.
Enviroag02
AG
Griffle, do you have the ability to give me a true technical reason why Uverse service can not be provided to a specific address? I've done the address verification twice in the past few months, and all I get is "Uverse is not available at this address". I know its available less than 1000 ft away so I'd like to know why it technically isnt at my address. Something as simple as the VRAD is located "here" which is too far away, etc. Would also be nice to know if there are any plans to bring Uverse to my neighborhood. There are about 85 houses in the subdivision all on 1-2 acre lots. I would guess that 80% or more would go with Uverse if it was available.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Griffle, do you have the ability to give me a true technical reason why Uverse service can not be provided to a specific address? I've done the address verification twice in the past few months, and all I get is "Uverse is not available at this address". I know its available less than 1000 ft away so I'd like to know why it technically isnt at my address. Something as simple as the VRAD is located "here" which is too far away, etc. Would also be nice to know if there are any plans to bring Uverse to my neighborhood. There are about 85 houses in the subdivision all on 1-2 acre lots. I would guess that 80% or more would go with Uverse if it was available.
At one point my friend couldnt get Uverse in her apartment (maybe still cant havent asked in a while) but the guys that lived in the 4 plex right across the sidewalk had it.

Apparently it was an install issue, but it was kinda funny, half of the apartment complex had Uverse and the other half could only get Comcast.
Griffle
**This is high-level understanding, I do not speak with 100% knowledge of your situation and all of the technical components**

It has to do with signal loss which I am sure you already know. So if they establish a VRAD in a neighborhood, they have a limit on how far away they will have the ability to effectively deliver service. The company doesn't want to sell someone "iffy" service because they are just 25 feet past the limit.

Though the company gets a lot of complaints about stuff like this, imagine if you were sold a service that they knew they couldn't support well without further infrastructure build out. Truck rolls, complaints to the call center, etc would all cost money. That doesn't include your dissatisfaction and what you tell 100 of your friends and the potential of losing a customer(s) over it.

The next question, "well they have it across the street, why don't they just get it on this side of the street?". Again, you are talking signal loss (distance from the central office/switch, etc.) as well as rollout schedule.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for your neighborhood as I don't have access to that type of planning.

I may have just told you a bunch of stuff you already know. Please ban this user if deemed a failure.

Griffle
IceCream brings up a tasty point...

Carriers have rights to certain areas, sometimes an apartment complex or subdivision falls on a border of one of those areas and one side gets this, the other gets that.
culdeus
AG
There are strings of people in my neighborhood that daisy chain internet. It's the new "stealing cable". The uverse routers suck but you get a big base station or even in some cases just run cat6 (ghetto).

Shocked I haven't seen threads here on the topic.

Enviroag02
AG
It just seems ridiculous to me that I havent had to use DSL since I lived at home with my parents nearly 20 yrs ago! I also live in the DFW metroplex in a growing area (Rockwall) AND the people across the street have high speed internet AND an entire subdivision of 85 homes originally built by the same developer as the new subdivision with Uverse does not have anything faster than 8 mbps.

I would be willing to entering into an agreement with AT&T to allow me to share my neighbors wifi. Surely they wouldnt force me to spend $50/month on crappy DSL when I'd be willing to pay $75-$100/month to share my neighbors wifi.
culdeus
AG
Look, at some point the "walls" will come down. The technology is there to put up what amounts to WiMax towers in neighborhoods and they sell you access to it.

It's already in several areas being demonstrated this is possible just on an amateur DIY level. I've got people that are "stealing" from 4 houses away and it's just like they had full service.

The whole everyone needs a router thing is going to look seriously outdated in a decade.
cecil77
AG
Three miles out of town in the Hill Country and I have 80 megabit fiber. Gigabit is available, I just don't want to pay fit. Coops are great!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
It just seems ridiculous to me that I havent had to use DSL since I lived at home with my parents nearly 20 yrs ago! I also live in the DFW metroplex in a growing area (Rockwall) AND the people across the street have high speed internet AND an entire subdivision of 85 homes originally built by the same developer as the new subdivision with Uverse does not have anything faster than 8 mbps.

I would be willing to entering into an agreement with AT&T to allow me to share my neighbors wifi. Surely they wouldnt force me to spend $50/month on crappy DSL when I'd be willing to pay $75-$100/month to share my neighbors wifi.

What neighborhood? We lived in Woodcreek in Fate until 3 weeks ago and I had 24Mbps through U-Verse.

Now, I live in the shores and have....24Mbps through U-verse (to be fair, I think I'm on the plan for 15 Mbps which is, IMO, plenty for almost anyone not needing to torrent stuff or do tons of offsite backups of huge files, but when I run speed test it usually hits around 22Mbps)

Are you absolutely sure that you can't get one of the faster tiers? I could see a case where two homes are that close and one gets Gigapower and the other gets the standard U-verse offerings, but it seems odd that U-verse would have Gigapower and then so close by not have anything beyond 8.

I'd call and tell them you want 15, 18 or 24 and ask if they can come out and take a look if the website says no.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Look, at some point the "walls" will come down. The technology is there to put up what amounts to WiMax towers in neighborhoods and they sell you access to it.

It's already in several areas being demonstrated this is possible just on an amateur DIY level. I've got people that are "stealing" from 4 houses away and it's just like they had full service.

The whole everyone needs a router thing is going to look seriously outdated in a decade.

From a security/privacy standpoint, that sounds terrifying.
Enviroag02
AG
The neighborhood is Chisholm Crossing in Mclendon Chisholm. The subdivision with Gigapower is Chisholm Crossing Phase 4 I think on the other side of FM 550.
LostInLA07
AG
AT&T won't figure it out.
culdeus
AG
quote:
quote:

From what perspective? You worried about someone hacking your phone? It's the same concept.
Griffle
quote:
The neighborhood is Chisholm Crossing in Mclendon Chisholm. The subdivision with Gigapower is Chisholm Crossing Phase 4 I think on the other side of FM 550.
Interesting, I didn't know that Gigapower was out there. I grew up in Terrell and my parents still live there and can't even get U-verse at their house yet. I would not have expected McClendon Chisolm to be a Gigapower served area.

The more you know...
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

From what perspective? You worried about someone hacking your phone? It's the same concept.

Except that when you say people no longer need routers, you're not really talking about the same thing at all. Inside a house, people may not care if their phones can "hook up", but they're likely to want their NAS and their Roku to be able to talk to each other.

There may be a more globally accessible point of entry to the internet, but there will always be a need for an device that can manage all of the items behind it in a house versus simply having everyone in the city on the same "LAN".

Pman17
AG
We should have a thread of who has Gigabit in Texas. I'm curious to see where it actually is. The AT&T site says Dallas has it, but it's the cities just outside of Dallas that have it.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
My co-worker lives downtown (in one of the buildings at the St. Paul stop on the DART rail) and he has it, so I would say it is definitely in some parts of Dallas proper.
cecil77
AG
Boerne!
Bregxit
AG
It is possible that AT&T didn't put fiber into your subdivision in 2007 and either hasn't gotten around to doing it yet or has no plans to. You have to have fiber at least to the node, then they can use twisted pair to the house.
The Fife
quote:
quote:

Yup, it's all fun and games until a pedo shows up.
PooDoo
AG
Also, I'm told each node only supports a certain number of customers. So if you move into a neighborhood that is already maxed you have to wait for them to install a new node or for someone to switch providers.

Anyway, I was talking to a tech in my neighborhood that wanted to get a closer look at my '58 pu and he gave me a number to call. I was getting 24/6 paying $65/mo. Upgraded to 75/8 paying $54 with a 1 yr contract.
1 (877) 377-0414
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.